Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-11, 09:59 PM   #1
Jrok
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Leaky boat

I have a 16ft Alumacraft classic. 1983 I believe with a 45hp mariner (yr unknown). In the past 6 months the motor was professionaly rebuilt , all wiring in boat and trailer redone, new seats, livewell and bilge pump new....all worthwhile I felt since the boat was given to me.
Well today (first trip) the boat took in a lot of water. The drain plug was in. At frst I thought the bilge pump was not working..but after almost an hr on the lake, water started reaching the steering console. Back on shore when I pulled the drain plug, water gushed out for almost 30 minutes. Definitely a lot of water below the flooring.

Anyone ever have a problem like this? Should I just put a marine sealant , jb weld or something over all the rivets and around the drain plug/live well/bilge hole? There are no dents or holes anywhere that I can see.
Very frustrating. Aaarggh.
Jrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 11:04 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Try determining where or what rivets by putting water in while on the trailer should drip where it leaks.And a 1983 wouldnnt have a lot of floatation built in,close to being like a rock I bet.
While those may repair it id consult someone who has successfully repaired an aluminum boat,that held over time,either of those should on a temporary basis,even paint would help seal,but all would eventually crack.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 11:05 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Try filling the boat with a little water while on the trailer, and seeing where the problem rivet is. Try not to fill the boat more than you need to, cause a boat isn't meant to hold water up to the sides and you can bend the trailer, but still, you should be able to get enough in there to see water seep out somewhere.

I've used a few different things to try and fix a leak, JB weld, marine sealant, stuff like that. It all usually works for a while, I don't know of a fullproof sealent. 3m 5200 is pretty strong stuff, especially if you get it on the inside of the rivet where it will never be knocked out.
Old 06-05-11, 12:25 AM   #4
cassidyta

I think everyone is on the right track about adding water on the trailer. I would add that when doing this, you need to raise and lower the the trailer. When sitting on the trailer naturally, the bow sits higher then it will when you are on the deck running the trolling motor.
Not to insult your intelligence, are you sure you only have one drain plug? I only ask because my tracker has two. One is in the livewell. Leaving it out will create your situation. Ask me how I know..LOL
Old 06-05-11, 08:18 AM   #5
Jrok
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks everyone. I will give that a try but I'll look into the livewell plug situation first. Sounds like a quicker and cheaper place to start.
I did not have a livewell plug in. I never even thought of it I guess because I had no plans of using it that day. I didnt even look into my livewell while out on the water.
So dumb question..the water will come in through the livewell hole in the transom, fill the livewell and then possibly overflow into the boat below the flooring (if plug isnt in) even when the fill switch isnt turned on?
Old 06-05-11, 08:41 AM   #6
bassboogieman

Sounds like a LOT of water for a few leaking rivits. I'd think it's either the livewell drain or you have a plumbing connection that came apart. You said you "thought" the bilge pump was not working - did it come on? Sounds as if it did not, or if it did no water was pumped out and that could be your plumbing problem.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-11, 01:42 PM   #7
Jrok
BassFishin.Com Member

well i filled my boat with water while it was on the trailer, probably enough to make a more experienced boater cringe. But all the rivets, seams and such seemed fine, no leaks to be seen. However the bilge pump only sent water trickeling out. After putting a hose to the drainage hole and shooting a jet stream in there, water came out as it should. A lot of "junk" stuck in there.
Next Im just going to seal up the livewell intake and plug, use it as storage and hopefully I will have dry days on the lake.
Thanks everyone
Old 06-06-11, 03:11 PM   #8
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrok View Post
Thanks everyone. I will give that a try but I'll look into the livewell plug situation first. Sounds like a quicker and cheaper place to start.
I did not have a livewell plug in. I never even thought of it I guess because I had no plans of using it that day. I didnt even look into my livewell while out on the water.
So dumb question..the water will come in through the livewell hole in the transom, fill the livewell and then possibly overflow into the boat below the flooring (if plug isnt in) even when the fill switch isnt turned on?
My livewell has the intake on the top and a drain on the bottom. The livewell pump pumps water through the intake. If I forget to put that plug I have ended up with water upto the steering column.

Last edited by cassidyta; 06-06-11 at 04:29 PM.
cassidyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 04:03 PM   #9
lilmule

Since boat didnt leak try filling livewell up,and shooting water into inlet hole with pump running for livewell hose may have come undone,plugging the livewell after the leak wont help it.
Or float and open hatches to view all connections.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 10:16 PM   #10
Jrok
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks everyone. Problem solved. Appeciate all the help. Well it turns out it was the livewell causing the problem. I put a plug in there and no more water in the boat. It never even crossed my mind because its a "box" above the water line. Drains out the back of the boat and I didnt think water would come in unless I turned the pump on.
You live and learn I guess.
Old 06-08-11, 12:17 AM   #11
cassidyta

I am glad it is working Jrok. I learned the same way.
Old 06-08-11, 11:43 AM   #12
bassboogieman

Quote:
I'd think it's either the livewell drain
FINALLY, a FIRST - I beat NFE to the correct answer.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 09:29 PM   #13
bassinbob

Way to go bassboogieman.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.