Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-07, 11:27 AM   #1
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What about hooks?

You guys are a fountain of information! I've read tons already about line, reels, rods and every lure/bait imagineable. The strand about start up tackle was great. I enjoyed everyones different opinions/ideas, I may have to mortgage the house for the list I'm keeping! What about hooks? size, type etc.. mosatly we fish soft plastics... Remember I'm new to this walk me through it...
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:25 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use gammys, offset, but most hooks now adays are pretty sharp!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:29 PM   #3
Bender

I have used Gammy, Diiachi, and for the most part I am getting Owner hooks now. I think that a lot of it is personal preference when it comes to the "top of the line" hook companies. They all are pretty sharp, but they all offer some different styles.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 01:58 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Brushhog, hooks are one of those areas that WON'T break the bank . For the vast majority of soft plastics I use a 2/0, 3/0, or 4/0 Gamakatsu Extra Wide Gap, or EWG hook:

The numbers indicate the size-the larger the number, the larger the hook. 3/0 and 4/0 are the ones I use most, with 2/0 for smaller baits and tubes.

In another post you mentioned wacky rigging. For those I use a Gamakatsu wide gap finesse hook. This one is a weedless model:

Which is good for fishing around cover, but I use the one without the weedguard for the vast majority of my wacky rigging. If you get a few packs of those you will be good to go for pretty much any soft plastic.
Old 02-02-07, 05:08 PM   #5
Other
BassFishin.Com Member

I use the Gammy extra wide gap hook the most because I rig everything weedless expet for my flukes. Extra wide gap makes it easy to make it weedless.
Other is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 05:13 PM   #6
zooker

gammy's and mustad. as for size it depends on the lure ya use.. as a 4" finesse worm is great for a 2/0 ewg the same 2/0 does not work with frogs..and vice versa a 4/0 ewg -my choice- for frogs don't work well with 4" finesse worm..my persona stash of terminal tackle is 2/0-4/0 and i do have a pack of 6/0 ewg super braid hooks.. i rarely use anything smaller.

trebles are where the mustad hooks really shine..

zooker
Old 02-02-07, 05:15 PM   #7
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I'm a Mustad Man, I like the light bite wide gaps
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 07:36 PM   #8
Deacon
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I myself throw nothing but Gammy. 3/0 and 4/0 90% of the time. EWG is the norm around hre for me. Depending on what bait specifically I will use the EWG Superlines!
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 11:11 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Might I suggest for you to try a couple of different kinds. I like Owner Offset hooks for most lizards and plastic worms. I Like Gammy's Superline 3/0-4/0 for crawfish type baits, and Texposer 5/0 for Flukes. I have a different brands for different applications. Drop Shot I like Gammy's also. Also realize the the Owner's and Gammy Superline hooks are usually thicker gauge wire. So IMO they do affect the speed of fall of the bait when fishing plastics weightless. Also how you rig the bait with the hook also affects the speed of the fall. For example if you have the eye of the hook sticking out when texas rigging, it will fall faster and more vertical than when you place the eye of the hook all the way into the worm. Most folks might not pay attention to these types of things, but a sharp hook is one of your very best friends. Buy a inexspensive hook sharpener, and keep your hooks sharp. Especially when fishing plastics, most folks rig them weedless, meaning you will have to get through some part of the plastic before the hook will ever see the Bass's mouth. Don't go over board with all the baits/techniques just getting into Bass fishing. You'll have years to break the bank. Start out with a couple and master those, then move onto the next one. For kids live bait is almost a must. You have to keep them interested, and many times just throwing artificials without immediate success will bore them and make them think of the x-box. Also always check your hooks on trebble hook baits, they usually dull quickly after a few logs, and bend relatively easily. I agree with zooker, with trebbles, Mustad is my brand of choice, the triple grips are just awesome.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 02-03-07 at 10:21 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 11:58 PM   #10
Bassinkid

Gammy has worked pretty good for me.
Bassinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-07, 12:27 AM   #11
flbassman

Gammys, mustad and tru-turn. They're all good hooks. Keep 'em sharp!
Old 02-03-07, 12:38 AM   #12
bassinbob

Lizards, not to be at odds with you but....I just recently saw on TV where someone said the better hooks from brand name companies are not to be sharpened. The factory cut is destroyed when you attempt to sharpen them. Maybe it was just a ploy to sell more product. I usually replace hooks during the day. Someone always has a good deal on them or I find them in bargin bins. Like you I use different brands for different methods.

Bob
Old 02-03-07, 12:44 AM   #13
dampeoples

I'm pretty sure he meant after a fish or two, not out of the box.
Old 02-03-07, 12:48 AM   #14
bassinbob

I'm sure he did too. But the man in the show said never.

Bob
Old 02-03-07, 01:06 AM   #15
flbassman

Supposedly, if they're chemically sharpened, sharpening take the edge off of them. A good way to test is to drag it on your thumbnail, and if it sticks immediately, you're good to go.
Old 02-03-07, 01:28 AM   #16
Jolly

We use Mustad Ultra Point Mega Bite in 3/o or 4/o size for flukes and tubes. We use Mustad Worm Hook. It's a straight shank, is thick, sharp and hooks em in the top of the mouth 90% of the time. We use as big a hook as possible in every bait we use. Usually use a 5/o for anything over 5" and 3/o for 4" and below. They are cheap and really affective. I caught the fish on my Avatar on a MUP 5/o and hooker her right through the nose; she was going no where!! Those Gama hooks are great too but they are more expensive and IMO are no better; no worse though. If you have $$ to burn get the gama's, and send me a bag or two!LOL!

Also, I use a reel fine rasp to sharpen my MUP's. You can really tell a difference after a few fish or hook sets into trees. I dunno if this was one of the manufacturers bob was talking about but as long as you have a good knot and sharpen your hooks correctly, there is no reason to buy ton's of hooks. We usually only go through probably 40-50 hooks per year fishing 1-4 times a week during spring, summer and fall. Eventually they do wear out but normally we loose them in a tree before they get too dull to sharpen any more.

Sorry for the length,

Jolly
Old 02-03-07, 09:07 AM   #17
BPACA

I went through 400 hooks from August until now.....Brushpile fishin is not easy....yah usually loose 4 hooks a trip if yah are really getting down in them....and rocks suck....fishing from the bank costs money....I usually buy the value mustads like 7 bucks for 200 or something...
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-07, 09:39 AM   #18
JB

if ya go through that many hooks, ya need one of zookers plug knockers to free that hook off the brush, or pluck your line like a banjo and let it flip off by itself...all the plugknocker is....is a heavy bell sinker with a clasp attached to it, cost under a buck to make.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-07, 10:31 PM   #19
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Lizards, not to be at odds with you but....I just recently saw on TV where someone said the better hooks from brand name companies are not to be sharpened. The factory cut is destroyed when you attempt to sharpen them. Maybe it was just a ploy to sell more product. I usually replace hooks during the day. Someone always has a good deal on them or I find them in bargin bins. Like you I use different brands for different methods.

Bob

Go ahead be at odds with me rotfl I did mean after a few fish, or more than likely in my case a few trees, rocks, mudfish LOL. I have heard the same thing, and to be honest I lose hooks more than I sharpen them. I do believe you should sharpen them if they are dull. I don't care if the manufacturer says not to, who in their right mind wants to lose a fish because they used a dull hook. I also realize it may never be as sharp as it was out of the package, but it will be sharp enough to catch bass I spend a lot of money on hooks, probably a lot more than I should. But I think someone starting out doesn't need or want to buy the high end hooks, and replace them constantly. By sharpening them you will save some money. If it's dull but it's not bent out of shape I will sharpen it. I always sharpen my trebbles when needed. Even if the manufacturer told me I'd go blind if I did, I'd still do it, because I wouldn't believe them for a second Most folks can't/won't spend the money I do on fishing gear. So they should use all the stuff they have to the fullest amount IMO. Plus zooker won't ever lift my bag again as it is, why bring another 5 lbs of hooks too

Lizards
Old 02-03-07, 10:47 PM   #20
dampeoples

Hooks are cheap, easier for me to just toss them, tie another on and CATCH FISH
Old 02-05-07, 01:54 PM   #21
skeeter944

Amen sterling! If my hooks get dull,I pitch 'em in the trash!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 02:19 PM   #22
BassAddict

I use Mustad hooks mostly too. I use a heavier gauge hook because I'm mostly fishing heavy cover with heavy line. I used the Gammy's for a while and straightened a bunch of em out even on small fish. I'll use the Gammy Superline hooks some too. I've also started using the XPS wide gap hooks. They are a little less expensive and have done well for me so far.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 05:13 PM   #23
boater

RED RED RED RED any size or brand and any color as long as it is RED
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 05:16 PM   #24
jmh_ottawa
BassFishin.Com Member

Gamakatsu EWG's I've a lot of faith in these hooks as do many others ! They work out a little cheaper than owners but as with all hooks check that they are sharp frequently.
jmh_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 07:46 PM   #25
skeeter944

Welcome to the forum jmh!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.