Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-08-13, 06:30 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Cranks......?

Well I decided to learn cranks this year.
Just like hairpin spinners....they NEVER seem to work with even close to the success rate others seem to have.
Now I've caught a few....mostly under legal but I don't think I've ever caught more then ONE fish during an outting.
I've had some follows but I'm almost ready to put them in a box with the hair pins and forget about them.
Hair pins and cranks seem like they should be one of the easiest baits to throw......not for me.
Most know I research and TRY most everything and anything.
I got Bandits, Strike kings, Rapalas, Xcalibures (sp) and many, many more brands.I've got every depth imaginable but the waters I fish I usually throw 7 ft or less divers.
I got floaters, sinkers, slow sinking. Fast sinking. Slow floating. Fast floating and everything in between.
I got sexy shad colors, perch colors, blue gill colors, blue and silver, green and white, craw colored Live Targets and almost every color imagineable.

Now I've had tremendous success with lipless and have fished them for a long time but to me they are closer to a blade bait than a true crank.
I've burned them. I've stop and reeled them. I've straight reeled them,fast and slow. I've reeled them with just a minute pause and longer pauses. I've slow reeled floaters similar to wake baits. (which I also have numerous) I've dragged them churning the bottom, usually square bills for this. I've swam them just above the grass and/or vegatation. I've fished them through and along lay downs. I even have Raps that I've ripped through sparse vegatation.
I may have seen EVERY U tube video made on the subject.

Before I throw in the towel I thought I'd ask you anglers.
I'm not really interested in getting more, but maybe would consider.
So I'm really asking technique solutions more than brand solutions seeing I have almost every brand already.

First question and as usual I have many, is...don't they all spring the trebles up and out of the way when you hit limbs, rocks, ect., like a square bill does. I know a square bill may do it better but they all do it, right?
Second, isn't fall a good time for cranks seeing the bass should be school feeding?
The waters I've fished are more shallow than deep so square bills to about 6 foot divers to me seem to be the best for me.

Now I'm looking for ALL ideas, not just the two questions. That's just a starting point.

*oh I may have multiple cranks I'm willing to part with soon, CHEAP *

Last edited by joedog; 10-08-13 at 06:40 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 08:07 PM   #2
Marty

There is no possibility that I can think of other than you just haven't fished these in the right place at the right time. You do not need more brands, models and colors.

Good luck.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 09:12 PM   #3
Jrob78

Stick with the sq bills for now and fish them faster than you think you should. Burn them and crash them into anything and everything! Get a plug knocker and prepare to lose a few, it will happen. Match the bait colors to the water clarity but don't fret too much about it. A fast stop and go retrieve with lots of deflections will catch fish, especially this time of year!!
Old 10-08-13, 09:50 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Why your having trouble with the cranks is beyond me. Like Marty said. Right place, right time. But you have all you need. I'm sure your using the right tackle with all the research you always do. Some bodies of water are different than others. Some in here swear by lipless cranks. I get a few early in spring and that's it. I throw them the rest of the year from time to time but never catch anything on them. Well, rarely anyways. Fall is an excellent time for cranks. As jrob said, stick with square bills for now. Maybe toss a medium deep diver if now action is had shallow. I can tell you, I have far fewer hang ups with square bills that other style lipped baits. Watching a demo on tv once comparing square bills to other cranks, the square bills bounced off and over most snags, while other lip styles tend to slid off to the side of snags and hang up more frequently. Good luck!
Old 10-08-13, 10:51 PM   #5
joedog

Marty, Joe, Keith, thanks.
I do enjoy throwing squares....so that won't be the problem!
I want them to work for me so bad.
With my equipment and the cranks today....the feel of the setup just intriques me. Think that's why I like squares. I LOVE the feel of them crashing into everything.
I've thrown them on almost every outing this year....granted, sometimes less than 20 min. but I threw.
But the deeper divers, 7- 10ft, that slight vibration and anticipated hit.....man I want that ONE 3lber or better STRIKE SO BAD.

I always thought cranking would be so boring.....I WAS WRONG!
I threw two tonight....nothing but those two cranks.
One was a Storm....WOW, the rattling was so loud I could hear it when it was a foot deep.... which was it's max depth, which is the reason I threw it,
Worked a shore/bank just beyond the still living weeds/grass/veg. up to shore/bank
We're getting die off up north here.
Other was a Rap, 5-6 max depth that I threw OVER the vegatation.
Both squares and both floaters. Although very slow float.
One strike.....maybe I was semi burning it in 3-4 feet of water. so maybe it was a rock?

I've thrown so many cranks this year that I can literally feel the action change with the thinest peice of grass caught on a single hook of a treble.

Man I can't tell you how bad I want that BIG bite on a crank!

Thanks again guys!
Old 10-09-13, 04:00 AM   #6
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The clarity of the water can have an affect on your success rate as well. I like silent baits in clearer water. KVD has a silent series. Some Rapalas & Bagleys are rattle-less as well.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 05:29 AM   #7
joedog

AUFred thank you.
Ya I threw a silver black top KVD silent last week.
Can't remember exactly if I caught one or none.
The water had about ...maybe...2feet of visibility.

I'm telling you, I truely have given this challenge my usual anal dedication that I seem to put into most everything but especially fishing.
I think the only thing I haven't thrown is a one knocker and that I have but left in package still because I thought maybe it would bring me more when I SELL the whole mess of cranks.

AUFred, thanks again.

Last edited by joedog; 10-09-13 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-09-13, 06:19 AM   #8
kennethdaysale

Dang Joe.............? I read your OP 15 minutes ago and I've been thinking of some way to help you ever since. Normally when someone says they never catch any Bass on _______ it's almost certainly because they never throw_________. (Embrey) In your case let's assume that's not the case.
I'm certainly not as devoted to cranks as somebody like Shawn but I have caught thousands of Bass on them and have as much confidence in them as any bait I own.
Whenever I'm trying to instill confidence in someone else (or myself) regarding a new bait/technique my #1 goal is to get lots of hits and boat lots of fish, so I almost always start with small baits/light tackle. Like if I'm wanting my wife to get the feel/hang of worming I'll have her throw a 4" finesse Trick on #8 line and a BB shot. When I decided to get good with a jig I started with 1/16 and 1/8 Bitsy Bugs on light baitcasting tackle....yada yada yada.....it works.
Soooooooooo I am going to humbly recommend that you get several #5 and #7 Silver Shad Raps and throw them on #6 mono with a good 7' M Spinning rod and the right reel for that line and get out there in that 5-7 ft of water you're fishing and throw-throw-throw. If you don't start catching some fish and gaining confidence................maybe you need to consider an Exorcism
Old 10-09-13, 09:21 AM   #9
joedog

Thanks Ken.
Ya my thinking too.
The smaller lures
I'm basicly throwing a 5 to 7 size. ( another challenge is once out of the box, I really have no clue the exact size but I'm basically throwing 2.5 to three inch lures mostly squares because now they have squares that will swim to almost any depth and I'm feeling the fish aren't really deep yet so I'm throwing the depths I mentioned. The KVD silent was a 1.5
You can see I'VE BEEN THROWING them every outing. ( so lack of trying isn't a challenge)
I'm sure I got Shad Raps because I have TONS of Raps but again the Rapala company seems to want to put the word 'RAP' in every lure they make now so once out of the box....no idea what the name is.
I'm using 7' spinning and Baitcasters and one 8lb. floro and one 10lb floro. Both poles Mediums but have used a 6'6" in kayak that was med. heavy.(in anticapation of that big bite)
I can even work cranks through trees and lay downs with hardly ever a hang up. (thank uTube for teaching me that technique)
I can throw them cranks A LONG WAYS ON ALMOST ANY POLE. I'm a long caster to cover large pieces of water quicker.
I've literally think I've caught ONE fish on almost every crank I've thrown. (except that noisey Storm deal but that only got thrown one outing, last night) Now remember, I may have had to throw 'x-bait' numerous outings before a fish, but still a fish. I think maybe one crank got me 3-4 fish, the rest , one a piece. I think I got a good feel for the baits and can actually feel almost any change on retreive. (did catch one fish last week in kayak, but when I peddle and move longer distance I usually throw a crank out and drag it to my next spot, so it was more of a trol but that fish had no strike at all and I actually thought it was a snag veg. due to NO FIGHT at all)

The Exorcism
My Preist told me that Catholics no longer do Exorcisms and until I get this cranking thing right I won't have time to switch religions.
But it's definitly still on the table!
Again, thank you Ken
Old 10-09-13, 02:38 PM   #10
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default where you fish?

Hell brother, after reading your OP, I have to wonder where are you fishing? If I fished that much anywhere around here with a crank of whatever type, I would be catching fish.
I was fortunate enough to know one of the big time TV star fishing personalities a few years back. I had a serious sit down with him one time, and I posed the simple question to him: 'How do you catch all those big fish all the time?' his response was pretty simple and very telling at the same time, he said simply 'Don, I fish where there's big fish at!'

So, all kidding aside, it sounds like your a pretty thorough guy, and your knowledge of the various fishing techniques sounds good as well, so I would seriously consider where you are fishing, and if possible try some new waters.

Good Luck!
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 05:37 PM   #11
joedog

Fish, thank you for your input.
Wish I could blame it on NO FISH but the anglers around here probably won't let it fly.
I fish multiple waters.
5 bodies frequently plus a river.

Pic 2 and 4 are different fish taken back to back on Texas rigged Space Monkey.

I don't know if I can blame it on no fish or small fish?
7lber taken from same water in Pic 1 that another kid caught this spring that I posted earlier this year.
I have more pics plus numerous 4-5 lbers.
Heavily fished waters though.

Thanks again Fish.

Last edited by joedog; 10-09-13 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-09-13, 06:20 PM   #12
merc1997

joe dog, cranks are just like the rest of our fishing tools. there is most definitely a time and place. right now in many areas, cranks are a great fishing tool to use. you are wise to have a variety of brands, because the wobble varies from one brand to another, and the wobble and depth are two things you have to experiment with. as far as color, i would rather have the right wobble and depth than color. there are just times that bass want the lure traveling on a horizontal plane, and that is where cranks definitely come into play. don't give up on crankbaits. they are a great fishing tool just as jigs are. as much as i love fishing a jig, there are just times that you need to be throwing a crankbait. they can be a great search tool because of the amount of water you can cover.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 06:41 PM   #13
joedog

Bo, thank you for your great input.
I haven't given up......yet.
BUT,
last night I threw two different cranks and nothing else.....nothing.
This morning a threw two different cranks for an hour and 1/2......NOTHING again.
There were bass fry along bank but NOTHING hunting them other than a bird of some sort.
Almost put on a hairpin spinner I was so frustrated. But that would probably lead to more frustration cause I can't seem to fish them either.
Seems to be the only 2 techniques I can't get the hang of or bite on.
I have only blanked one other time this year, now back to back outings.....ON CRANKS!
Old 10-10-13, 04:32 PM   #14
joedog

Default continuing w/questions

Ok, I know a lot of folks say to throw hairpins when the water has some chop to it.

Does the same apply to cranks? (not wake baits)

Lets say your on a point and small chop, 8mph wind. Left side of point has chop and right is protected from wind so no chop at all. Everything else is equal. (structure ect.)
Excluding the obvious, throw both sides, do you think left or right side should produce more on a crank?
Or both should produce equally?
Old 10-10-13, 05:56 PM   #15
Dave63

Usually the windy side. Usually. Not always. Don't give up on the squarebills. Once you get in the right place at the right time, you will be hooked. I have probably caught 50% of my fish on them this year and before I hadn't really every used them. Anyplace where they will bounce off of stuff or dig along the bottom...
Old 10-10-13, 06:19 PM   #16
joedog

Dave, thank you for the input.

Last night after an hour of throwing Sq. crank I was ready to put a jig on and toss into lay down so I burned it back not paying attention at all. Actually had my back turned walking off pier and to other rods....sure enough...BAM, just 15-16 in. but chunky.

So changed my mind and continued cranking and burning.
Once again....one fish and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING MORE.
Old 10-10-13, 09:28 PM   #17
Fish30114

Well Joedog, sorry it's not simply a case of missing fish, but I have another theory for you at this time. At least for me this time of year the fish are slowing down and again, for me, I slow down too. This time of year is when I predominately shaky head fish. Again just a theory for you, but I have really good success with the spot remover head and a larger worm/craw or whatever soft plastic rings my bell. A friend of mine says 'fish are greedy' and he likes to rig 2 yes 2 worms on his hooks and fish wacky weightless hooked, bouncing em along the bottom slowly--he also does really well this time of year. So maybe not your answer to fishing cranks but another thought to try.

Good Luck whatever you try!
Old 10-10-13, 11:44 PM   #18
joedog

Fish thanks.
Ya, this cranking deal is just a Joe thing. I need to feel able to fish ANY bait at least to a confinence level.
I actually have a couple worm/fluke specific rods. I have another rigged power drop shot. (here I can fish two baits, actually 3 but I wieght my drop shot with a 1/4 oz finnesse jig and switch up the mid hook with 4-6 in worm, fluke or other minnow type bait and the shakey head worms I got. (haven't used them for shakey heading even though I got numerous stand-up and shakey jigs)
Another two for jigging or creature baits and two switch up poles. (all purpose fish numerous different techniques)
And ya, now I got two set for cranking But that dang Bo got me focused on jigging again so I worked hard on flipping, pitching, swimming, hopping, crawling jigs. Every year I try to perfect/complicate a new technique and this year I had to learn kayaking all the techniques I was used to large boat/shore bustting. Come the end of Sept. and I realized I hadn't tryed/complicated anything new this season.
Hence the cranks.

I've cranked before and as you see got quite a few cranks. These aren't all new, actually most aren't. My monkey is a happy critter! (wow that sounds bad )
I just never focused on them because they just don't produce for me. Just like hairpin spinners. Inline fine, hairpin,awlfull.
I'm a very SICK man!!!!!

I always want to catch MORE fish but I'm an anal fisherman and could probably need to find the best way to bobber fishing and complicate that. ( actually set up my float and fly set up on one of other rods that has just been begging for action since last fall ) 50 degree water is just around the corner.

And I have a lot more cranking questions.
Hey for your buddy,
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...duct/10217613/

Thanks again Fish.

Last edited by joedog; 10-11-13 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-11-13, 12:49 PM   #19
Fish30114

Well Joe, good luck in your continuation of the addiction. I see you have it well in hand!
I have never seen those worms you posted a link to, my buddy Harry will love those!
Best--Don
Old 10-16-13, 12:39 PM   #20
Rebbasser

Joe, try different baits until you find one that works. What I mean is if you have several identical baits try them all. For some reason one bait will produce where an identical bait will not. I keep a sharpie in my gear and when I catch a fish on a crankbait I put a dot on the bill so I know that bait produces. That way I can separate the producers from the non-producers.
Old 10-16-13, 03:01 PM   #21
joedog

Reb GREAT sharpie idea!
I have at least one sharpie in every tackle bag cause I use them on braided line to cut down visibility.

I will give it a a shot!
Old 10-27-13, 12:19 AM   #22
joedog

So I'm still at it anglers.

Now I found in someones blowout bin, a Clackin'Crank. $4
http://www.buzzillions.com/image.dox...#ixzz2itCV4up1

That's the color, Mossback Shinner, I believe it's called.
CNC55, 2'' 5/16oz. and 5 foot dive square bill.

I've had ok success with it but still no biggies.Last week caught 3
and today got three.

Now here's my review.

It's a slow rising one knocker.
It almost suspends, it rises so slow. Alot slower than traditional square bills.
So when it hits something it stalls like an 1/8 in. above bottom. It then real real slowly starts to float up. Kind of like the collision stuns it.

So I'm thinking , why not try jerking it with long pauses. Over like 10 ft. plus water bring it back to the shallows.
It was like 40 degrees with sun, but 15mph winds. So a little chill to the air.

Now the three a caught were 14-16 inches but no real bulk.
BUT, I only fished like 45 mins.
I really like the slow rise but only 1 strike jerking. Caught me day dreaming and I set to fast to early.
Had a fast action tip, so not the best setting technique on a crank. Now like the Raps, it really is easy to rip and dislodge vegatation too.
Worked it over grass like five feet down. But shore busting it gets shallow closer to bank.

Oh and I knew I wasn't staying long so I only took the one setup and only threw the Crank.

Now for today's questions.
1) It seems that frequently, especially with wind, these cranks have a tendency to wobble and somewhat spin on the cast.Not always but often enough. Now I know it's not the line cause I don't have twist throwing anything else, except maybe flukes and that just comes with the territory.

2) I have yet to have one actually engulf the whole crank. Actually today one was foul hooked on the lower jaw.
Seems most are rear treble hooked. And the biggest cranks I throw are like 3".

So am I doing something wrong or is that just the nature of the beast?
Old 10-27-13, 08:08 PM   #23
Dave63

That's part of the deal. with a 3 incher, they don't always eat it. You can tell when they are convinced though...LOL. The crankbait bite down here is starting to slow way down.
Old 10-30-13, 12:14 AM   #24
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Reb GREAT sharpie idea!
I have at least one sharpie in every tackle bag cause I use them on braided line to cut down visibility.

I will give it a a shot!
Thanks, Joe-I even managed to get that tip printed in Bassmaster a couple of months back
Old 12-24-13, 11:17 AM   #25
joedog

Default Ok Cranking update

Threw them till the end.
Well that and Float'n'Fly.

Well it got cold and I threw towards the end mostly the crank shown above...I think.
Switched up at times with a suspending hard jerk bait.

But the cool deal with the Rap I was using, was it was a square-bill that swam 5-8' and when stopped it would turn, face fish and then suspend,
When draged or pumped against the bottoms and stopped it would hover right at the bottom like a 1/2 in off bottom.

Caught like a dozen but still.........not a 100 percent confident YET.

Want to thank everyone for the great input but as always......I got a question.

Now I know squares have a tighter wiggle.
I know they are designed to dig the bottom.
I know the small square lip is designed to kick tail up in laydowns.
BUT
Can't you fish them over open water?
Better yet, DOES anyone fish them over open water?

Especially shorebusting.
The water may start deep but usually gets shallow/er closer to shore and end of retrieve.
Like when I bring them through a deeper laydown or whole sunken tree.
Before I hit the branches and after I clear the branches, I've gotten numerous bites.
Basically open water BUT connected or close to structure.
Other than the tighter wiggle and with the slow upward float or suspending ability shouldn't open water non structure laiden water be acceptable technique.
If fished slow the wiggle drastically decreases too.

Anyways I've really given them a go and will be using at the start of next season again.
I really have been intriqued by this little endeaver.

There is such a HUGE variety of cranks to.
Hey, is a suspending hard body jerk/slash bait considered a crank bait?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.