Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-05-07, 07:31 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Braided Line?

Hey guys i have been buying so much stuff this winter, (250-350 dollars worth of new stuff), and had a question to ask? I have a baitcasting reel (Pinnacle) on a 6'6" Medium Action Rod, and was wonder if 20 lb. braid would work with most crankbaits, and spinnerbait conditions. The medium action rod has a very soft tip... Thanks

Ryan
Old 02-05-07, 09:28 PM   #2
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Braid is probably gonna pull a lot of crankbait hooks from the fish's mouths because of its near-zero stretch and would probably keep your crankbaits from going as deep as they're marked because of how braided line floats, but it might work on spinnerbaits, especially in heavy cover.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 09:36 PM   #3
weaverml34

I like to use mono for crankin. A lot of guys use braid for spinnerbaits. It's basically all up to you and what your comfortable with. I would use braid if your fishing spinnerbaits on a medium rod. Try using braid for your cranks and if you like it then go with it.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 09:54 PM   #4
skeeter944

I like mono for both cranking and spinnerbaiting,but braid will work also. Get what works for you.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 12:26 AM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ryan, I think you will be OK. I like mono for cranks but if you let the rod do the work you should be fine.
Old 02-06-07, 06:21 AM   #6
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
I like mono for cranks but if you let the rod do the work you should be fine.
Right on. My last 2 10 pound fish were both caught on cranks with braid on a rod heavy rod with a fast tip using 30 lbs braid. I just kept pulling the same direction the fish was swimming while reeling in line. When she'd turn I'd just make sure to give her a little extra line. If you pull away from where they're swimming, they tend to jump as you end up pulling their mouth to the top of the water. If pulling the direction they swim, their body stays more horizontal and tend not to jump.
Old 02-06-07, 09:40 AM   #7
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

I personally like braid with both crankbaits and spinnerbaits. You can feel every single thing that bait runs into and when there is even a single piece of weed on the bait....i can't get that out of any mono. You do have to be aware you are using line with no stretch and not rip the lips off the fish. I have been using it for over a yr without any loss fish.

Also stated above that braid floats.....I have used many different brands and have not found one yet that floats. Thus no stretch and the fact that it sinks (most of it fast) it can get at LEAST the recommended dive stated on the lure....most often time more.

If there is a floating braid someone let me know what it is because it would be good for top water through pads.
Old 02-06-07, 12:35 PM   #8
Bob60
BassFishin.Com Member

I use 10/40 PP for spinnerbaits and lipless cranks w/7' MH rod. Just back off the drag a tad. The main thing is to find what works for you.
Bob60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 09:36 PM   #9
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by spego View Post
Also stated above that braid floats.....I have used many different brands and have not found one yet that floats.

Without a doubt Powerpro Braid FLOATS, as does Stren Superbraid(the last time I used it anyways). I love braid, but I don't know what kind you are using that doesn't float. However the thinner diameter does make a difference on getting the cranks down IMO. I also agree it allows you to feel every turn of the blades, every wiggle of the crank, every tiny piece of grass.

Lizards
Old 02-06-07, 09:55 PM   #10
spego
BassFishin.Com Member

never used powerpro or stren superbraid.....i thought my dad was using stren superbraid though and I thought he told me it did not but I may be wrong. I have used spiderwire and gorilla tough mostly and I know for sure they sink.

I need to try this powerpro. I am interested in something that small of a diameter and floats for some topwater. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by spego; 02-06-07 at 10:25 PM.
spego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 10:21 PM   #11
HOG Ranger

If you guys would switch to Fireline you could fish it for anything!
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.