Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-27-07, 02:19 PM   #1
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to usngsm2
Default Custom paint jobs

I have a few lures that aren't old just odd balls and so I am about to send them off to get a custom paint job. Has anyone ever done the same? Where you pleased with the work?
usngsm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 07:04 PM   #2
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Who's gonna do it? There are tons of lure refinisher out there, and a ton of bad one's!

Check the banner ads, Batey Custom Lures is a member of this site and does a good job.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 07:06 PM   #3
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Terry Clark, Robzilla and Carolina Chip also do wonderful work
Old 02-05-07, 01:58 AM   #4
crab
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Let us know how it turns out.
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 06:47 AM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yeah but it is costly..not sure want batey charges but i do know what others charge..make definatly sure you want to repaint them...

zooker
Old 02-05-07, 12:59 PM   #6
Big Mac
BassFishin.Com Member

The difference in price is what you expect from a hand painted lure to your specifications vs a factory painted lure from a assembly line cookie cutter paint job. I have had lures painted by both Terry Clark, and Carolina Chip. I have no complaints at all. If a $5 lure works for me and the paint job no longer does, I'll keep the lure and get a $10 to $15 paint job to make it work again. I have tried to buy a duplicate lure off the rack and they never seem to work just right, the same as the original. Just my 2 cents

......mac
Big Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 08:40 AM   #7
Mac1

Right on about the duplicate lures not working as well......something JNP taught me and since learning that, I've run into a lot of local tournament fishermen saying the exact same thing. The challange is to come up with why they don't perform as well, but so far, we've all drawn blanks. Good fishing, Mac

p.s. Welcome to the board!
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 09:14 AM   #8
whittler
BassFishin.Com Member

If your wondering why some lures work better than others you need to cut a few apart for a close look. The lure pictured is a $2 Renegade but there are other more expensive baits that are made no better. The main problem is the weights are not the same, or they don't move correctly inside the bait, they are here in one cast and somewhere else the next. This bait uses what appears to be similar to weld spatter, there are a few baits that use metal drill cuttings for rattles. Some baits there is flash from the molding process that cause the weights either not to move or only move partially which upsets the balance. So if you have a good one, repaint it.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/074949.JPG
Old 02-10-07, 10:46 PM   #9
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The difference in price is what you expect from a hand painted lure to your specifications vs a factory painted lure from a assembly line cookie cutter paint job. I have had lures painted by both Terry Clark, and Carolina Chip. I have no complaints at all. If a $5 lure works for me and the paint job no longer does, I'll keep the lure and get a $10 to $15 paint job to make it work again. I have tried to buy a duplicate lure off the rack and they never seem to work just right, the same as the original. Just my 2 cents

......mac
Words of wisdom spoken by one who has done there homework. You as well as others now know why normally when I buy a crank I usually buy at least 3. I can just about gurantee you that one of the 3 will catch fish better than the other 2.

Last edited by 1FASTLASER; 02-10-07 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 01:26 AM   #10
Rebbasser

Laser, I knew there was a reason I liked you . I NEVER buy just one of any crankbait. I get at least 2, and if I find one I like 4 or 5 for the very reason you stated. That, and the fact if I only buy one I'll lose it probably on the first cast I make with it .

One thing I do is keep a sharpie in the boat, and when I catch one on a new bait I put a black dot on the bill so I know that one works.
Old 02-11-07, 01:34 AM   #11
zooker

as whittler states not all baits are equal... they do not use the same rattle material in the same baits.. baits like this are made in large factory's with probly 30 poeple putting what ever into the bait mold before they pour the plastic. not all of these poeple use the same stuff..

zooker
Old 02-11-07, 09:50 AM   #12
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
as whittler states not all baits are equal... they do not use the same rattle material in the same baits.. baits like this are made in large factory's with probly 30 poeple putting what ever into the bait mold before they pour the plastic. not all of these poeple use the same stuff..

zooker
One more reason to acquire your baits from someone who carves, then paints them themselves!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 12:40 PM   #13
Bassinkid

i always do mine with small touches with some orange, chartreuse, or any color that would stand out on the lure and the area
Bassinkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.