Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-06-06, 10:22 PM   #1
bassin_in_indiana
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Zoom Super Fluke

I just joined because I had seen that this forum was pretty active here. I just had a question about the Zoom super fluke, and was wondering if anyone here had used them. I had caught some nice bass on a 10 in YUM Black Neon ribbontail worm last yr, so thats all Ive really been using. Ive heard some really good things about the super flukes from Zoom so I had bought some the other day and wasnt really sure how to rig them up. I was using a watermelon color on a 4/0 hook with a bullet weight and didnt even get a bite. So I was just wondering if anyone here has used them and how you had them rigged up. Thanks for the input.
bassin_in_indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 10:32 PM   #2
fluke
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey,a good way to rig is with a 2/0 & 3/0 hook.i usually fish mine weightless cause i have alot of weed beds where i fish,but if you want to go deeper rig it with a weighted hook.How you rig it is also going to decide the action.So experiment a little,the fluke is also an excellent bait for skipping under docks and low hanging branches.It's also good for fishing along down trees that are up shallow.I mostly use spinning tackle when fishing flukes 7'med to medhvy and 8 to 10# test.good luck
Old 07-07-06, 11:46 AM   #3
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am pretty new to using soft plastics. I always used other baits.

I myself have got more response on unweighted. Probably due to it being mroe natural.

Last edited by Snake2715; 07-07-06 at 01:37 PM.
Snake2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-06, 01:13 PM   #4
bassfisherman32
BassFishin.Com Member

Default super fluke

ive had a lot of success with a super fluke. use a 2/0 or a 3/0 hook but use it weightless.throw it out there let it sit for about 6 seconds. then barelly jerk it about 3-4 times. then let it sink for about a nother 3 seconds. heres a good tip that ive learned.if u see a group of small minnows then cast close to them and usually if theres bigger bass watching the minnows than they will bit urs. when ur letting the lure sink, watch ur line and see if it jerks and take off. if it does then jerk!!!

good luk hope i helped.
bassfisherman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-06, 02:32 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

Lose the bullet weight-these are designed to be fished weightless-otherwise you have it rigged right. Cast it out and let it settle, then work it with twitches of the rod tip.
Old 07-07-06, 02:35 PM   #6
Man?orAstroman?
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin_in_indiana
I just joined because I had seen that this forum was pretty active here. I just had a question about the Zoom super fluke, and was wondering if anyone here had used them. I had caught some nice bass on a 10 in YUM Black Neon ribbontail worm last yr, so thats all Ive really been using. Ive heard some really good things about the super flukes from Zoom so I had bought some the other day and wasnt really sure how to rig them up. I was using a watermelon color on a 4/0 hook with a bullet weight and didnt even get a bite. So I was just wondering if anyone here has used them and how you had them rigged up. Thanks for the input.
First off, color is important. Diffrent colors work in diffrent areas/conditions. I use Albino, Pearl, and Mortor Oil. I rig mine Texas style with NO WEIGHT, the lure itself is heavy enough . I jerk mine up, then let it fall. I have gotten a lot of hits/fish on but have yet to land one. I'm assuming I don't set the hook right.
Man?orAstroman? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-06, 03:00 PM   #7
mymomisbecky

I too love these things... I am getting a 4" fluke mold (and a kicker tail frog mold, and a 10 inch power worm mold in the mail soon) and I cant wait to get those out there for my customers...
My favorite way to fish these is weed mats/beds. cast it out, drag it across the top, and as you come to an opening in the weeds, let it fall. Dynamite method for fishing the fluke.
You do have to match the color of the forage though. I fish it in a couple lakes around here, shad lakes. So i go with the pearl color. If im fishing in a body of water without shad, a lot of times ill go with watermelon or some darker shade to try to match the baitfish there.
Experiment with it. Enjoy
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-06, 03:36 PM   #8
BassMaster101190
BassFishin.Com Member

I live on the border of Illinois and Indiana just wonderin some good places to fish in Indiana.
BassMaster101190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-06, 04:15 PM   #9
bassin_in_indiana
BassFishin.Com Member

Just responding to your question bassmaster, really I couldn't tell you the best place to fish for bass in indiana. There are alot of state lakes and reservoirs that have produced alot of good looking bass for me. I've fished in Monroe Lake, Brookville Lake, and this little lake close to central Inadiana called Mt. Summit. I know Ive named alot of places but I cant really zone one out from the other because I like to fish them all. Hope Ive been of some help.
Old 07-07-06, 08:37 PM   #10
lizardsrule

Flukes in General are great baits. However I disagree with the folks saying for you to use a 2/0 or 3/0 hook. I use a 5/0 Texposer Hook. I use at least a Medium Heavy rod, and braid. Flukes are notorious for poor hooksets, so use a good rod/line/hook to increase your percentages. And don't forget to cross their eyes on the hookset. The Fluke works all the way from deadsticking to litterally walking it on the top of the water(my favorite way). The color I use more than anything else, fishing from Lake Erie to Florida is Alewife(Shad color). These have baits have caugth me a ton of fish(Fin-S Fish is my brand), and some of my biggest fish have come on flukes(see Q2 Big Bass thread). You can work them like a frog on top of mats, and get the same hits, with better hookups. You can let them fall at the edge, or holes and catch some. My favorite way is to find some sporadic top vegetation, and twitch them quickly right at top, and over and around the vegetation. They are also a good bait for dropshotting(smaller ones, fluke jr's) or carolina rigging. Some want me to change my name to flukesrule ROTFL. It's a great bait, and will catch fish when other things won't.

Lizards
Old 07-07-06, 11:21 PM   #11
bassin_in_indiana
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
Flukes in General are great baits. However I disagree with the folks saying for you to use a 2/0 or 3/0 hook. I use a 5/0 Texposer Hook. I use at least a Medium Heavy rod, and braid. Flukes are notorious for poor hooksets, so use a good rod/line/hook to increase your percentages. And don't forget to cross their eyes on the hookset. The Fluke works all the way from deadsticking to litterally walking it on the top of the water(my favorite way). The color I use more than anything else, fishing from Lake Erie to Florida is Alewife(Shad color). These have baits have caugth me a ton of fish(Fin-S Fish is my brand), and some of my biggest fish have come on flukes(see Q2 Big Bass thread). You can work them like a frog on top of mats, and get the same hits, with better hookups. You can let them fall at the edge, or holes and catch some. My favorite way is to find some sporadic top vegetation, and twitch them quickly right at top, and over and around the vegetation. They are also a good bait for dropshotting(smaller ones, fluke jr's) or carolina rigging. Some want me to change my name to flukesrule ROTFL. It's a great bait, and will catch fish when other things won't.

Lizards
This may be a stupid question, but what exactly does "dont forget to cross thier eyes" mean. Im not being sarcastic, lol, I really dont know. And also I bought the albino and watermelon seed super flukes which color have you had better luck on?
Old 07-08-06, 08:42 AM   #12
lizardsrule

Albino would be my choice of those 2 colors. And cross their eyes=Strong/Hard hookset so their eyes are crossed you nailed em so good. BTW, I'm a ex Hoosier(Purdue fan actually) from the frozen state of Indiana. Found my new home down south where the water never gets hard, and I can always fish.

Lizards
Old 07-11-06, 03:58 AM   #13
michiganbassassasin
BassFishin.Com Member

ive fished the flukes in lower michigan and i agree go weightless. for clear water use the darker natural colors and in dark water brighter works better most of the time. also try the wave worm in a weightless texas rig they have a great lifelike action if you rig them right they make a wave motion as they fall and they smell like black licorice the bass tear them up.
michiganbassassasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 09:08 AM   #14
CreekGeek22

Yeah, Lizards is now an ex-Hoosier. I think the sun gets to his head a lot so don't mind his terminology...LOL. Where you located at Bassin?

The flukes are great in my opinion. As Reb said, lose the weight it kills the action. Throw it out weightless and let it do what it's designed to do, mimick a dying baitfish. Give it a few light twitches and watch your line. I like using Fireline with them, it stays on top of the water better and helps with signaling the bite. Good luck!
CreekGeek22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 03:37 PM   #15
Lanier
BassFishin.Com Member

Hello all. Ive been looking around on the net all day trying to figure out the proper way to hook this worm. Should the point of the hook come out the top of the fluke or the bottom where the slit is? Thanks in advance.
Lanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 04:19 PM   #16
Lanier
BassFishin.Com Member

Finally found a picture. Is this how you guys do it?

Lanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 06:26 PM   #17
weaverml34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanier View Post
Finally found a picture. Is this how you guys do it?

Lanier that's just about right. What you want to do is bring the hook point all the way through to the top of the fluke. If you fishing cover just barely push the tip of the hook back into the top of the fluke, also commonly referred to as "skin hook".
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 10:38 PM   #18
keithdog

A neat little trick I learned is to rig your bait so that the nose of the fluke is pushed foreward onto the hook to where the eye of the hook is actually inside the bait. Done properly, it will give the nose of your fluke an upturned shape. What this will do is allow the fluke to easily jump from the water when retrieved with quick twitches of the rod tip. It looks like a minnow trying to escape a preditor. I first did this little trick by accident and was very surprised at how it drove the bass wild.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 10:46 PM   #19
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

How do you decide whether to throw a soft jerkbait (fluke) or a hard jerkbait? In previous years I had decent luck on a Bass Assassin fluke, but this year I have not used them, only Pointers and Rogues so far. Do you change with the water temp, or time of year? They have a similar presentation, only a different action.

P.S. Did anybody see that show last week where the guy had 3 flukes hooked together? These were on trailer hooks, not on 3-way swivels. I think it was Shaw Grigsby fishing for stripers.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 11:28 PM   #20
basschamp4

hey weaverml34 im from indy also

where do you like to fish (that's close)
i just have trouble finding anything that produces that great
basschamp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 05:25 PM   #21
Bass'n'cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMaster101190 View Post
I live on the border of Illinois and Indiana just wonderin some good places to fish in Indiana.
to answer your question i would say the pokagon state park on lake james and snow lake there's a bunch of great places and if you live down near the southern part of ill/ ind. border then patoka state park is a good place to. and big fish lake near michigan. hope that helped.
Bass'n'cast is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.