Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-01-12, 05:09 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Hot Water Strategy.........?

Local water temps hit 90 today for the first time this year. How do you guys approach that situation. I've started fishing mostly after dark, but sometimes my schedule won't allow it. Had some luck today with a DT 14/16. Input?
Old 07-01-12, 06:33 PM   #2
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i would think football jigs, and Dts, listened to some locals talking about the big ed2 shakeyhead jigs with 10+ inch worms. though i shore fish and stop around 11 am
Old 07-01-12, 06:47 PM   #3
lilmule

Shake your head call it a day after snapping a pic or two.

Heat index today was 123f
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 07:34 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Your first day in the 90's? WOW! We've had a ton of them already this year. I don't know what your local lakes are like. Ours has some deep water available and lots of weed growth. In the mornings before sunrise, I fish it just like any other day. The bass are on the prowl. But once the sun rises above the trees, I go one of two ways. I'll start hitting the pads with a frog or pitching a creature bait, or I will head to deeper water where the weeds are growing in 10-15 foot depths and start pitching a t-rigged plastic into the weed pockets. About 90% of the time, I find them in the deeper weedbeds and not in the shallow pads. As fall approaches, I will find them back in the pads again. However, I will say that I have found bass chasing schools of shad even on the hottest days in my local lake. When thats going on, they can be anywhere. The naturally formed lake is only 85 acres, so with blowups happening here and there it's a matter of a waitting game as the bass and shad could be anywhere.
Old 07-01-12, 08:54 PM   #5
lilmule

He said water temp 90s not air temp,hes sc so had a few 100 plus days
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 11:09 PM   #6
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
He said water temp 90s not air temp,hes sc so had a few 100 plus days
Ahhhh, my bad. I miss read that. Sorry. That IS warm water! Whew
Old 07-01-12, 11:14 PM   #7
bamabassman

i too would like to know an answer to this. went to guntersville yesterday and the water temp was 90 degrees. got 1 stripe and 1 spot that were chasing the shad. then i went UP creek to water that was 3 ft deep and got 2 more largemouths, yes they were dinks, but wonderedif someone knew some techs on how to get a few good ones. i know iwas too shallow, but wondered what other folks do.
the air temp was 106. water temp went from 85 to 90 in a few hrs. all i can think of is finding a drop off and dragging the ball n chain or maybe a shaky head. flukes and the a-rig work on the shad frenxy. but i wanted to catch some that weren't chasing the shad.
Old 07-01-12, 11:28 PM   #8
Bassboss

Hmmm... this thread has just inspired me go night fishing. It's been unusually hot here. In the 90s frequently, and suppose to be 95 Tuesday. I need to go back to Florida to get used to the real heat again. haha

Gonna definitely throw some spinnerbaits and big 'ol worms though. Soak em up with some Jacks Juice and hope for the best. Full moon's coming too.
Old 07-01-12, 11:30 PM   #9
bamabassman

boss...you are JSUT the person whom might be of some help bud. what did ya'll do down in florida during this time of year? did you sling the big worm and spinnerbaits and how deep did you fish em?
Old 07-02-12, 07:02 AM   #10
keithdog

Now I don't have any real history of fishing a reservoir other than last years outting at Wheeler, but I'm thinking in hot weather, one needs to try to find moving water. Moving water will be a bit cooler and have a higher oxygen content. How about fishing near the dam if there is one. If not, is there an inflowing stream?
Old 07-02-12, 07:32 PM   #11
nobass

bama you got to go deep. during the day legdges and drop offs. or night fishing still do ledeges and drops. i like a 3/4oz black and blue jig with a BIG OLD CHUNK OF PLASTIC ON IT . the bigger the better. works good on ky lake. but when temps get in high 90 and 100 i like and arm chair and a cold beer or pop and frozen reese
Old 07-02-12, 09:50 PM   #12
kennethdaysale

Pretty much what I thought. Over the years Dog Days have usually meant night fishing for me, either buzzbaits or low and slow with big plastics or jigs. My recent attempts to work deep cranks at a pretty good pace at night have been interesting though.
Old 07-02-12, 10:00 PM   #13
flfireman

Im not sure where to go with this one. I dont have the luxury of deep water. Early mornings Im casting shallow or throwing frogs in pads. Will throw the same as sun gets higher, but will also throw a 7.5 worm or smaller swim bait and work it slower. Was still pulling decent bass at 2-3 in the afternoon and we had water temps pushing 90 and heat pushing 94+. Dont really do the night thing here, floating logs with teeth are very curious and the slithery things with teeth and me just dont play well together.
Old 07-02-12, 11:27 PM   #14
bamabassman

that's what i wanted to read. thanks hoseman!!!!

and them "floating logs"....well they do make some awesum boots, lol.
Old 07-03-12, 04:27 AM   #15
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Local water temps hit 90 today for the first time this year. How do you guys approach that situation. I've started fishing mostly after dark, but sometimes my schedule won't allow it. Had some luck today with a DT 14/16. Input?
here in the ozarks, the surface temp is also 90. there are some that are still fishing during the day. spoons in deeper boat dock slips are working, 30 ft. deep seems to be the best depth. long points with a drop off, again 25 to 35 feet deep. as for me, i go fishing at night. right now the bass are coming up just a bit shallower at night, 20 to 25. a variety of baits will work. a 5 inch senko with about 3/8 oz. of weight has been working. many bass are suspending out in the channel at night here right now. the ones that you can find layed down on something all seem to be back in coves in hardwoods. just got back in at 3am, and we had 6 keepers from 2 1/2 to 6 1/2 pounds.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 11:31 PM   #16
MO_CPA

X2 of what Merc said. This weekend I was sitting in about 80 foot of water spooning (solid painted white) for bass (among other things) that were 20-30+ feet of water. Ended up with white bass, largemouth, and a rainbow trout...lol. Gotta love the Ozarks!
Old 07-04-12, 12:23 PM   #17
skeeter1804

I fished a tournament on Lake of the Ozarks this past weekend. I finished 5th using buzzbaits in really shallow water and then working docks in the 5-7 foot range. I never caught a fish deeper than 10 feet. The water temp was 85-86 degrees. never saw any water warmer than that. I caught fish all day long, probably 30-40 fish per day.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.