Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-10-09, 04:16 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Another Crankin’ Story by IB 07-09-09

I recently started making my second crankbait. This one was made using the through-wire construction method, which I found to be a bit more challenging. I also decided to try a slightly different lip angle and use more weight to slow the rise of the crankbait, just to see what that would do.

I had to test the bait because I figured there would be no point in painting it if it didn’t work properly.

I got to the lake’s parking lot at 6:20 pm and was on the dock by 6:25 pm. I only had about 10 minutes to field test it. You ever have that feeling in your gut to use a certain technique (crankbaits) because you can feel it? Well, I was feeling it, that crankbaits were the ticket to the bass today, and I believed it with a warm and soothing confidence that could not be perceived or misconstrued as arrogance. No way. Just a gut feeling.

Buoyancy test: Passed. The bait dipped and rose to the surface and more slowly that the first crankbait. Check!

Wiggle test: Passed. It wiggled somewhat like the first crankbait, but it was less lively, probably a result of having put more lead into the body. This was a desired trait to achieve, to help me throw the bass or other fish a curve ball if they didn’t want a faster rising crankbait. Check!

Casting test: Passed. Like the first one, this crankbait casts very well and its extra weight helped it to cut through the air even better. Check!

During all of these tests, I engaged in pleasant banter with others on the dock. When they learned the lure was homemade, they thought it was pretty neat.

I don’t know what it is about field-testing my crankbaits, but I’m batting two for two if ever a five-minute mercy rule were imposed on me. I am now in full support of such a regulation. About five minutes after my first cast, I felt the bait get caught up on top of some grass. Doing what we bass anglers normally do, I ripped it free and felt a gentle take. It was definitely a take because grass doesn’t bite back.

I blurted, “Wow! I got one! Oh my gosh. I really got one! Yeah!!!!” as I reeled up some line and gently pulled the rod back. Never mind the disbelief of the folks on the dock next me as they peered over the rail to see for themselves. I couldn’t believe it. There I go again, shouting and laughing like I did last time, just embarrassing myself in public.

When she got close to the dock’s rail, I could see she was about a 2.75 lb. bass that was lightly hooked by one tip of a treble. I got her close enough for the folks to see her. Next, I let my line go slack so she could free herself, which she managed to do. I am glad she freed herself because if she couldn’t I would have had to reach through the rails to lip her and risk getting hooked and get the lovely fishy smell on my hands that doesn’t come off so easily and then the Mrs. will know I went fishing, yada, yada, and then get busted because I was supposed to come straight home, and never hear the end of it.

I made it home by 6:45 pm, in good time to start the grill up for dinner.

My poor bait is going to need some touching up. It appears that bass teeth can easily damage unprotected balsa.

Thanks again for coming along and sorry there’s no picture of the bass. My camera phone doesn’t take photo-worthy pictures anyway. There were many witnesses to boot. Goodness gracious! I still can’t get over catching a bass on an unpainted and unfinished crankbait.

-ib

Update: Someone suggested that the damage done to the bait might have been done by the trebles. I compare the spacing of the marks to those of the trebles and they are very close. I think it is reasonable to conclude that the damage was likely caused by the trebles instead of Ms. Bass. It did strike me as odd that bass teeth could do that but I was perplexed at that time. Thanks to Waterwings.

Last edited by islandbass; 07-10-09 at 02:10 PM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 08:48 AM   #2
aikenyounggun

dude that is sweet, i bet its really cool to catch a fish on your on lure.....

good job and keep the pics and stories coming
Old 07-10-09, 09:24 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Nice Job man! It's always great to catch a fish on a lure you made. I really want to get started, but have no money at the moment.

BB
Old 07-10-09, 11:48 AM   #4
Jim80

That's awesome IB they are really coming along man keep it up .

Jim
Old 07-10-09, 05:18 PM   #5
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Hey IB, that is awesome work on the home builds, and keep a can of Morton salt in your ride. It will sock the fish smell off and you can enjoy the feeling of the thick lip.
Old 07-10-09, 06:29 PM   #6
keithdog

Thats really cool. Keep it up, I have a feelin your going to go a long way making your own baits.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 11:26 PM   #7
Bassboss

Wow IB, sweet crank!

I thought about just putting epoxy on some of mine, though I give them a color they've never seen..... I would call it... wood!
Old 07-11-09, 01:09 AM   #8
66KingFisher

Another success story huh?....cool,keep it up......If I may make a suggestion, I understand from doing my own research over at TU.com recently, that its highly advisable to always seal your wood baits before you perform any water tests....You don't want the raw wood to soak up any water.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 05:18 AM   #9
islandbass

Thanks for the advice, 66. What would you recommend for this presealer before painting?
Old 07-12-09, 09:40 PM   #10
66KingFisher

Guys seem to use everything from Krylon spray clear to applying an epoxy finish with a brush like you'd do for the final coat......You can also use stuff like polyurethane clear which is what i'm gonna try since i've already got a quart sittin in the shop.....They just seem to stress that the wood needs to be sealed so it won't absorb any water.....apparently thats bad....lol.
Old 07-12-09, 10:02 PM   #11
66KingFisher

I've just about aquired enough components to start building some topwater baits myself.....I can only hope i'll have as much success with mine as you've had with yours.

All these wood bodies were turned on a lathe by a gentleman here in Arkansas....lots of misc types of wood so i'm anxious to try out a few and see what I can do with them.....I'll be ordering some unfinished balsa and plastic crankbaits bodies to try out my airbrushing skills on as well.....I'll let ya know how that goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lure-bodies.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	3860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lure-components.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	3861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lure-components-2.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	3862  
Old 07-13-09, 03:55 AM   #12
islandbass

Thanks, 66. That's a nice spread you have and those blanks look awesome. I have two cans of polysomething or other I will use to seal the baits from this point forward. This propionate I've read about at TT seems like one worth trying some time down the road.

I look forward to seeing your completed work.
Old 07-13-09, 01:04 PM   #13
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Great looking bait and cool story. I have a feeling that crankbait is going to become a lucky bait for you.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 01:34 PM   #14
crankybait

IB, for a quick, cheap sealer coat, try pouring some virgin laquer thinner into a large glass jar (that can fit your baits) and cut some plastic cups into small1 inch by 1 inch squares, then slowly mix them in. They will start to dissolve. mix them in until its about the consistency of milk. Then, dip your bait in and let it dry. You will see a plastic coat form on it. I used white dixie cups so i get a nice smooth watertight whitecoat before airbrushing so that I could play around abit. You don't want it getting wet because the wood will expand while wet and that can mess around with paint and coatings.

PS... you guys have me itching to dust off the equipment and hop back in on this. In fact, I think i will tomorrow...

Last edited by crankybait; 07-13-09 at 07:32 PM.
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 04:23 PM   #15
WatterBoy

Great story and pics, IB. Thanks for sharing!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.