Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-21-04, 08:25 AM   #1
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MarkR
Default Tournament question

We are currently in the middle of our spawning season and the fish are biting like crazy! Next week I’m fishing in a tournament and I need a few pointers, normally I do better in tournaments when the bite is going slow but I tend to struggle when the fishing is good for everyone.

So my question is how do you target the larger size bass that you don’t normally get? I’m asking this because it should be easy to get a limit but to get anywhere in a spawn tourney you definitely need a few kickers in your bag!!

It is basically a 30 mile long channel with any type of structure imaginable. The water is slightly stained brown (visibility about 1 yard into the water on a bright day). The fishing pressure on the water is quite heavy and there should be a lot of traffic on the water on the day of the tournament.

Thanks for the advice and tips!
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 09:03 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Tournament question

Since I'm not a tournament guy, take this for what it's worth. I would do your normal thing to get your limit, then I would probably try to sight fising for a couple of the Spawning bigguns. I would use a Lizard, or a Zipper worms. If the visibilty wouldn't allow for sight fishing, then I would try a PNJ to get some kickers in the Boat or even a Buzzbait. I know you haven't had much luck with the PNJ, but it is a good bait for some good sized fish. If you are staring in early low light conditions, the best bait for me recently(again a whole different scenario here than in S.A.) is a Jitterbug. I will cast it out in the flats, let it sit till the ripples go away, then twitch it and again wait for the ripples to go awy, then start a slow steady retrieve. If the fish aren't hitting it this way, then I just start switching up the presentation. I have caught probaly 8 bass in 3 mornings of fishing that were all over 3lbs, the biggest being 5lbs with this technique. Black is my preferred color, but yellow also worked for me. Hope some of this will help, but then again it may not. Good luck, and win the tournament.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 09:15 AM   #3
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks lizards, good advice!
Hope you don't mind some questions....
up to what time in the day do you use the topwater baits?
When you fish topwaters does the surface need to be flat or is it ok to do so even if it is a little choppy?

How deep is an ideal spawning spot and will you commonly get the females on the spots or a little deeper?
Old 09-21-04, 10:23 AM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i learned that it is a good time to use topwaters in the early mornings and late evenings hope that helps
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 11:01 AM   #5
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

First you need to get the Buck bass off the bedding area. This means secure your limit first, then try to pick up the Kicker Sows.After you get yor limit, throw either a lizard, or something in a bluegill pattern. The reason being, both are notorious nest robbers, and the sows will absolutly try to destroy them, IF you take the bucks out of the equasion.

I am not sure where you will be fishing, but here the bass generally spawn in water up to 6' deep, though it is usually shallower.And they are generally the same depth.

Here is a trivk to try if you use a lizard.

Rig it, put a little fish formula on it, and then put a small peice of alka Seltzer behind the head.Throw it out, and stop it right in the bed(if you can see it). LET IT SIT. the seltzer will dissolve, and give the effect it is breathing(natural apperance), while the FF stimulates their sense of smell. NOTE: When the bass hits, it will most likely only blow it out of the nest by sucking it in and spitting it out. You will only see a jump in your line. When you do, set the hook. The FF wil make her hold the bait just slightly longer than without.The bass may blow it out several times if you don't react with a hook set. If she does, keep throwing it back. You will agravate the bass into EATING the bait.

Again, though.You have to catch and keep the buck from each bed.

Another bait I use a lot when targeting big bass is a 9" or larger Worm.Great bait.

hope you win,

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 06:05 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=LOU link=board=news;num=1095765901;start=0#2 date=09/21/04 at 08:15:54]Thanks lizards, good advice!
Hope you don't mind some questions....
up to what time in the day do you use the topwater baits?[/quote]

I've caught fish all day long on topwater this year, however for me the best times are dark to 1 hour after sunrise, and 1 hour b4 dark up to all night long.

Quote:
When you fish topwaters does the surface need to be flat or is it ok to do so even if it is a little choppy?
Personally I don't care if it's flat or choppy, I prefer choppy for buzzbaits, but a jitterbug I will throw in any condition.

Quote:
How deep is an ideal spawning spot and will you commonly get the females on the spots or a little deeper?
Bassboss already answered that 6' or less, usually they are bedding in about 3'-4' where I fish. I would definately target the ones on the bed with a Lizard, never heard of the fizzing trick, but it sounds like it would work. And again I agree with Bassboss, if a bedding female takes it, odds are she is just going to spit it out away from the bed. So be ready to set the hook fast.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 07:15 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

bass boss is right on the catching of the buck bass. what he anit telling you is there is times that a hen-female- bass wont bite nothing. i found a huge hen on a big nest last april for over an hour sitting very silently while tring nearly every lure in my considerable collection. 2 weeks in a row i put a lure right in the nest. she still would not touch it.

oh yeah when i say huge i mean it she'd go 10 lbs easy.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-04, 03:02 AM   #8
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Great stuff guys!
This is the kind of advice I was looking for. Â*But still there’s more….

I have fished for a few years and on several occasions I have seen bass hanging out on the shallows but when and how do you know it is actually a nest? Â*

So then if I should actually see a nest according to you guys it might be worth it to actually hang around and keep fishing it even tough the bucks are removed?

Asking the questions I always wanted to ask
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Old 09-22-04, 03:48 AM   #9
socalbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to socalbasser

Quote:
One thing to take into consideration about the depth of spawning bass is how much the water level fluctuates at any given time. Is the water your fishing enclosed by dams that they regualrly open and close? What I'm trying to say basically is that if you have any major fluctuation in water level the fish could spawn as deep as 10', maybe even a little deeper.

Quote:
I have fished for a few years and on several occasions I have seen bass hanging out on the shallows but when and how do you no it is actually a nest?
It'll be an area, generally 2-4 ft in circumfrence, that has been cleared of any weeds, grass etc. to expose a somewhat gravelly bottom.

Hope this helps.

Skeeter
socalbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-04, 09:16 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

lou
this one is easy. the first full moon after water temp hits 65-68 degrees.
that is when they they spawn.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-04, 04:26 AM   #11
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

I did not know that!

So I recon I will be putting in some leave around full moon hey ;D
Old 09-23-04, 02:33 PM   #12

i tend to catch my bigger fish pitching a blue and black jig in the lilly pads. jig it about 3 or 4 times then move it to another gap in the pads. the bass will usually it on the first few jerks, so dont jig it in the same spot for a long time.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.