Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-27-04, 05:21 AM   #1
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown
Default old baits still the best

It really is amazing now days to walk into a tackle store and look at the array of baits out their just for bass fishing. There are a million different types of baits for every fishing situation imaginable. I have to laugh at a lot of these baits though. Not because they won't catch fish, but because they are nothing but replicas of old time proven baits. Take the most talked about bait in recent months, or even years I guess, the senko. The senko is nothing but a beefed up version of the original floating worm, or the fluke, which is a more realistic version of the old slug-go. I watched a fishing show just today where the host was using a so called "new revelutionary bait that will draw bass like crazy", and that bait was a locust looking bait with a big lip on the front of it. This of course is nothing but a jitterbug with a different body. How many baits are there out today that walk the dog? Too many to count. The best will always be the Zara Spook. All the topwater poppers out there claim to be the best around, but what about the old Lucky 13. Their are also more lipless crankbaits out their than you can shake a stick at, but the original rat-l-trap is still at the top of its game. Even crankbaits are in this category. I still catch fish off of the original creek chub, lol. I guess what I am trying to say in my own long drawn out way is to embrace new ideas, but don't forget about the time proven baits that paved the way for everything thats out today. There aren't really any brand new baits out there. If there are they are few and far between. Anyway, good fishing to everyone, old or new.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-04, 06:56 AM   #2
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd
Default Re: old baits still the best

There are two old baits I haven't seen in ages; I don't think they make them anymore. They were both great baits. The Abrogast Arbo-Gaster, a deep diving metal lipped crankbait, and the Heddon River Runt Spook Floater. That bait looked so cool in the water you really didn't care if it caught a fish or not. It was just cool to fish with it.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-04, 07:06 AM   #3
mrcj1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mrcj1

Good post.
mrcj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-04, 02:52 PM   #4
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

The only problem is getting these baits. Personnaly, I have some old baits that I would rather not use for fear of loosing one.
I have alot of newer baits that are (or maybe) as good as the older ones.
Maybe it's that the older baits were first on the market to present the action that they did. Just the sentemental value isn't there.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-04, 07:50 PM   #5
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

My uncle from NE Ohio had literally a garage full of tackle boxes that he used on Lake Erie, after many years of following hinm around I finally received one of my own tackle boxes from him. To this day I will not use any of them in it. I have a jitterbug with a date of 1932 on it and a few others. Im hoping one day to build a shadow box with all these old time lures in it. Ive actually casted a few of them in an old pond just to see the action on them. Afraid to use them but the memories will last a lifetime. Hopefully Ill be able to post a few pictures of them in time. Some of you old timers might recognize a few.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.