Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-17-06, 11:18 PM   #1
abugarcia6
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default cold front movin in need help

im fishin a pond tommorrow thats not been fished in a good time..has huge bass in it and i need help, Tommorrow's water temp will b in the 30's the water will b muddy since itll be rainin and cover is brush and logs its on a point that ill fish off the side of pond, not in boat wut lure and wut color shuld i use?
Old 02-17-06, 11:39 PM   #2
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

JIG it...black & blue w/ a craw trailer...that should work.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 11:41 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Driz
JIG it...black & blue w/ a craw trailer...that should work.
Fished veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ry slowly if the water is that cold.
Old 02-17-06, 11:44 PM   #4
NCYankee

I've not been successful with a jig lately. I seem to do better with noisy cranks in crawdad color.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-06, 11:45 PM   #5
abugarcia6

good i just bought me one of them manns -4 in crawdad but i heard use that color neer rock bottoms?
Old 02-17-06, 11:48 PM   #6
abugarcia6

actually culd yall just tell me how, where, and what to fish this time of the year bcuz i fish all the time in the winter but never catch nething, but then spring summer and fall come and i catch them very easy. I need to get better at winter fishin so could yall just tell me sum basics on winter fishin?
Old 02-17-06, 11:56 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Think deep, Abu. When the water is real cold they head for deep water-usually near steep dropoffs. Bass, like people, like comfort, so they go deep where the water is warmer. They may move up shallow at times, but for the most part they are in or near deep water. Strangely enough they do the same thing in the summer-looking for cooler water. One good thing is they tend to bunch up in deeper water, so if you can find them you can catch a bunch. I use mainly 2 lures-a jig-n-pig and a suspending jerkbait. A jigging spoon is supposed to be good but I have yet to master that one.
Old 02-18-06, 12:39 PM   #8
abugarcia6

wut kind of suspending jerkbait do u use reb?
Old 02-18-06, 12:46 PM   #9
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Abu, you said the water is muddy colored? Check shallower cover for the fish. When water is muddy, predator fish stay closer to cover because even though the water might be cold, there will still be some light penetration and the baitfish will move to these areas. That was something I recently found out while fishing over the course of this winter. All the magazines say to fish deep, but usually they're referring to bigger lakes and not ponds. You can always find the fish shallow in a pond. Just look for cover, drop offs, and ditches. That's where they'll be.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 01:20 PM   #10
abugarcia6

allright thanks. I was thinkn on goin fishn today and try these tactics out but its snowin here and it dont look like its letin up so i mite try tommorrow or later on. Oh and do topwaters such as a popper or a torpedo work in the winter?
Old 02-18-06, 03:11 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Abu-I like Lucky Craft Pointers, X-Raps, and Suspending Rogues.

Topwaters will work in the winter if the water isn't too cold. If it has been snowing I would think it is probably too cold, but there is only one way to find out-throw it and see.
Old 02-19-06, 10:11 AM   #12
lizardsrule

You need to hit the target with your cast. The fish will be very tight to the wood/cover. You need to hit them on the nose. Any sog=ft plastic that has a lot of water movement, such as zipper worms, lizards, brush hawgs will work, and a jig with a rattle for added benefit(due to the muddy conditions). I persoanlly like the Paca Craw, because of the movement of the claws is great. If'n I was you I'd work the heck out of the brush and logs, and also a c-rig on the point. Good fishing, and as always when fishing a cold front or after, lower your expectations. If you think you're gonna catch a ton of them, and don't, then you're very dissapointed, if you realize that cold fronts IMO are one of the toughest things to deal with in Bassin, at least in shallower bodies of water, then you'll do fine.

Lizards
Old 02-20-06, 09:02 PM   #13
abugarcia6

haha im sry reb..but i wuldnt spend 15 dollars on something that more than likly will lose...them lucky craft pointers are too expensive but i got an xrap and a smithwick rouge but i heard u use those when the water is about 50 degrees..the only two bass ive caught this year was on one of them too

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.