Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-10-06, 02:47 PM   #1
FishinWrestler
BassFishin.Com Member

Default topwater

Since i am new to bass fishing i was wondering some basics tips on when and how to use them. Also witch ones work best in the fall.
FishinWrestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 03:01 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Several topwater lures come to mind, the buzzbait, the popR, Jitterbug.

The most common areas to throw topwater is shallow water(but not always) 1-5 ft.
you can throw a buzzbait and reel it back, if you see a bass take it, wait a second or so to set the hook. Also you can run the buzzbait into objects and deflect off of them as you reel it back
The other two lures ..the popR and jitterbug, you can reel a few times, let it sit, then continue..OR, you can pop both as much as you want all the way back to ya.
Try repeated cast over the same areas with all top water.
My personal preference with the popR is to cast it, let it set, then start a cadence of one of two pulls, let it set for a second, then repeat.
many on here like to have a steady retrieve with the jitterbug.
I'd get a 4 or 5 inch buzzbait, in white or black skirt, and start throwing it, you 'll have some fun!

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 05:14 PM   #3
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

JB is right but to add on to this another great lure is scum frogs. If you fish clear water you can usually find suspended bass in deep water. For me topwaters can slay a lot of bass in this situation.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 08:01 PM   #4
FishinWrestler
BassFishin.Com Member

Is there a good top water bite in the morning or in the evening, and which time of year is best to throw them. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 10-10-06, 10:43 PM   #5
keithdog

My favorite topwater for the spring is actually not technically a top water, but can be used as such. That would be a 4 1/2 inch Smithwick Floating Rattlin Rogue. Just twitched on top and jerked just under the surface is a real killer approach in early spring. However, for the rest of the year I have a new favorite topwater bait that has outfished all my others I have in my box. Unfortuanately, I cannot remember what this lure is called but it is made by the YO-ZURI bait company. It is similar to a zara spook but shaped more like a bannana which gives it amazing action and very easy walk the dog retrieves. Also it contains BB's for a rattle too. Since I started throwing this lure I hardly ever use anything else for topwater. The Heddon Baby Torpedo is a good little topwater too. It was my favorite untill my YO-ZURI topwater came along. I use my topwaters in the early morning hours, or on cloudy afternoons when the water is calm. I'm sure nite fishing with them would work well too, but since I rarely fish at night time I cannot say for sure. When I do fish at night I'm usually using a spinnerbait.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 12:12 AM   #6
tenmilefisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to tenmilefisher Send a message via Yahoo to tenmilefisher

during fall its gonna be a little harder then in the spring. but try a buzzbait near lillypads,milfoil,sunken tree's,pilings,ect. also try a rapala skitter pop in shallow coves and points. fall topwater can be very hard, but on occasion can be great. also another thing to think about is a lot of us are in different area's. which can make for a totaly different bite. good luck and i hope you catch some fish on some topwater's. nothing like a bass slamming it out of the water. it's a rush good luck and practice catch and release
tenmilefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 12:46 AM   #7
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My topwaters have definitely been feast or famine over the last couple of weeks. My trusty Skitter Pop has produced some good bass lately in shallow water just like tenmilefisher said above. But other times, none of my topwaters seem to work.

I have never used a buzzbait or a jitterbug but would like to try them out. Rather than starting a new post, I thought I would ask for an explanation of what kind of action the jitterbug has on the retrieve and how fast do you retrieve a buzzbait?. Fishinwrestler seems to want to know the same type of info, so I thought I would piggy-back on his post.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 01:52 AM   #8
tenmilefisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to tenmilefisher Send a message via Yahoo to tenmilefisher

not that sure on the jitterbug. but with buzzbaits i usually start out throwing it slow and if that does'nt work i'll speed it up.try and keep the rod tip up, it helps keep it above the surface and the skirt and hook below the surface for better hookups. also helps if you are doing a slow retrieve. you can fish it much slower with the rod tip up. also if you have troubles with gettin it to stay on top try a double buzz it has 2 blades and makes it easier to go even slower. hope i helped and good luck
tenmilefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 01:57 AM   #9
FishinWrestler
BassFishin.Com Member

i was just talking to my dad about fishing a jitter bug and he said that he used to just reel at a slow speed with some pauses and that will give you the wobble/head shake motion that it is suposed to do.
Old 10-11-06, 02:45 AM   #10
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinWrestler View Post
i was just talking to my dad about fishing a jitter bug and he said that he used to just reel at a slow speed with some pauses and that will give you the wobble/head shake motion that it is suposed to do.
Thanks FW. That kind of head shake action combined with a slow retrieve seems to be what the bass like on my favourite lake. It is hard to duplicate consistently with the other topwaters I have, but when I do manage to get that kind of action going, I almost always get hit hard. Maybe I should pick a jitterbug up and see if it makes me look like a better fisherman than I am.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 07:44 AM   #11
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

When I am using a Pop-r, I will do a two or three cadence and with each pop I want at least a 10in spray or bubble in front of my bait, this will attract the bigger boys... I like to walk my spook when there is a little chop on the water. There is another bait a (Bang- O- Lure) I will throw it close to cover and let it sit until the ripples fade and then twitch it ever so gently, it has proven to be a good top water bait for me.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 03:23 PM   #12
bassbooger

Notice!! Everybody has their own retreive that they like best. The best way to learn which way is best for you is to get out there and use them. This will teach you which one will work best for you. I have seen bass in one body of water hit a topwater worked one way, but not the other, but yet bass in another body of water will hit the first technique. Just get out on the water and learn what seems to be best for what you are fishing. That is what makes a good fisherman, not someone who knows how to use everything in their tacklebox, but someone who is versatile and knows how to change things up a bit when needed.
Old 10-11-06, 09:29 PM   #13
FishinWrestler
BassFishin.Com Member

what does a scum frog look like? could you send me a link.
Old 10-12-06, 08:31 AM   #14
JB

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-06, 10:00 AM   #15
FishinWrestler
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks JB thats what i thought they were but i was not sure. So youcan fish that thing in deep water and rouse suspended bass. Do they also work in shallow water.
Old 10-12-06, 12:07 PM   #16
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah,they work real good over matted weeds,and around laydowns and stuff. pretty much,the nastiest cover you can find,use one of those,and you will probably catch a big fish.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-06, 03:18 PM   #17
tenmilefisher
BassFishin.Com Member

try a bronzeye frog. they work pretty kick a**
Old 10-14-06, 09:46 AM   #18
keithdog

Just a couple notes of on the Jitterbug lures. Your dad is right FW about how to use them. At least thats how my old man taught me to use one. Slow with several pauses. Here is something I read about, and if I can ever stay awake long enough to try night fishing again, I want to give this a try. Try slowly trolling a large black jitterbug at night time along the edges of weedbeds and through shallow and medium depths water with your trolling moter. Just fast enough to give it a good side to side wobble. Never done this myself, but I think it sounds like a great way to locate a large hungry bass and cover a lot of water in a shorter time.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-06, 12:21 PM   #19
adamgambill

Name:  storm.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  11.9 KB
I use the tsunami three piece in black and chart. or golden shad. The american version is available at wal-mart down here and boy is it deadly. Trick is to look where you throw it and not look at it when retrieving, It takes some practice but You wont be constantly worried about changing how it moves. Less likley to create a mechanical pattern which is not natural to fish.
Old 10-14-06, 08:38 PM   #20
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinWrestler View Post
Thanks JB thats what i thought they were but i was not sure. So youcan fish that thing in deep water and rouse suspended bass. Do they also work in shallow water.
To bring up suspended bass, I think a spook, or spook jr is about the best there is. A jitterbug works better IMO on flats, or next to cover.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.