Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-12, 04:58 PM   #1
Pharticus
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Preliminary Research Data for <$130 Baitcasters!!!

Perhaps some will laugh, but in my efforts to sort through all the $130 or less baitcasters for that perfect first purchase, I began gathering data.

This list is based on the offerings from Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop. I have eliminated all reels that had ZERO reviews, and all reels that failed to achieve a 4.0 out of 5 (or higher).

I also didn't bother with anything under $50.

Obviously, this isn't a perfect solution, but when there are 17 bajillion reels to choose from, this DOES help 'cull the herd' a bit.

Hope it helps any of you others out there in the same happy predicament as me!

Pharticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 07:15 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey Phart I don't see any results.
Old 03-04-12, 07:16 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Interesting charts, thanks for sharing!
Old 03-04-12, 07:54 PM   #4
Possum
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow, that's alot of work. Thanks
Looks like the work of an accountant. Are you?
But really, wow. Sorta spreads the field out.
Old 03-04-12, 10:39 PM   #5
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Looks like the pro qualifier is hard to beat.

Also looks like a crossword puzzle.
Old 03-04-12, 10:51 PM   #6
Tavery5

Good chart with lots of good information, I don't know how much faith I would put in those Cabelas and Bass Pro reviews but it sure helps with reviewing features of similar priced reels.
Old 03-04-12, 11:30 PM   #7
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

...you are a dork!

I can say that because last year I made a similar spreadsheet comparing fishing lines. Though my spread sheet compared the pros and cons of mono vs braid vs fluorocarbon, and I didn't use review ratings. The conclusion I reached was that braid had the most benefits. The main disadvantage was line visibility which could be solved by adding a fluoro leader. In my spreadsheet, Suffix 832 was the best braid. PowerPro was a close 2nd in performance at a much better price.

I also have been researching reels this spring. I like the gold (discontinued) BPS Carbonlite... It had 100 reviews with a 4.8 average. The main problem is that it only comes in a left-hand retrieve. It's currently $119, but was on sale for $89 two-weeks ago. I'm kicking myself for not buying one then.

Last edited by IowaBasser; 03-05-12 at 09:27 AM.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 12:31 AM   #8
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

You can get the Shimano Citica 200e right hand at Gander Mt for 79.99. An older model, but made in Japan and it had a 4.8/5 review from BPS with 122 reviews.

http://answers.basspro.com/answers/2.../questions.htm

Hard to beat that deal.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...e&cID=FILEFT11

Last edited by arfish; 03-05-12 at 12:38 AM.
arfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 09:19 AM   #9
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfish View Post
You can get the Shimano Citica 200e right hand at Gander Mt for 79.99. An older model, but made in Japan and it had a 4.8/5 review from BPS with 122 reviews.

http://answers.basspro.com/answers/2.../questions.htm

Hard to beat that deal.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...e&cID=FILEFT11
BPS and Gander have a $30 rebate on the Citica G (the newer model) which brings the price down from $129.99 to $99.99. Not a bad deal if you want the newer model. And no, you can't use the $30 rebate on the 200E... the rebate card specifically says CiticaG.

I did some digging to find the weight of the older reel:
CiticaE: 7.8oz
CiticaG: 7.5oz
Old 03-05-12, 10:57 AM   #10
Pharticus
BassFishin.Com Member

I was not familiar with Gander Mtn... til now. I'll have to go do some more homework. lol
Pharticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 11:03 AM   #11
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
BPS and Gander have a $30 rebate on the Citica G (the newer model) which brings the price down from $129.99 to $99.99. Not a bad deal if you want the newer model. And no, you can't use the $30 rebate on the 200E... the rebate card specifically says CiticaG.

Yea I saw that Abu Garcia came out with a 30 dollar rebate plan on some of their Revos and then a few days latter Shimano came out with the same deal. Shimano has had some mixed reviews on their new Curado G series, but haven't heard too much on the new Citica G vs Citica E.

Gander Mt is not as big as BPS or Cabelas, but they do have some good deals sometimes. I always check with them before buying, just in case. I don't reckon those Citicas will last too long at 79.99.
Old 03-07-12, 10:04 PM   #12
basslover1
BassFishin.Com Member

I saw the BPS Carbonlite LH which is very light and am going to pair it w/ my Carbonlite rod. I agree w/Iowabasser it is a dynamite reel at the price you can get it for now. Just have to wait a bit since most BPS's are out of the LH model. Fished w/one of our veteran pros yesterday who had the RH on a Carbonlite rod and he thought it was great. Caught a ton of bass with it too.
basslover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 08:58 AM   #13
Top Tiger

I picked up a Shimano Curado at BPS. After rebate and trade-in deal it worked out to $104.00 plus TN outrageous sales tax.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 08:46 AM   #14
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslover1 View Post
I saw the BPS Carbonlite LH which is very light and am going to pair it w/ my Carbonlite rod. I agree w/Iowabasser it is a dynamite reel at the price you can get it for now. Just have to wait a bit since most BPS's are out of the LH model. Fished w/one of our veteran pros yesterday who had the RH on a Carbonlite rod and he thought it was great. Caught a ton of bass with it too.
I saw yesterday that the Gold Carbonlite reels were taken off the BPS web-site. When I searched the BPS website using the keyword "Carobonlite" the gold reel was only available as part of a combo.

I know they're really pushing the new Johnny Morris Carbonlite, but it's pissing me off the way they're shuffling the prices and availability on the older gold one.
Old 03-09-12, 09:32 AM   #15
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post

Here's the rebate form. I think you can buy it anywhere due it's a manufacturers rebate.
Also tells which models it can be used on.

http://www.histackleboxshop.com/category-s/2853.htm
Old 03-15-12, 05:55 AM   #16
mustang-alkie
BassFishin.Com Member

I have the bps pro qualifier and love it. It casts a mile and is very smooth. You can't go wrong with it in my opinion. But nice spread sheet, I think it will help out the people looking for a good price quality real.
mustang-alkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 09:27 AM   #17
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey if anyone is looking for a reel no matter the price check with me please. Like I said before in earlier post I am trying to get my start and can help people out on pricing ALOT as long as I can. 865-856-8899. Thanks again guys. And at this price point, just to throw in my 2 cents lol, I love my Diawa Exceller. It has some resistance in the crank to help from over fishing the bait while it's in the water. While it's not as smooth as my STX and Curado I feel totally comfortable when throwing it because I love the drag system. Very smooth and consistant drag. Thanks guys
Matt
matt3mckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 12:57 PM   #18
3dkicker

You're missing the Lew's $129.99 model. It doesn't have reviews probably because it's a brand new model. I wouldn't count it out......

You also may want to consider repair costs and how long the reels last with normal use. Some companies don't do well keeping up on spare parts once a model is discontinued.
Old 03-18-12, 02:35 AM   #19
IowaBasser

Anyone have any info on the Abu Garcia Silver Max reel? I see BassPro has a combo for $84.98 It only has 5+1 bearings, but the few reviews I could find were positive. It may not be as light as some of the higher price reels, but at only 8 oz. it's by no means heavy.

BTW... what is a "flipping switch" and what does it do? Sounds kinda gimicky to me.
Old 03-18-12, 08:33 AM   #20
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

The flipping switch refers to when you engage the reel to flip or pitch, when you let off the thumb switch, it automatically engages the reel. You don't have to turn the handle to engage the reel with the switch on. Sort of like a slip clutch.
Old 03-18-12, 09:32 AM   #21
Rebbasser

First off, welcome to the forum!

Quite a bit of research-nice job. You have done your homework. My advice is the same I give to any who ask this type of question:

BEFORE YOU BUY:

If at all possible, go handle the reels you are considering and see which one feels right to you. That way you know you are getting the right one, and get the one that feels right to YOU, because you are the one that will be using it.

I have not tried the Abus you list, but have several BPS Extremes and Pro Qualifiers. I would recommend either one of those reels. I think I like the Pro Qualifier over the Extreme but like and use both.
Old 03-18-12, 11:08 AM   #22
bamabassman

iowabasser, i have a silvermax reel. it is a VERY nice reel for the money. don't know about the combo. i bought the reel and put it on a rod i already had. works great. but if oyu are willing to spend JUST a little more, go with the pro max. pick out a rod of oyur chosing to match it up with. i have 2 pro max's. love em both.

and 3dkicker is correct! the new lews reels,(got a speed spool from walmart for 150 or so, 7:1.1 gears and it is AWESUM! they have the lower gear ratios at lower prices. if i were to buy another reel, which won't be happening this year. i would DEFINANTLY get another lews. great reel for the money.
Old 03-18-12, 09:37 PM   #23
Crankbait

It’s interesting to see the difference in the ratings by store……hmmmmm cool idea
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.