Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-12, 09:29 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default jerk baits

finally went out and bought some, confusing to find if you dont know 100% what you are lookin for, bought all rapala, one was clearence gold and black, other was pale white with fish outline one it, and other 2 were same but in 2 sizes, the smallest i presume to throw with spinning tackle, but the other what is best for them, could i use my crank rod, Triumph 7 M action, with 6 gear. or a MH with a 7 gear ratio. also what are some other companies that make em, heck compaed to other baits wouldnt even know these was jerks without it saying husky jerk on side.

also guy that worked there told me that slash baits were the same, usally dont take employees advice, i dont even know what they are.. anyway thank for answeing my questions
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 10:21 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Jerk baits come in several versions. When I think Jerk bait I see a long, slender bait usually with 2 or 3 trebles hanging under the belly. They can sink, float or suspend. Mostly when I'm thinking jerk bait, I'm thinking a small lip that will get a bait down 5' - 6' generally, but there are some with bigger bills to be fished deeper. As the name implys, they are usually fished with a jerking motion, not a steady retreive. They are meant to be cranked down to depth, stopped then usually fished with a series of jerks, then let to sit for a few seconds. A medium/fast rod between 6'6" and 7'0" is usually the rod for throwing them. Slash baits are very similiar but they are usually a little shorter, bulkier and tend to dart differently than a similiar weight "standard" jerk bait, but fished in the same manner. Both work well in colder water - early spring or late fall.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 10:47 PM   #3
wallywallace

thanx, so glad i can use my rod, without buying a new one, is my reel alright a 6 gear or can i use it with a 7, guess it doesnt matter as long as i reel slow, thans bassboogieman
Old 01-25-12, 11:07 PM   #4
Dogmatic

I like the action using a 7'mf spinning outfit. But its personal pref., I like using rapala xraps

Last edited by Dogmatic; 01-26-12 at 11:00 AM.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 10:10 AM   #5
wallywallace

thinking when i get me a 6'7 rod for my pop-r and spooks, this rod could double
Old 01-27-12, 03:03 PM   #6
MIbasser

I use a Falcon Cara Jerk Bait Special 6'5" rod and a 6.xx Revo STX and typically 10 lb FC. For the baits themselves, I have about 20 Lucky Craft Pointers. Get some 78 and 100's and then both DD and regular suspenders and you'll be fine. I also have a few other brands but the LC's seem to be money for me.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-12, 03:21 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have several Jackall, Lucky Craft, and Spro jerkbaits, and they are amazing baits that catch a lot of fish. But the tried and true suspending Rogue is a great jerkbait at times and it's probably my favorite to fish because it doesn't wear me out like other jerkbaits that are designed to be fished with sharp jerks, mainly because I fish Rogues with much lighter twitches of the rod tip. For line I have always liked using Seaguar InvizX or AbrazX but recently seen some videos where Mike McClelland was talking about how he prefers mono line in the spring, I just bought another jerkbait setup and will probably spool it with mono and see how I like it. I currently have 3 jerkbait rods (which is a lot for a guy who honestly doens't like fishing them much). The reels on my jerkbait rods are the only baitcasters I own that aren't Revos. Not that a Revo isn't a good reel for jerkbaits but I like BPS Prolite reels for them because they cast light baits like Rogues really well in wind. My jerkbait rods are all Falcons and are 7' medium (FC4-17). I can't say that this is the best rod for jerkbaits because ideally I would like to have a little shorter rod because of the fatigue factor but because these rods cast light baits so well when paired with the Prolites, they pull double duty by fishing light crankbaits for me like Bandit 100s. I will say though that for a 7' rod they aren't uncomfortable to fish jerkbaits with. My next jerkbait rod will be more along the lines of a 6'6" - 6'8" rod that is medium heavy and probably with micro guides for fishing heavier jerkbaits like Jackall Squirrels or Lucky Craft Pointers, but for now I get along pretty well with them on the rods I mentioned above.

For me jerkbaits are mainly an early spring deal, because I don't like fishing them and once the water warms up I start fishing other baits. If your going to fish jerkbaits year round then I might consider getting a rod and reel that is perfectly designed for jerkbaits. But if your like me and only use them when you have to, I wouldn't get too caught up in finding the ideal rod for them because there are a lot of rods that will do fine with jerkbaits and pull double duty for other techniques.
Old 01-27-12, 03:52 PM   #8
wallywallace

thanks guys and carolina, at moment just doing somthing to catch them in river, but will get some lucky crafts when i got to bps
Old 01-31-12, 03:20 AM   #9
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Jerkbait really describes a technique or method, although it is mostly associated with stickbaits,(husky jerks, rogues, pointers...etc.) crankbaits and spinnerbaits can be used in the same manner.
What that guy told you is not true. The Husky Jerks actions is a lot more subtle than a slash bait. Although they are fished in a similar manner they are not the same. Husky jerks work for me better in colder water. Slash baits really produce for me well when water temps get in the upper 50's and low 60's.
Old 02-01-12, 09:42 PM   #10
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Lucky crafts are my favorite jerkbaits. I ALWAYS use suspending jerkbaits because the point of jerkbaits is to let it pause for long periods of time to look like a baitfish dying in cold water. When fishing jerkbaits, try pausing longer than you want to. In ultra cold water bass will stare at a bait for minutes before biting. On some lakes I deadstick for minutes at a time when neccesary. I prefer to use a baitcaster rather than spinning when fishing jerk baits, I feel I can give my lure better action when using a baitcaster, but either way I would use a 7' M. Use 8-12lb floro line.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 02:12 PM   #11
wallywallace

thinking of letting my topwater and jerkbait rod be the same, well without the floro
Old 02-04-12, 09:20 AM   #12
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
thinking of letting my topwater and jerkbait rod be the same, well without the floro
Please elaborate on this..... If you are planning on using FC, I wouldn't recommend it at all. It sinks and will kill the action on your topwater baits. Stick to mono for your topwater.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 09:00 PM   #13
wallywallace

i went ahead and bought the mojo top/jerk rod today at bps, and elaboration would be i and just going to use the same rod for both, but in winter i will use flurocarbon on the reel, since i wont be using topwater, then in the summer i wil switch to mono
Old 02-05-12, 11:18 AM   #14
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Congrats on the new rod, wally!
I haven't used a Mojo but I know several people here like em
Old 02-05-12, 01:06 PM   #15
wallywallace

yea i ended up getting 2 croixs yesterday, wallet cried monkey danced
Old 02-05-12, 06:47 PM   #16
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Someone got Monkey Punched!
Congrats on the new rods!
Old 02-05-12, 07:21 PM   #17
wallywallace

thanx, gonna go when i have a chance to take my bro, lol and extra set of hands
Old 02-07-12, 06:47 PM   #18
Mike304
BassFishin.Com Member

If you don't mind spending some money and want to try a great jerkbait, pick up a Megabass Vision 110. They are pricey, and I had a hard time at first pulling the trigger, but last year i bought 2 and the first time i used one I caught 44 smallies between 1 and 5 lbs in 4 hours.
I was throwing it on 15 lb Seguar Invisx. As expensive as they are i don't use them where there are pike. They are a great suspending bait. You won't be disapointed.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.