Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-23-08, 01:56 PM   #1
Mac10
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Zoomies

Zoom Baits makes a Speedworm in two models, the regular speedworm and the ultra vibe speedworm. If you have the regular paddle tail speedworm in watermelon/red, clip off the tail at the narrow spot. If you have the ultra vibe model, cut the body a quarter inch up from the hooktail. For whatever the reason, watermelon red works the best of all the colors offered in the speedworm line.
Texpose the "Zoomie" body with a 2/0 worm hook and fish it weightless in the following manner.
Use a skipping sidearm cast at all times, even when casting to relatively open waters such as those approaching weed edges, rocks, etc. etc. In short, cast toward likely cover/structure. Let fall to bottom. If a fish doesn't grab it on the fall, wait 30 seconds, watching line at all times, if still nothing, lift the bait s l o w l y about two feet off bottom to feel for fish...if you still feel nothing on, tremor the bait once. This tremor is made by gripping the rod handle tighter in a quick manner without tryin to move the rod tip intentionally. This sudden tightening on the handle causes the line and lure to pulse and the bait suddenly darts a bit in an unpredictable direction.
After tremoring the bait, let it re-fall and pause again, but this time for 15 seconds on bottom...lift once again, but this time if you don't feel anything on, reel in at a moderate rate. All in all, it will take about one minute per cast if done correctly.
Zoomies cast like a bullet and skip very well. Also great for fishng under docks, laydowns, and rocks. In the weeds, they do well also. In thick weeds, cast to open pockets, let fall, they will momentarily hang on weeds.....after they stop falling, pause a few seconds, then give the lure a slow pull, just enough to dislodge it from it's resting place and then on a free line let it fall again. Do this enough times and the zoomie will often work its way clear to the bottom.
If the end tears up from fighting fish, rig it in the other end....if that end also wears out, rig it in the middle for wacky fishing.
I don't think I could convince you how effective this bait and method is for catching both largemouth and smallmouth bass.......but it works very well.
I use 6 lb test line on a MH graphite rod for fishing zoomies. I also cut off the motor and drift into the area I want to fish. I also turn off the fish finder before entering the area.
Good Fishing, Mac
Old 05-23-08, 08:38 PM   #2
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac10 View Post
I also turn off the fish finder before entering the area.

Good Fishing, Mac
Why?

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 10:08 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

buzzie, the fish can really hear the humming of the troller. for real, they can. especialy if the water is clear and very shallow. i have seen bass 50 yards away flee from the troller.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 11:24 PM   #4
3dkicker

Next time you get a chance take a swim under the depth finder and let us know what you hear. Might answer your question.
Old 05-24-08, 07:49 AM   #5
Mac10

Buzz Wing....

I was going on some advice by Doug Hannon in an instructional video he did. He recommends turning it off in fishy areas due to the spook factor. I don't have any first hand experience with this, but am just trusting what he spoke of.
Old 05-24-08, 10:04 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

sound travels 10 times faster under water my friend.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 10:15 PM   #7
crankybait

Mac, i remember you posted this article a while ago, like a year ago, and it was the greatest. You even sent me a few of those zoom speedworms. Really put me into using stickbaits, and I think I've been through like 5 packs of speedworms since then. Got me out of skunkage too... so thanks a lot, seriously. I'm pretty sure i started catching more or less after starting this technique, and its still probably my most used.
Old 05-24-08, 10:59 PM   #8
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

what do they look like in their original and after form?
MrPhotographer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-08, 07:47 AM   #9
Mac10

The regular speedworms have a senko type body....ridged, a tad thick and gently tapered toward each end....they have a rounded flap tail. The ultra vibe speedworms have a longer body, not quite as thick and have a hooktail. When you cut off the tails as described above, you end up with a regular looking stickbait.

One thing that sells me on the lure is the fact that there is no internal salt like most similar baits. They fall more slowly on an unweighted hook. So, when you fish them as described you are using a combination slow-fall/deadsticking presentation with a skipping cast to announce their general location.

Crankybait, thanks for your feedback....it's certainly appreciated.

Good Fishing, Mac
Old 05-25-08, 07:11 PM   #10
tnfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i just bought a pack of speed craws in bull frog color
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.