Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-04-05, 11:56 AM   #1
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b
Default diff. between males and females

i was wondering, do the males and females hang out together or is one more likeley to be found in one place than the other. Just one of those things that popped into my head as i was fishin.

ThanX
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 12:42 PM   #2
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard
Default Re: diff. between males and females

Bass don't really form couples. I can't think of any fish that actually do.

They obviously get together to spawn, but other than that, the male (if it's female, correct me!) guards the nest and that's it.

Bass sometimes do form schools for purposes of hunting and protection, but I don't believe the group selection has anything to do with gender, they like to group with those of similar size.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 12:53 PM   #3
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i dont think for schools they group up with simialar size, because you will find smaller 4-5lb range fish swimming with bigger 8-10lb fish. during the spawn, the males and females will ''couple up'' so to speak. at this time, the females will look for a place to lay her eggs, and the male will clear the area out. then while the eggs are down, the female will stay untop of the bed, and the male will swim around it, or in the general area. after the fry hatches, the bass will stay with the fry till they are big enough to survive on their own. then, the adult bass will leave their young, and in some cases the male might eat them if they come back. then the ''couple'' will split, and its back to their normal life before spawn so to speak. now i know nothing, so this all may be wrong :-X
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 01:08 PM   #4
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b

im not talking about spawn i now that they pare up in the spawn but im talking about when they arent spawning and they are going about there normal lives. What i mean is do the females prefer diff. types of cover and structure than say the males. for example (this is a made up scenario) say the females like laydowns and it is more likely you will find them in a laydown then a male.
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 01:15 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

aaaa, probally not. i think cover is cover to a bass, as long as it makses it feel secure. bass cant be picky, they wont survive, you have to thinki, other then the cover a bass sees in its area, it has no idea there is other cover then that. so whatever kind of cover is in the area of the bass, thats the cover they will be holding to. they arnt born with some instinct telling them they preffer this over that, so any cover works. there may be no cover at all, then they hold to holes, or humps on the bottom.
Old 06-04-05, 05:34 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

easy the females wear a skirt..... :

there is no way to tell them apart by just looking at them. DO NOT get so hung up on male/female questions. bass either are or are not on a chunk of structure.if you catch a bass off a piece of struture. continue fishing it after 30-45 mintues of not catching any thing start looking for simlar structure-ie. tree laydowns-.
i can understand how really weird questions can appear in your head while fishing. just try to keep them to your self please.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 05:35 PM   #7
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

they dont really hang together, but they will be together if there is food in the area.
Old 06-04-05, 08:57 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

jordan. why would they not hang together? its not like they think they each have cooties : if there are bass both female and male in an area, and there is very little structure/cover, then they will both hang around the structure. there isnt something telling them to stay away from males. they both hang around the same area. now they wont get real close unless its small cover. so its not gunna look like they are coupled, but they will hang in the same areas....
Old 06-04-05, 10:58 PM   #9
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Females run the males around the place just like women try with men..
The female is always the bigger fish in almost all species
bass are no exception,
The little male bass will kissass for his time to "fertilize her eggs"
heck you would too if ya only got yer rocks off once a year....LOL
oh wait, that may apply to some already Â* ....... jk....
[img] http://www.adventurehouse.com/images/60525.jpg [/img]
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 01:29 PM   #10
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

After you catch a bass look at it's head. If it's got a small head compared to the rest of it's body then it's most likely a female. If it's head is large then it's most likely a male. As was previously mentioned, a female normally will out grow a male in size. Granted, there are males in excess of 5 lbs.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 03:14 PM   #11
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

that would explain why you look like a bobble head doll would it not bassnman.

lmao.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 03:08 PM   #12
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Hey Zook, take it easy. Some people can't help the way that they look. It's like being dumb. Some people can't help that but ignorance is something else.
So my head ain't in line with my body, my shoulders may droop, I may not have a butt, but thats not my falt.
So the question is : Whats your excuse ? !!!!! HA,HA

Hey man don't forget the meeting, it's this eve. at the well,we may have changed the location behind your back. Granted,that was intentional, we were aware of what we were doing, not "ignorant" of the fact !!!!
Seriously, see you there 6:00, Sunrise Grille.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.