Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-09, 09:54 PM   #1
quenston
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Do you eat Bass?

I was just wandering how many of you actually eat bass? I eat White Bass but have never ate any other type bass. Just wandering?
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 10:06 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

YES,YES,YES!!!! LOVE EM!!!!! and no i don't eat the monsters....gotta catch them first. normal eating size for me is 15" to 4#. hope we have some at the get together.MMMMMMMMMMM
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 10:10 PM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Not so much for me. I usually only eat ones that I fear will not survive. I prefer trout, catfish, and most salt water fish for food.
Old 01-18-09, 10:17 PM   #4
quenston

I have never tried the regualr bass and as it looks I am gonna take Bamas word for it and try it out that is if I catch some tomorrow!
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 10:18 PM   #5
crankybait

ive had fresh smallmouth bass... amazingly tasty
Old 01-18-09, 10:22 PM   #6
MississippiBoy

I only eat bass if Lisa cooks it.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 10:26 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

We eat them, but prefer others. I do like bass, they are a very soft fillet, but very tasty. I think I'd still take a perch, walleye, or bluegill over a bass on my plate though.

BB
Old 01-18-09, 10:34 PM   #8
bamabassman

thaks ssissippiboy, i'll tell her.
Old 01-18-09, 10:47 PM   #9
rangerryan

who would eat a wormy ole bass? besides i like to turn'em loose just so i can catch'em again.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 11:00 PM   #10
bassinbob

I ate one when I was about 12 years old. From what I remember I liked it over walleye.
Old 01-18-09, 11:03 PM   #11
Basscrazie

I eat whites but not LM.Even caught some whites today but the front pushed the big mommas back in the river.Found some early right at the mouth of a feeder creek.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 12:24 AM   #12
Tall

I used to eat bass many years ago and yes I like most fish, but now all I do is catch em and put them in my pond. I have youngsters that come fish and put them back in. I want let them keep them. We can catch them over and over. Crappie is what I grew up mostly fishing for at night under a lattern all summer long camped on an island on Lake Ouachita. You talking about slab crappie, they went from the bend of your arn to off the end of your finger tips. I wish both my parents were still her to go do it again, but they be in heaven.

The good ole days of the 60's and early 70's because my dad passed away sooner then I would have liked, but we had many fond memories of the out doors hunting and fishing together and the summers camping together. A natural high - on life.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 03:11 PM   #13
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall View Post
. You talking about slab crappie, they went from the bend of your arn to off the end of your finger tips. I wish both my parents were still her to go do it again, but they be in heaven.

The good ole days of the 60's and early 70's because my dad passed away sooner then I would have liked, but we had many fond memories of the out doors hunting and fishing together and the summers camping together. A natural high - on life.
Made me think of waking up in dads truck (we would get in late friday nights and dad would not wake his mom up that late and scare her) at grandma's on them cold november deer hunts, and the foggy mornings putting in at the river for a all day float trip with my dad and uncle J B . Good memories, due to his health my dad hasn't been able to hunt and fish for a while now but man I can still smell those mornings.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 12:42 AM   #14
bamabassman

well tall if you keep putting back ALL the bass, they won't get so size to em. you HAVE to thin out the herd buddy. i ain't saying take all of em out. get with your local wildlife folks, they can tell you how many to harvest per year. this will help you grow bigger and better quality bass. just like deer in the forest...you must thin out the herd.

now i hope that none of you folks think that i am being bad cause i eat bass. believe me, the few that i catch (no joking here either,lol) aren't enough to hurt the population i promise ya that. i DO NOT like bream (too fishy tasting), or catfish for the same reason. i love crappie. but i hate to crappie fish as much as catfishing. love to bream fish with my flyrod and topwater flies (poppers). noiw i also eat shrimp, amberjack,flounder among other salt water fish. not too many though, VERY fishy tasting to me.
Old 01-19-09, 12:54 AM   #15
Rebbasser

Nope. I'd rather catch them, release them, and catch them again when they get bigger.
Old 01-19-09, 06:18 AM   #16
pig_n_jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Nope. I'd rather catch them, release them, and catch them again when they get bigger.
Its like killing something that means so much to you.You spend every waking hour thinking about bassin'. You spend an ungodly amount of money on bass tackle and equipment in pursuit of catching them.I would rather catch them another day then to have a full stomache for an hour.

No I don't like killing a bass.I do eat them if they die on me or I know they aren't going to make it.It doesn't happen often but often enough to know I don't like it.

Now in saying that, perch, pike, pickerel, trout, walleye.I have no problem taking a few of these species to eat.2 Years ago I caught 457 lake trout.I kept 9 of them to eat. I like fish every once in a while but I am not going to starve to death if I don't keep my catch.I would rather they live to be caught another day. P N J
Old 01-19-09, 01:01 AM   #17
barkelypup

Bamy as long as you have a licsense and abide by the creel and size limit you don't have to appologize for eating someting that you catch legally. I wouldn't give a rats rump if you eat them, put them in the pond, or turned them loose from the hole they came. If you pay the fiddler, you deserve the dance. All this you are Satan if you don't release a fish is a bunch of bull if you ask me. Just follow the law and its all good.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 01:11 AM   #18
Tennessee

Default Yes

I will eat bass love the taste.. I do catch and release but it doesn't hurt to manage fish it actually makes for better lakes and water ways to produce LARGER fish.

Fry those bad boys up with white beans and hush puppies

yummmmmmmy

Later Will
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 06:18 AM   #19
woody

Oh it depends I might keep a couple of them when I'm out camping, but usually I'll just snap a quick picture, then release them.

~Woody
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 07:30 AM   #20
JB

we grew up eating bass and crappie and bluegills, these days I'd rather get a walleye or crappie and eat it, however I have no problem with others eating bass, just dont see any sense in eating the big mama's...let the genetically bigger fish spawn to have more in the future.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 10:35 AM   #21
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

One thing I take into consideration when keeping bass for the fryer, is size. We don't have a size requirements here, so we keep the 13-15" fish. The fillets aren't huge, but they are pretty good.

BB
Old 01-19-09, 07:47 PM   #22
abu4600

I love to eat the small ones.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 08:15 PM   #23
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Strictly catch & release for me and all the Res Rats I fish with. I do eat a few trout from time to time, but that's it for freshwater fish.

While I don't eat any Bass nor Pickerel, I don't object to others keeping legal fish. But too many fisherman keeping legal limits will do more harm then good over the long haul. Just look at the poor condition of many of our fisheries until C & R became a reality.
Old 01-20-09, 02:46 PM   #24
3dkicker

Are they deep fried and are hushpuppies included??
Old 01-20-09, 03:01 PM   #25
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I will occationally eat bass. They're good to eat. I only keep them out of the ponds I fish that are over populated with them and I only keep the smaller ones. Anything 3 lbs. or better goes back. Now I have no problem filling a cooler with Crappie. When I want fish to eat then that's what I'm after. The next couple months is when I get a freezer full of Crappie fillets!

Last edited by BassAddict; 01-21-09 at 12:02 PM.
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.