Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-07-08, 12:34 PM   #1
Stinkies Daddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Zooker

Did I hear correctly? did you say Worked SS prop on a 50 hp? If this is the case tell me all bout it! I have a 40 Mariner 10 3/8X13p alunimum prop and have looked every where to get some advice, and i keep hearing SS prop will give between 3 and 4 mph more. I have been told this because a SS prop wont flex, makes sence to me!. It's mainly dealers telling me this stuff, and i figger since your not tryin to sell me a prop that you could set me straight and fill me in on the facts. Any help would be greatly appricated
Stinkies Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 02:09 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

buy! buy! buy buy buy buy! Buy! Buy Buy! BUY! BUY BUY BUY BUY!!!

BUY!!

Just kidding. I would think 3-4 MPH would be pretty darn optimistic. I'm thinking the smaller motor you put that on, the smaller the gain in terms of MPH would be.

Here is a discussion on the topic from a website on the internet, so this part must be true.

http://www.oceanskiffjournal.com/Sub...g/SSProps.aspx
Old 05-07-08, 03:18 PM   #3
Stinkies Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
buy! buy! buy buy buy buy! Buy! Buy Buy! BUY! BUY BUY BUY BUY!!!

BUY!!

Just kidding. I would think 3-4 MPH would be pretty darn optimistic. I'm thinking the smaller motor you put that on, the smaller the gain in terms of MPH would be.

Here is a discussion on the topic from a website on the internet, so this part must be true.

http://www.oceanskiffjournal.com/Sub...g/SSProps.aspx
good read, answered alot of questions i had
Old 05-07-08, 06:26 PM   #4
zooker

i will tell you where i bought mine. buyin it is just the first step. not sure about the lil merc's. but i have mine vented, cupped, and blue printed..
grand total is around $450 after all that..

powertech.com

zooker
Old 05-07-08, 06:56 PM   #5
Stinkies Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i will tell you where i bought mine. buyin it is just the first step. not sure about the lil merc's. but i have mine vented, cupped, and blue printed..
grand total is around $450 after all that..

powertech.com

zooker
What size motor are you running? and whats vented cupped and bluprinted?
Old 05-08-08, 10:23 AM   #6
boater

Vents are holes to let the exhaust vent out somewhat over the blades to let them slip alittle at take off so it does not bogg the engine as much, cupping I belielve will either cause your bow or your stern to lift depending on where it is worked for your needs and bluprinting in balancing the blades like wheel balanceing your tires.it is done by grinding the blades though instead of adding lead LOL
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 04:58 PM   #7
Stinkies Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
Vents are holes to let the exhaust vent out somewhat over the blades to let them slip alittle at take off so it does not bogg the engine as much, cupping I belielve will either cause your bow or your stern to lift depending on where it is worked for your needs and bluprinting in balancing the blades like wheel balanceing your tires.it is done by grinding the blades though instead of adding lead LOL
Cool thanks
Old 05-08-08, 07:39 PM   #8
zooker

i have the bow lifter cup added.. this makes the boat run at about level. compaired to the bow up -lower vizability-attitude..

btw the first picture was taken off the top of the windshield while i was running at wot-around 40

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=15212

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 05-08-08 at 07:45 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 10:32 PM   #9
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

3-4 mph is actually VERY easy to obtain on ANY motor when changing to a ss prop. It does take some wrench turning and a little trial and error but actually can gain more. I just got through with another boat with a 45 on another board and grand total of 7 mph with a 45hp Merc. What I need to know is what rpm's you are turning at WOT and what boat you have this motor on before I can make a recommendation for you. Also could use a pick of how the motor is bolted up or at the very least a good explaintation of how many holes are below the bolts on the motor mount.
Old 05-08-08, 10:34 PM   #10
1FASTLASER

By the way stinkie I fergot to tell ya I use to run a 40hp mariner. It was a mid eighties model. Do you have the 2 cylinder model. If ya do we can make this thing FLY. I use to eat up and spit out 60-75hp motors on glass boats with mine. LOVED that motor.
Old 05-09-08, 06:17 AM   #11
Stinkies Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
3-4 mph is actually VERY easy to obtain on ANY motor when changing to a ss prop. It does take some wrench turning and a little trial and error but actually can gain more. I just got through with another boat with a 45 on another board and grand total of 7 mph with a 45hp Merc. What I need to know is what rpm's you are turning at WOT and what boat you have this motor on before I can make a recommendation for you. Also could use a pick of how the motor is bolted up or at the very least a good explaintation of how many holes are below the bolts on the motor mount.
Ok now we are talkin!

At WOT its turning bout 5200, i think max rpm is 5500. The boat is a 1985 Venture Kricket 15 1/2', the boat weighs 700 lbs. Speedo says 31 but will run it today on GPS and get a more accurate speed for you. I will post pic's as soon as light allows here in Arkansas.

The dist between the transom and the bracket under the ser # is 1.0"

The distance from the bottom of the pad to centerline of the nose cone is 8.0"

Quote:
By the way stinkie I fergot to tell ya I use to run a 40hp mariner. It was a mid eighties model. Do you have the 2 cylinder model. If ya do we can make this thing FLY. I use to eat up and spit out 60-75hp motors on glass boats with mine. LOVED that motor.
Mine is a 1984 Mariner (SER#6E9L412818), it is a 2 cyl. I get sick of these wannabe's w/ their new Trackers and 50 and 60 hp motors looking down their noses at my dollar boat! SOOOOOOOOOOOO................... Chewing a few of them up and spittin them out would be very satisfyin!!!!!!

this is the boat

Last edited by Stinkies Daddy; 05-09-08 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-09-08, 01:58 PM   #12
zooker

your all up on your engine bolts. get your self some 2" spacers. a manual jack plate will not do you justice..as the cost will out lay the gains.. a 40 mariner/merc is actually a de-tuned 70 horse. i run a 2" spacer that brings the moter up to 4" under pad.. this will get your rpms up with out causing a water pressure issue.. but the cure here is buy a 10 1/2" x 13p-i would go with a 14p ss prop.. i am not a merc guy but bigger carbs and bossen reeds would be the first step...not sure what the rev limiter is on a box stock merc..the yammer i have is 6150rpm..

i spin my 50 horse yamaha at 5800 rpm and can get 40 easy 41.1 is my best..

just make sure you do the " paddle faster" motion when you burn by a tracker packin more horse.it is an ego bruiser for sure..

zooker
Old 05-09-08, 05:52 PM   #13
Stinkies Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
your all up on your engine bolts. get your self some 2" spacers. a manual jack plate will not do you justice..as the cost will out lay the gains.. a 40 mariner/merc is actually a de-tuned 70 horse. i run a 2" spacer that brings the moter up to 4" under pad.. this will get your rpms up with out causing a water pressure issue.. but the cure here is buy a 10 1/2" x 13p-i would go with a 14p ss prop.. i am not a merc guy but bigger carbs and bossen reeds would be the first step...not sure what the rev limiter is on a box stock merc..the yammer i have is 6150rpm..

i spin my 50 horse yamaha at 5800 rpm and can get 40 easy 41.1 is my best..

just make sure you do the " paddle faster" motion when you burn by a tracker packin more horse.it is an ego bruiser for sure..

zooker

Spacers? please explain
Old 05-09-08, 08:00 PM   #14
boater

it is a 2" spacer that mounts to your transon and the motor bolts to it it will set your engine back 2" off your transom and allow you to raise the motor higher with out drilling the transon
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 07:54 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

The 40 hp 2 cylinder Mariner is actually an animal. It is the bioggest 2 cylinder that was made by Mariner. That particular motor is in fact a Hammer. Damn I hated saying that...it hurt zook but I am man enough to admit it. That is the fastest 2 cylinder 2 stroke production motor I ever owned. Finding parts for those motors is getting somewhat diffulcult. They dont interchange with Merc like the rest of the Mariners. Please confirm this by looking at the motor plate and finding out if it was made in japan or elsewhere and lemme knoww. Thing is that hoof gives it away. I know it all to well. As far as performance a good tune up and LEAVE IT ALONE. That thing will run the paint off of a boat. The only way you can fully appreciate the way that motor will run is with the addition of a Trim and tilt unit and the propere stainless prop. I turned mine all day long at 6200 with a prop that I cut up just playing around and like I said would eat up most 70's and everything under. It was on a Duracraft aluminum boat that was the heaviest barge I ever owned. I couldnt pick this boat up it was that heavy plus all my crap. The one thing I suggest is finding a short shaft lower unit and putting that on. We can work around the way the motor is mounted up by finding a short shaft lower. They are still available ..............you gotta look though. Mine cost me 500 and trust me was worth it. Ifn ya want me to start looking say the word. After gettin the lower we will have to prop the boat correctly. Gonna be tricky with no trim and tilt but can be done. If you wanna spend a little money not much but enough to put them other boats your talking bout behind ya here is the list...........short shaft lower unit...usually 500 or less, Pt-35 CMC trim and tilt unit with the plus of also having setback buiilt in. Again this unit can be had for 500 or less. Then the prop........a good used prop cleaned up after we know what your boat needs will run right around what zook said.........about 450 give or take.
Here is a good time for me to make a statement. Performance is not cheap in the beginning. It costs and the faster you go the more it costs. But there is a major plus here. The faster you go within reason with a properly tuned and setup bass rig is cheaper in the long run to run than a improperly propped pig that just looks and sounds good. You pay for it in the beginning but after running you notice hey I aint using as much fuel as that guy. Thats because you have a rig that is setup and the engine and boat are matched as one unit and tuned to run well. Where there ya have it. Lemme know what ya want to do and we will get started.
Old 05-10-08, 10:46 AM   #16
zooker

oh hell laser look at the top picture of the mount bracket it says marniner made in japan.. and again your right that merc transome mount looks like a yammer for sure..was wondering what the heck it looked like my yammy for..

zooker
Old 05-10-08, 01:09 PM   #17
1FASTLASER

LMAO I am doing well to see that its a motor bracket. I thought this would make ya grin knowing that I did in fact use to run a hammer. And here we go again makin ya grin......those 60-75hp motors that I put on the trailer where in fact Merc's lot of OMC's but Merc's as well. That motor was a high rpm screamin machine till I screwed up and jumped a boat wake. Motor free wheeled on me ........thinking I hit prolly better than 9000rpms and windowed the block. What a mess I had that day. Parts of the cowling laying at my feet and the rest in the drink. Oh well she was a blast when I had her. Funny thing is I still made my money back on the boat. Bought it for 650 with the running engine.........sold it for 750 with a trashed motor.
Old 05-17-08, 02:39 PM   #18
1FASTLASER

Ok buddy here's the links I promised ya I think you will enjoy them

http://www.bassboatmagazine.com/

http://www.boattechs.com/index.php

Stop buy and say hello.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.