Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-23-06, 10:36 PM   #1
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fishing the Points

Fishing the Points
Sometimes bass fishing in a big lake can be overwhelming. Do you fish deep? Fish the banks? Are they out in open water? What?

This will depend on the lake, the time of year, the time of day and many other factors such as air and water temperature. There is no short answer; no hard and fast rule. But mostly, to put yourself on fish, you are going to be looking for cover and structure.

Cover is vegetation and things like that where bass can hide. Structure is things like drop offs, road beds, creeks, stumps and such.

There is a good way to combine these and that is to look for points on the lake; especially points near quick drop offs and creek channels.

Points are areas of the shore that come to a 'point' in the lake. Often these will be on the outside of, or the entrance to, coves, but not always. That's just to give you an idea of how one might look. It simply sticks out from the rest of the shoreline.

Quick drop offs are important because bass will hang around these points and depend on the drop offs as an escape route in case trouble comes calling. So if you see a point in just a few feet of water, and see that not too far from the point the water quickly gets deep, this point might be a good prospect for holding fish.

The point itself should be fished thoroughly, but you should also seek bass along the sides of points, especially if there is cover like grass, weeds, reeds, etc. If the point is off of a cove, very early morning or the evening might be a good time to fish the cove. But, as the day progresses hit the points.

If you don't find the bass on the point, try the deeper water next to the point. They may have retreated to it as the daylight and the heat came. Bass try to avoid sunlight because it hurts their eyes.

I prefer to use plastics on points; worms, crawfish and lizards. I like to Texas Rig these to be weedless. I also like to use a Carolina Rig which helps to keep the bait in the strike zone longer and gives it a little more action. You could also do well using a spinnerbait or crankbait.

So, very early in the morning hit the coves. As the bite slows, you will want to move out to the points where the fish have gone. Then, as that bite slows, try fishing plastics in the deeper waters next to the points. As evening comes on, you will reverse this process, heading back to the points, then into the coves.

It's important to understand the movement of the fish and keep up with them. Certainly, you will find a lone drifter now and then, but using this method you will be much more likely to be consistent in your catch.

After all, you are out there to catch bass, right? Good luck.
Old 08-24-06, 07:17 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

points come in many differant kinds. main lake are the largest and most fished. secondary are smaller with less pressure. then the hidin points these are the toughest to locate and posably the best to fish..

zooker
Old 09-06-06, 08:26 AM   #3
Crazykidd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Crazykidd

How do you fish a point? do you fish throwing the bait to the point? Or do you fish throwing away from the point?
Crazykidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 06:22 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok lets get a point

like this one

the yellow out lines the point at it's shallowest. the blue x's are stumps the red line is a boulder..

i am sitting in about 50+ feet of water here..the left side is a shallow gradaul sloping bank. the front and right side drop sharply to a mid landing -about 25 feet of water- this is a main lake point i like to work the weedy stretch on the left from the cove to the left. the grass is in 2-3 feet of water. i would hit the stumps and the boulder. i would then continue around a long cast from the grass line. maybe a crankbait run down the steep slope or a c-rig..working all the way around this point. i would pull a u-turn at the right side and come at this point in reverse of what ya just did only with a differant crankbait and or differant bait on the c-rig like a lizard then a worm.
this particular point gets nailed hard all the time i have never fished it when there was not some one either waitin to or i had to wait till they left it.. the 50+ foot depth is actually the river channel.the mid landing is the creek bank..

any questions??

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 09-06-06 at 06:36 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 09:25 AM   #5
Crazykidd

For some reason your pic is not showing up.
Old 09-07-06, 11:09 AM   #6
Crazykidd

I'm going back up there this weekend to hit the lake again. so any pointers on point, and ledges that you think I should try. I'm game
Old 09-07-06, 09:12 PM   #7
91W
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykidd View Post
How do you fish a point? do you fish throwing the bait to the point? Or do you fish throwing away from the point?
Try both. i tend to stay away from the shallow water to start sit in 12-15feet and cast towarards the shallow water. However if you do not catch fish be open to give a new presentation like sitting in shallow and casting out.

Do not ever get into a pattern that switching won't work. however force feeding fish is like pushing a rope. Some days nothing will get em to open their mouths.
91W is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.