Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-12, 02:26 PM   #1
musikman43155
BassFishin.Com Member

Talking Frog rod?

I'm going to be buying a rod specifically for frogs & buzzbaits. It will have a Shimano Curado 200 E7 that will have 65# Power Pro. I like the Shimano Compre 7'2" MH which has a lure rating of 1/4-1 & has an extra fast action. Would the 7'2" H be a better choice with a lure rating of 1/2 to 1 1/2 & fast tip? I want to make sure the rod isn't too stiff for 1/2 oz. buzzbaits & frogs, but, has enough backbone to being 'em back.

I looked & it seems most frogs are 1/2 oz to 5/8's @ the most. This will also be a buzzbait rod, so that has to be taken into account.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shima...page-CCRS.html
musikman43155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 03:00 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I find a 7'-7'3" rod ideal for frogging.

The rod I fish frog with now is a Loomis MBR844C. 7' H F rated for 1/4-1 oz. If I fished frogs enough to warrant a dedicated combo for them, the rod I'd get would be a Dobyns 735C - 7'3" H F rate for 1/4 to 1-1/2.

Choosing between those two rods would be tough. If you'll be fishing more frogs, I'd go with the H. I'd go MH/XF if you were fishing more buzzbaits.

BB
Old 03-04-12, 03:04 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The cover you will be fishing the frogs in will make a difference too. The MH will be enough rod to fish the frogs alone but if you are throwing them in really nasty stuff, it might not be enough to get fish out. In my opinion, a rod for throwing frogs and a rod for throwing buzz baits are pretty far apart. The weights of the baits aren't that different but the cover they are fished in are.
Old 03-04-12, 04:54 PM   #4
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikman43155 View Post
I'm going to be buying a rod specifically for frogs & buzzbaits. It will have a Shimano Curado 200 E7 that will have 65# Power Pro. I like the Shimano Compre 7'2" MH which has a lure rating of 1/4-1 & has an extra fast action. Would the 7'2" H be a better choice with a lure rating of 1/2 to 1 1/2 & fast tip? I want to make sure the rod isn't too stiff for 1/2 oz. buzzbaits & frogs, but, has enough backbone to being 'em back.

I looked & it seems most frogs are 1/2 oz to 5/8's @ the most. This will also be a buzzbait rod, so that has to be taken into account.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_Compre_Casting_Rods/descpage-CCRS.html

lol this is almost the same thread i wrote last week, and guess what i ended up with the 7'2 H shimano compre with a quatum smoke 7:3.1 and suffix 832 braid... nice man, pure sex
Old 03-04-12, 07:19 PM   #5
bassinbob

I'd go he medium heavy if the frogs your throwing are the Horny Toad type. I use a med/hev all day long in any kind of pads or slop with no problem. For the hollow body frogs I use a heavy rod. But that's just me.
Old 03-05-12, 06:46 PM   #6
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

I would get the 7'2" Heavy. You need the extra power to pull the fish out of the thick stuff. It's better to have too much power than not enough. I have tried frogging with a MH before I got a H and to me the extra power is definitely worth it.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 07:27 PM   #7
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
The cover you will be fishing the frogs in will make a difference too. The MH will be enough rod to fish the frogs alone but if you are throwing them in really nasty stuff, it might not be enough to get fish out. In my opinion, a rod for throwing frogs and a rod for throwing buzz baits are pretty far apart. The weights of the baits aren't that different but the cover they are fished in are.
i agree with you 100% dude.. when i fish frogs, its always in heavy cover, thick grass, lily pads.. you want something with a strong backbone to yank those pigs out, or get yourself un-snagged.
Old 03-05-12, 08:35 PM   #8
lilmule

Totally agree heavy action for thick stuff and big bass back in the jungle.
However listen to his requirements buzzbait/frog rod meaning semi open water.
same 7 ft rod but med heavy,fast tip and better suited for horny toads and ribbets than floaters but will work ok with them and your buzzbait-100 bucks and under any of major brands including kistler(my choice in a heavy )carrot stix,shimano,all star etc.
Think buzzbait rod not frog rod,and horny toads ribbets are frog like buzzbaits.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 10:01 PM   #9
musikman43155
BassFishin.Com Member

I have 10 rod/reel combos, most of which are new this season. I feel I'll be using the buzzbait/frog the least, so I decided I'd combine the two purposes for one rod. I intend on using hollow frogs when froggin'.

I'm also now considering a Powell Endurance Casting Rod 7'1" Heavy 714-CEF which has a 1/4 to 1 oz. weight recommendation.
musikman43155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 11:32 PM   #10
bigbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Smile frog rod

I use a Powell Max 735, works great for the slop. bigbasser
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 01:53 AM   #11
Tavery5

If you are looking for a rod that will do both, then I say go with the MH/F it will be a more versatile rod. However if you know that the frog fishing is going to be in pads, or heavy cover, you may want to step up the H/F and think about using the same rod for heavy jigs and punching mats.

For frogs and buzzbaits you do not need a rod with allot of sensitivity since it is primarily a reaction type bite. If you go with a H/F and choose to use it with jigs you will want to look for a rod with a little more sensitivity so you can feel that contact bite.

Sensitivity usually equates to $$$$$
Old 03-07-12, 02:39 PM   #12
T7HeadTurner
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Falcon Cara T7 Bobby's Perfect Frog Rod

Im new to the fourm, so it won't let me post links.... If you go to TW and type in Bobby in the search area, you can find the rod.
Also youtube has a Link to his Video of the rod.
(Bobby Barrack talks about his custom Frog Rod made by Falcon Rods)
Type that in.
Old 04-01-13, 07:03 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Great timing on this topic-i'm looking for a buzzbait rod and am thinking about a frog rod. While both are fished in similar areas, I think using the same rod for both may cause you some problems. Fishing a frog in the thick/heavy stuff requires a rod with a lot of backbone and not a lot of flex to get the bass out of heavy cover. Buzz baits, on the other hand, are not very aerodynamic-the blade catches the air like a sail-so you need a more limber rod to throw it. I was looking at one today. An Allstar rod listed as a frog/buzzbait rod. It is 7'2" MH. With a fast tip. I can sure see it as a buzz bait rod but it just doesn't have the backbone for heavy cover frogging IMO. Plus, I throw a buzzbait on P-Line Floroclear but I throw frog on braid. I'm leaning towards two different rods.

Last edited by Rebbasser; 04-01-13 at 07:52 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 07:12 PM   #14
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
lol this is almost the same thread i wrote last week, and guess what i ended up with the 7'2 H shimano compre with a quatum smoke 7:3.1 and suffix 832 braid... nice man, pure sex
Off topic, but how do you like the Smoke?
Old 04-01-13, 07:43 PM   #15
lilmule

All star flippin jig/frog rod,kistler,buzzbait rods need more limber tip one can how ever double if not used in thick jungle,say grass not mat or lilly pads.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.