Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-17-06, 07:44 PM   #1
bassin4ever
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassin4ever
Default Flipping setups??

hey i was just wondering what you all use for a flipping setup, like the type of reel, rod and line?
bassin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 07:53 PM   #2
flippin4bass
BassFishin.Com Member

i use a daiwa procaster with 17lb stren on it and a mediumheavy or heavy rod
flippin4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 08:09 PM   #3
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The slower speed reels tend to have more power, but I like at least 6.1:1. The rod should be MH to H, as flippin4bass says. I'm kinda' short so 6'6" is the length I like. Alot of pros use 7' to 7'6" rods. I guess it depends on your height and the gunwale on your boat. Just so it swings low but not hitting the water. I use 40-65 lb. Stren Super Braid so I can saw through the vegetation easily.
Old 01-17-06, 08:21 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i use 2 differant set ups as most of my fishing is pitching. i went with a 7 foot mh rod with a super fast tip. paired that with a left handed pfluger trion reel-bassmaster's edition- 6.1 gears. i use envy green 12 pound ande mono-envy is very easy to see.
and a 7'6'' x-heavy flipping stick which has a 6.1 geared quatum 441 pitchin reel. loaded with 20 pound calcutta ultra braid.

my pitchin stick is a fenwick techna av and the xheavy is a fenwick hmx.

zooker
Old 01-17-06, 09:41 PM   #5
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

7' 2'' shimano heavy rod and the bps mega cast lp reel

the rod worth 3 times as much as the reel
Old 01-17-06, 10:26 PM   #6
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin4ever
hey i was just wondering what you all use for a flipping setup, like the type of reel, rod and line?
Shimano Castaic, designed for flip/pitch. I like a heavy rod, because I get into heavy cover, and I like My 7' rod better than my 7'6" rod due to length. A good point was brought up by the room you have. On my boat my 7'6" is just too long, since I there is no casting deck. But on a fiberglass bass boat it works fine for me. Line is of course PowerPro braid, or any other braid you like, but I also like Fireline(Fused), They both cut through the weeds well. Any decent reel or rod will work. I really like the thumb bar switch on the Castaic, but a flipping/pitching switch is definately a plus.

Lizards
Old 01-17-06, 10:31 PM   #7
WTL

Pinnacle Tara, matched on a BPS Bionic whatever flippin stick and with 20 pound powerpro. I could do better than this setup though. The line and the reel are mostly fine, but the rods a bit heavier than I'd prefer.
Old 01-17-06, 10:33 PM   #8
bassinbob

I use a St. Croix 7ft. H rod and a Curado spooled with 50lb. Power Pro. I also use a 7ft. St Croix MH with a Curado spooled with 30lb. Spiderwire. I might be using too heavy of a line on both but it's what I have for now.

Bob
Old 01-17-06, 10:52 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob
I use a St. Croix 7ft. H rod and a Curado spooled with 50lb. Power Pro. I also use a 7ft. St Croix MH with a Curado spooled with 30lb. Spiderwire. I might be using too heavy of a line on both but it's what I have for now.

Bob
I don't think that line is too heavy at all. Plus the diameter of the 50lb is the same as 12lb mono if I'm not mistaken. I do like the rods though LOL

Lizards
Old 01-17-06, 11:34 PM   #10
fishn'fool
BassFishin.Com Member

I have an Accurist Pt on a 7.5' MH Bass Master Rod with 20 pound line, does the job and then some!
Old 01-18-06, 12:10 AM   #11
Rebbasser

My setup is a Pinnacle Tara reel, Fenwick Techna AV flipping rod and 50 lb PowerPro.
Old 01-18-06, 09:08 AM   #12
JB

My flippin stick is a All Star 6-6mH with a Citica, 17 lb low vis
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-06, 01:48 PM   #13
basser087
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a 6-6 MH G.Loomis GL2 with a high speed reel and 20 lb Gamma line. I use the high speed reel because if you're flippin' heavy cover you need to get that fish out as soon as you set the hook so you don't get hung up in whatever cover you're fishing. Also, try using the new Jig X from Vertical Lures sweet deal.
basser087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-06, 07:53 PM   #14
WIbassfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

For pitching I use a Quantum Acurist with a flippin' switch spooled up with whatever conditions and water clarity and cover dictates. Sometimes it's 15lb flurocarbon, other times it's 50-65 lb power pro. I've even pitched 25lb mono XT. The rod is a St. Croix 6'-10 Heavy action with a fast tip. Looking to get into a 7'6" "pool cue" for flippin' next year as our circuit is going to have a ton of tournies where docks and pads are going to be key areas.
WIbassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-06, 08:29 PM   #15
basstech

I don't hardly ever flip. The lakes I fish generally don't call for that tactic and I personally don't like getting on top of fish that close that I would be able to flip to them. Now pitching on the other hand I do quite a bit of and use the same rod I use for casting jig-n-pig or t-rig plasstics with 3/16 oz. weight or greater than which is a 6'6" Mh fast action graphite rod. The reel has a 5:1 gear ratio/21" line pickup per full handle revolution (when the spool is full, and ussually isn't). I only have one reel that is that is higher speed out of like 14 or so. Normally have 14lb. test. when the water is warm, 10 or 12 lb. when the water is cool. I ussually don't go higher than 17lb. and only use line that heavy when I'm fishing Truman Resivoir. Always a co-polymer or monofilament line.
Ok, since everyone is name dropping I'll do mine too. Gl3 783/ shimano calcuta. or citica

Last edited by basstech; 01-18-06 at 08:36 PM.
basstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 08:22 AM   #16
1FASTLASER

Someone on here got me to buy a Castaic reel for flippin and pitchin and I gotta admit that it WORKS. Right LIZZY. The rod is ......you guessed it
AIRRUS 7' Heavy when iin the nasty stuff and med heavy when it thins out.
Old 01-19-06, 10:06 PM   #17
Bassboogieman

Rod: Kistler Helium LTA (HE70HC) 7'-0" Heavy
Reel: Shimano Scorpion Quickfire (Japaneese version of Castaic)
Line: 17# Transition Fluro clear water, 20# Ironsilk stained water.
Old 01-20-06, 04:26 AM   #18
lonestarboater

Send a message via AIM to lonestarboater Send a message via Yahoo to lonestarboater

BPS 6' 6" MH rod
BPS Pro Series 10 bearing reel
spooled with 50 LB. power pro
Old 01-20-06, 05:36 PM   #19
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Someone on here got me to buy a Castaic reel for flippin and pitchin and I gotta admit that it WORKS. Right LIZZY. The rod is ......you guessed it
AIRRUS 7' Heavy when iin the nasty stuff and med heavy when it thins out.
Glad you like it, I only reccomend stuff I use

Lizards
Old 01-20-06, 06:07 PM   #20
pig n jig

Well Lizards could have posted the thread for me. Castaway Bud Pruitt series flipping sticks with a Quantum accurast PT on one and a Team DaiwaTD-1 tournament reel on the other. I use 30 lb tuf- Line XP braid.The accurast PT is something I picked up on a deal, it works well for flipping. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 06:35 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

PNJ

How does the Airrus compare to the Bud's rod. Always willing to try a new series of rods. You know the saying....someone is always building a better mouse trap or bass rod but they gonna have to be SUPERIOR to change my mind on Airrus rods. By the way what action did you get.

Lizzy

My wife does not like you right now.LOL ordered 2 more castaic's for the other pitchin sticks I have. (She dont know that those have been ordered as well) LOL. She has no clue whats new and whats not. LMAO. If ahe ever takes a good look I am gonna have to move. Anyone got a couch I can borrow.
Old 01-21-06, 08:33 PM   #22
pig n jig

Laser, I didn't order the airrus yet.I will be ordering it this week or next.I will let you know when I get it and compare the 2. I will tell you , I haven't found anything that I like better yet.I tried a regular Kistler flipping stick last summer, sold it 2 months later.I sold a Bud Pruitt here last year. Haynesn bought it but, I am not sure if he liked it, I don't see him post much . P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-06, 09:36 PM   #23
zooker

had a chance to handle a kistler helium today a 7'6'' x-heavy. though imo it had a junk reel on it -shimano- balanced was ok a tad bit heavier than the 7'6'' fenwick x-heavy i own. still had a tad larger handle than i really would choose to have. still nice rod.
bout had to pry my techna av rod out of my partners hand. i think i have a new convert. wanted to trade me a g-stick for it. ehh it had a diawa pro team reel but no thanks..i like my techna av more than that g-stick for sure..

zooker
Old 01-21-06, 10:56 PM   #24
Fishie

I take a old broom stick about 8 feet long and make some guides on it and duck tape a big saltwater reel on it and then proceed to fish with a two once jig and man I sure can pull out some monsters wit that one.

Realistically I use a Pro Qualifier 6 foot 6inch rod and reel. 14lb line.
Old 01-23-06, 07:05 PM   #25
bassnman30

A Team Diawa (light & tough) 7 1/2 with a mh action. Was using an All-Star 7 1/2 which to me was like a broom handle with guides.The Diawa has a slower tip with alot of back bone.
As for reels, I like a Quantum Energy 6:1 (the 2005 model). This helps with getting the bait back quickly, and hitting a new spot.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.