Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-23-12, 10:35 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Kayak fishing?

I am 15 only kid in my family to enjoy fishing. So i am alone with this whole thing. I got a kayak had rod holder and i know how to kayak and self rescue all that stuff. Now i want to get into kayak fishing for bass. Any tips/help?
Old 01-23-12, 10:52 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If WTL see's this he can help and bassboogieman and docirv just got back from a yak trip....prob a bunch more guys into it here as well. Utube has some really cool vids too. Have Fun
Old 01-24-12, 12:09 AM   #3
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Sounds like you have what you need to get out there.
The best thing I can tell you in the beginning is to find shallower water with areas that bigger craft can't go.
Don't be afraid to head right on into the weeds or lily pads or stump fields.
If you need an anchoring system, I would HIGHLY recommend installing an Anchor Trolley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uENjVbYCs-g

That is a quick video of an anchor trolley. If you're fishing any rivers it would be a huge help, since you can quickly change anchor position from front to back.

If you want more info on the trolley, let me know. I'm not at home right now (on vacation), but I should still be able to come up with the parts list I used for mine.

Are you fishing from a "sit in" or "sit on top"?
Old 01-24-12, 02:16 AM   #4
bassboogieman

Fishing from a kayak is a load of fun. As Mallen mentioned getting into shallow water, weeds, pads, etc where the big boats can't get is the advantage of shallow water craft like the kayak. The most important thing, and if you have kayak experience you know but I'm going to tell you anyway - wear your PFD, always..

You can be very stealthy in a 'yak and get in where bass hide and move through weedy areas easier than in a boat with a trolling motor, again with less noise and water disturbance. Fighting a fish, especially one with a bit of weight to it can be a lot of fun, you may get pulled around a little, the 'yak doesn't offer a lot of resistance for a big fish so the fight may at least seem better with a good sized fish.

Only downside is you can't carry a lot of tackle. You will need to plan how you'll intend to fish and pack lighter than when fishing from the bank or a regular boat. I like shorter rods when fishing from a 'yak, you're very close to the water and I had issues for a while with dipping a rod tip when casting with my longer rods.

You can fish just about any bait for a 'yak as anywhere else, but I'm finding a strong preference for plastics thrown on spinning gear. I fish a bit closer to cover than I do in my bass boat, as well as shallower. Some of the stuff we were fishing in Florida a couple weeks ago you couldn't throw a moving (sub surface) bait and I could have left the ones I had at home.

Most important thing is have fun!!

Florida fishing shallow lilly pads. We were back in maybe 50 yards off a small channel. This water was only between 12" - 18" deep and full of pads and grass. We snuck in there to get out of the wind which was blowing pretty good ahead of impending rain. We caught several bass in there although nothing huge. My big boat would not have gotten in there unless I had a push pole.

Same area, same day. We were right in the thick stuff and catching bass. Better than half of our fishing in Florida was in areas like this and a kayak is a perfect way to fish it.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-24-12 at 10:39 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 10:05 AM   #5
docirv

Send a message via Skype™ to docirv

Yup, like they said, it is a lot of fun. Be sue to wear your pfd and as you can see the photo above of that very handsome guy in the kayak, using rod floats is a good idea because youi will drop a rod and reel overboard....
Old 01-24-12, 11:14 AM   #6
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

@Scot, don't you have a 'toon?(CA Colorado?) I have a yak, but prefer fishing from the 'toon because of the higher sitting position, makes casting, pitching/flipping easier, and allows you to see better, and I can carry a lot of gear. Also allows for hands free maneuvering. (oops. it's fishngolf that has a toon, he just uses a the same avatar.)
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 04:07 PM   #7
joedog

Default You may enjoy this Scott

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N--NJ...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-24-12, 05:57 PM   #8
basshunter21

Heck ya buddy.

Im planning on getting a yak towards the spring so i can get off the darn shore and get out on the water.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 08:40 PM   #9
Dogmatic

If a yak is the way you're going, here are some nice options...

plus there's a company out of CT that makes custom trolling motor set-ups for yaks that are really nice.
Old 01-25-12, 12:42 AM   #10
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

boogieman, I would LOVE to be parked in all that mess about now!
You made an excellent point that I will strongly second. Space for gear is definitely limited.
I am working on setting up different Plano boxes for different waters I fish.
Old 01-25-12, 09:08 PM   #11
Scott the fishman

Thank you all so much I got an anchor and it is an actual kayak anchor. I already got a lake picked out very small no boat has ever touched it do to it only being 4 feet deep at the deepest. And i do always wear my PDF so thats not a problem. I also don't have a lot of gear 7 trays thats all i got filled haha. My dad fished this lake as a kid and caught something with teeth, he forgets what it looked like so can't figure out the species. Say i get a big ol'musky along side what should i do?
Old 01-25-12, 09:19 PM   #12
Dogmatic

NET! or cradle(its what I use), or snip.
Old 01-27-12, 05:32 PM   #13
Dogmatic

Here's that company from CT I mentioned, they're a little pricey, but when you add it all up, it's totally worth it(unless you're a really mechanically inclined type of person)...

http://bassyaks.com/
Old 01-27-12, 06:20 PM   #14
bassboogieman

Several manufacturer's have an electric trolling motor power option, including Hobie - BUT, that kinda takes the fun out of kayaking, not to mention the 60+ pounds for a battery. I do however like a power drive system that keeps the hands free (mostly) for fishing. Drive systems vary from propeller to fins or electric motor and depenting upon you preference, all have advantages. Prop drive gives you a powered reverse, fins can fold flat against the hull for very shallow water or beaching, electric motor sit back and relax. The "man"ual powered also offer you a bit of exercise which is low impact and is not strenous at all. If you look at a powered yak, whatever the drive system, they are considerably more expensive than a paddle version, at least double the price, but for me a very worthwhile expense.
Old 01-28-12, 01:27 AM   #15
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Several manufacturer's have an electric trolling motor power option, including Hobie - BUT, that kinda takes the fun out of kayaking, not to mention the 60+ pounds for a battery. I do however like a power drive system that keeps the hands free (mostly) for fishing. Drive systems vary from propeller to fins or electric motor and depenting upon you preference, all have advantages. Prop drive gives you a powered reverse, fins can fold flat against the hull for very shallow water or beaching, electric motor sit back and relax. The "man"ual powered also offer you a bit of exercise which is low impact and is not strenous at all. If you look at a powered yak, whatever the drive system, they are considerably more expensive than a paddle version, at least double the price, but for me a very worthwhile expense.
Right now I am not interested in buying a top of the line kayak or even drive system because I have kayaked but never fished and kayaked so if i like it then ill put money in it but if not oh well.
Old 01-28-12, 09:42 AM   #16
bassboogieman

A wise choice to try it out before sinking (terrible word) money into somethng new. You certainly don't need a drive system to fish from a 'yak - I know several that do. It just depends upon your prefrences as well as fishing style and budget as to which type of 'yak suits your needs. As indicated by the couple of pictures I included above, you could certainly paddle to areas like we fished and park your 'yak and fish for several hours, and a dirve system would not be any advantage.
Old 01-30-12, 11:39 PM   #17
Dogmatic

By the way, the Native drive system not only allows you to go backwards, but also pivots up put of the water for shallow water or beaching. Its slightly less $ than the honor.
Old 01-31-12, 01:45 AM   #18
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott the fishman View Post
Thank you all so much I got an anchor and it is an actual kayak anchor. I already got a lake picked out very small no boat has ever touched it do to it only being 4 feet deep at the deepest. And i do always wear my PDF so thats not a problem. I also don't have a lot of gear 7 trays thats all i got filled haha. My dad fished this lake as a kid and caught something with teeth, he forgets what it looked like so can't figure out the species. Say i get a big ol'musky along side what should i do?
Look into a folding net.

While canoeing the Minnesota/Canada Boundary Waters I hooked a 30" northern pike. I had the fish on for about 5 minutes before he came un-hooked. I had a trout net with me, but it was way too small. I don't know if/how I could have landed him. I haven't fished out of a canoe in water where there was a possibility of catching a large toothy critter since, but next time I will have a folding net.

I reccomend going to a store like Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops and looking at them rather than trying to find one on-line. At least for me, I would want to see the size of the net in person to make sure it was big enough for what-ever I might catch.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 10:57 PM   #19
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
Look into a folding net.

While canoeing the Minnesota/Canada Boundary Waters I hooked a 30" northern pike. I had the fish on for about 5 minutes before he came un-hooked. I had a trout net with me, but it was way too small. I don't know if/how I could have landed him. I haven't fished out of a canoe in water where there was a possibility of catching a large toothy critter since, but next time I will have a folding net.

I reccomend going to a store like Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops and looking at them rather than trying to find one on-line. At least for me, I would want to see the size of the net in person to make sure it was big enough for what-ever I might catch.
Well the lakes i am fishing are roughly 15 acres and i am thinking northerns could be in there and if i do fish big bodies of water that have musky i would need a net. I know i am using my imagination but what about a snake cause where i plan on starting yak fishing there is a ton of snakes the biggest one i have seen there was about 6 feet long and in the water. would the hook rust out of them like they do in fish?
Old 01-31-12, 11:52 PM   #20
Stevek
BassFishin.Com Member

BassBoogieMan, the batteries that we use aren't the 60 lb jobbers, the 34 and 55 Ahr batteries are what is currently used, weight 24 and 38 lb respectively
Doubling up is better than running a group 27 or 31, plus the smaller batteries can be fit inside the kayak without taking up too much room
The current 30 lb thrust motor use about 19 amps at full throttle, so on a 55Ahr battery , you should get 2.9 hours at full throttle, which is about 5mph and turns out to be about 14.5 miles. The two main benefit of the motor is you'll cover 3 times the distance and it gets the paddle out of your hand

Tight Lines
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111202_114525.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	7569  
Stevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 05:23 PM   #21
Dogmatic

Hey Stevek, so you are familiar with Bassyaks system? I have a question for you, Do you think it could be adapted to a 'toon? I tried mounting a Minnkota PowerDrive 36# to mine, but it was combersome, and w/ it mounted in the rear, I couldn't really see where it was pointed, so it was too much work, and I went back to a tiller model. I really want the "hands free" maneuvering that I have while fishing from the front deck of my boat. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-12, 03:38 PM   #22
Stevek
BassFishin.Com Member

Shoot me pictures of what you have now and where it has to be mounted
We can take a shot at it

Tight lines
Steve
Stevek is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.