Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-12, 09:04 PM   #26
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Just add red marker to some of my plastics.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 10:17 AM   #27
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

oglejust, Highhawk1948, thanks.
I'm a Ribbit user, helped whien me off the 'crack pipe'. Just joking!
I think I'm going to try this soon.
Old 07-20-12, 12:02 AM   #28
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Here is a trick the late great Flyrod taught me: If you are using a baby bass colored soft plastic-baby bass/pearl or watermelon/cream yum dinger/senko for example-take a sharpie and put dots down each side. He did that one several occasions and kicked my butt until I added the dots.

Speaking of sharpies-I keep one in the boat all the time. As most of us know, you can have identical crankbaits and one catches fish like crazy and one does not. When I catch one on a crankbait I take a sharpie and put a dot on the bill so I know it produces. That way I can find it when looking through several identical baits.
Old 07-20-12, 10:17 AM   #29
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks for the tips, Reb......muchly appreciated. What color or colors are you using for the dots down the sides? Thanks, Mac

Lately I've been dotting with Sharpies by adding several colors making circular patterns at first with blue, for example, then filling the inside of the small circle with brown and then adding a small red dot in the middle...........accidentally stumbled on drying for just a few minutes and putting the minnow size flukes in the smallest ziplock that will fit. After a day or so, the color edges soften and fuze creating a whole new effect....kinda like magic in a bag...wow.

Thanks again, and Good Fishing, Mac
Old 07-20-12, 11:45 AM   #30
joedog

Reb,thanks.
I've put a dot, probaly larger than yours but I'm not sure how large a bait you use or the dot size. Are you frekling it down the sides all the way to the tail Or staying closer to the face and gills?
Mac2, thanks.
When you say minnow size, you talking a three inch fluke, paddle tail or more of a mimic minnow type of thing. You then throwing weightless, texas rigged wieghted or a straight shank or a wide gap?

Again, I thank everyone for the ideas but I have to say something.
The...'Just saying' thread....1927 looks and 206 replies, all under a non fishing thread. ( Ya I've followed it and yes Ken although I truely don't like some of the tactics. It's a car wreck I've truely enjoyed! )
I've learned some new words and I now can answer any question anyone has about the interstate. ( No it wasn't designed so theres a mile straight stretch every five miles so planes can land during war and yes the multiple curves in the rest truely was intended to help drivers stay awake but it's also much to do with the topography of the area.

What's your favorite TWEAKS? , thread, 470 looks...28 replies, half of which are mine.
I truely expect every single poster from the 'just saying' thread to leave me with at LEAST one tweak!!!!
I want to change what I CAN today, I've got a couple of months to help change the world or the country.

Again, thanks to everyone.
Old 07-20-12, 02:33 PM   #31
Rebbasser

I'll post a picture later so you can see what I mean.
Old 07-20-12, 04:28 PM   #32
bassinbob

Sometimes when I throw a buzzbait I reverse the skirt. When I do that I have on a small swimbait. Other times it's the bare hook with a small swimbait. When the shoreline is clear besides throwing Horny Toads up there I do the same with buzzbaits and spinnerbaits.
Joe I think a lot of people are looking for ideas from your post. Don't get upset if everyone is looking and not giving up their secrets. Be happy a lot of people are still learning and want to pick up some new and improved ideas.
Old 07-20-12, 06:53 PM   #33
Rebbasser

OK, guys, here you go:

The one on top is right out of the bag, the lower one is (obviously) the customized one. Flyrod loved throwing this bait. It is a watermelon/cream laminate Senko.

That picture explains it a whole lot better than I can!
Old 07-20-12, 08:19 PM   #34
Tavery5

When you T-rig craw type baits, thread your bullet weight up the line backwards, so the tip is against the bait, the flat edge of the weight will stir up more silt on the bottom and look more like the real thing trying to escape.
Old 07-20-12, 09:14 PM   #35
kennethdaysale

Joe I guess I'd call this a tweak. Lot's of times when throwing a weightless wacky senko I'll push the smallest glass worm rattle in the narrow end and the next larger size rattle in the blunt end. We've all seen that pulsating wiggle the ends of a senko makes as it's falling, now they're shaking the tiny(est) little Castenets(sp) as they fall. I never intended to tell anybody about this until bassinbob made feel like I was sandbagging on yall.
Old 07-20-12, 09:39 PM   #36
Jrob78

I like to fish paddle tail swimbaits a lot. One thing I do when I use weighted, screw lock hooks is cut about an inch long slit in the belly of the bait for the hook to go into. It makes rigging the bait straight easier and I believe also helps with hookups because the hook has less plastic to go through.
Old 07-21-12, 12:14 AM   #37
joedog

Rebbasser, thx for the pics. I got a baby bass fluke dotted up for the morning, freckled but now I'll try both. Did it before I saw your pics.

bassinbob, thx I like the buzz/swimbait idea. I'm river fishing currently(small, shallow, thin) Need or want to fish the edges which are shallow and muddy (4 ln visibility)
This may be an idea.
Oh, I'm in no way upset with ANYONE whats so ever. I just wanted to RAZZ the 'The just saying' guys. And I truely did want everyone to pick something up that may just help them catch a few extra bass, especially seeing the weathers been so odd this year, tweaking maybe difference between catching a few or going home with only catching a smile.

Tav, Toney, Thx.
I have a T-rigged Space Monkey rigged up for my river smallie hunt, now I have a new way to try it.

Ken I new you were 'weed laying' on me!
Thx, I'm really struggling with the wackey bite this year. Now the gl.rattles I toss in my hollow body frogs run like .25 a rattle. Is this a good deal or should I be shopping more. Most I find are like .10 inch or maybe
3/4 inch, too long?

Jrob, thx cause I was just looking at my paddle tails today wondering how to use them on the river I'm fishing.

Thanks all
Haave a great weekend!
Old 07-22-12, 11:55 AM   #38
Jrob78

This tip isn't mine, it's one I've seen on tv quite a few times. I'm sure some of you have too but it's worth passing on. When fishing Senkos, especially wacky style, roll the tips of the bait in between your thumb and index finger. Roll and squeeze it hard enough to get some of the salt to come out of the tips. This will change the color of the ends a little bit and also change the salt content in the tips, which will in turn give the bait a different fall.
Old 07-22-12, 12:58 PM   #39
the pyromaniac

I shave a little bit off the lower lip on popping plugs. It makes a little bit frothier poppping sound, which can make the difference when bass have seen tons of poppers come through.

I also take a red Sharpie and add a little red on a lot of plugs. I'm convinced that it causes reaction strikes when a fish's predatory instincts are triggered.
the pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-12, 01:02 PM   #40
the pyromaniac

This isn't a tweak to make a lure catch more fish, but I use a fine point Sharpie to put my email address on my plugs so if I break them off, there's a possibility somebody might get in touch with me.
Old 07-22-12, 01:12 PM   #41
the pyromaniac

I also add a treble hook to the shank of a worm/swimbait hook when I'm throwing a fluke or soft swimbait. It increases my hookups by 600%.
Old 07-22-12, 03:12 PM   #42
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pyromaniac View Post
This isn't a tweak to make a lure catch more fish, but I use a fine point Sharpie to put my email address on my plugs so if I break them off, there's a possibility somebody might get in touch with me.
I Love optimism, way to set the bar high pyro! If someone ever emails me saying they've found my plug, whether it's a $4 Rebel or a $25 Deps Buzzjet, the only reply I could imagine is......please keep and enjoy it, your good intentions and superior moral fiber are reward enough.
Old 07-23-12, 12:40 PM   #43
ydoc
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pyromaniac View Post
Similar, but also not a "tweak"... I use an ultra-fine point sharpie and write the advertised diving/run depth of the bait on the underside of the bill/lip, or even on the belly. It sure helps me to group and to find the running-depth lure that I want/need.
ydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 03:58 PM   #44
joedog

Default Sharpie users...

...are probably aware of this but for those who aren't.
Sharpies has four packs of half size Sharpies (green, blue, red, black) and the thing I like is the caps have little metal clips on the caps so you can easily attach to a lanyard or clip on tool sheath or whatever. I have the black sharpie with me cause that covers most on water needs for me. (color braid, labeling, ect.) Rest I have on a clip at home.
Kind of handy.
Believe Wally World has them in school supplies?
Old 08-04-12, 08:26 PM   #45
kennethdaysale

Like most of you that fish a lot of jigs I lose several a month to break offs. So rather than throw the nice $3-$4+ ones into those deep summer brushpiles I Love to fish I buy the $1.50 Strike Kings. The problem is (for me) the cheap fat trailer keeper is so blunt that it tears up my fav Berkley Crazy Legs Chigger Craw so bad that after a cast or two it slides down the shaft just casting it. Not a problem on chunk type trailers but I prefer to thread um on. So................a few seconds with a good round file and tahdah
Old 08-04-12, 11:34 PM   #46
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I Love optimism, way to set the bar high pyro! If someone ever emails me saying they've found my plug, whether it's a $4 Rebel or a $25 Deps Buzzjet, the only reply I could imagine is......please keep and enjoy it, your good intentions and superior moral fiber are reward enough.
I'd say the same thing, Kenny!

Great tip in the keeper in the jig-I've had the same problem in the past and that looks like it solved it. Thanks!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.