Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-11-07, 07:45 AM   #26
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I still like to weight the tails on the suspending rogues, so they sit level in the water.Usually 2 suspend dots on the tail to level them out and then 1, or 2 more front and back to make them suspend easier with less work. If you get a sniffer fish, the weighted tail is the ticket.If you snap the rod hard, the rogue will spin 180 degrees and come right at the sniffer fish, many times they will eat it instead of just following it.You can alter the action of the bait by using the suspend dots. weight the tail and the bait will swim with a wider action, dot the middle and it puts less action, more of a shimmy swimming action.dot the front and it will dive deeper and keep the action about the same as it was.I hope this helps. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 02:49 PM   #27
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've carried suspend dots but have mixed feelings on if it takes away from the tumble and action of the rogue. Granted, its the way to sink em, if you can wait long enough for them to sink before starting the cadence..
I usually stick a few under the bill area and then one in the middle and one on the tail, and see what that does..its alot of trial and error to get the desired weight plus still getting the action ya need out of the rogue.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 04:46 PM   #28
pig n jig

JB, The middle weight may be killing the action your looking to get.Its been a while since I have had to fool with them, but I also agree with you and Keithdog, the rogue is the best jerkbait on the market. P N J
Old 02-11-07, 04:49 PM   #29
JB

the first couple of weeks in the spring ya have to work up your endurance with the contant jerking, about 45 minutes is all I can work one the first time out, I need to slow it down huh
Old 02-11-07, 05:00 PM   #30
pig n jig

I am right there with you.F/n blisters,arm & shoulder hurts like hell, the whole nine yards.I must look funny as hell because I notice I twist my whole body when working the rod after the arm starts throbbing like a b!tch. I haven't had alot of success slowing the cadence down, but then again, I don't usually know anything different than how you fish them as well.We old school Jb. The Rapala X-Rap , yes I catch a whole lot more fish fishing them slower, but I only ran on to that by accident.The X-Rap is a lazy jerk jerkbait compared to the rogues.It makes me hate them rogues, the older I get. ROFLMAO.....P N J
Old 02-11-07, 05:34 PM   #31
JB

i'm going to force myself to fish them slow and count to 8 or so between twitches..my problem is that when I was taught to rogue it was from members of my bass club about 15 years ago, and it was usually later in april n may...the guys here jerk it aggressively and don't pause much, looking for walleye or bass to hit them.
Old 02-14-07, 01:38 AM   #32
bassfanpa
BassFishin.Com Member

JB, not sure where you're at, but I live in Pennsylvania, where it's cold in April when we realy start to get after them. If the water temp is 46, you may have already missed the best jerkbait bite. When the temps hit 43 I start slow rolling a spinnerbait, or throw a crankbait to get those fish to eat. Sure, fish will still eat a jerk, but, there are fish that move up early, and these are the ones I count on. 42 and below, I throw a Pointer 100 or a Megabass ito 110, above that, I look for aggressive fish that will eat a moving bait... Good Luck to you this spring
bassfanpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 12:47 PM   #33
JB

I may have to try those tactics in colder water than I expected, thanks!
we live in southwest Ohio,
about 30 miles west of dayton ohio, right next to the indiana border near richmond ind.
click to enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	eaton.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1436
Old 02-14-07, 10:45 PM   #34
basskass
BassFishin.Com Member

thats my favorite bait to use during cold temperature i like the action
basskass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 12:56 AM   #35
Bassinkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

long michigan winters builds up furry in me from not fishing so i tend to get to hyped and jerk too fast or hard. i guess its gettin back into the swing of things though.
Bassinkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.