Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-23-10, 02:26 PM   #1
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 140.00 casting combo??

Well I was real skeptical. I was looking at the Cabela's website and saw the Prodigy/ Fish Eagle casting combo for 139.99. I read the reviews that
were very positive. I'm normally cautious reading reviews as they are placed by experienced and newer fisherman. Decided to buy the combo with the 7' medium heavy rod. I observed upon opening the package that this combo, made by Diawa for Cabela's had above average quality. I loaded it up with 20 lb braid and took it to the yard with a plug. Set up was easy. The drag seemed very good for a reel in this price range. I set the magnetic cast contol to about five, put on a 3/8 oz casting plug, adjusted the tension and let it rip. Very nice! I casted around 50 times without a hint of the birds. The reel has six bearings and a roller bearing, very smooth. The rod is of good quality, good action and back bone. Reel seat, Fuji guides, and a good cork handle. I was skeptical and surprised. Took it to the lake on father's day and landed 11 bass in a couple hours.
Bass averaged about 2 lbs, nothing big, but loads of fun. If you need a good back up outfit, or heck, a decent combo period, take a look at the Cabela's( Diawa) Prodigy, Prc200 A/ Fish Eagle 11 casting combo, still
139.95. They also have the reel with Magna touch, and Prodigy rod for a upgrade price. You never know what goodies you can find on the websites. Gets me in trouble with mama all the time! sleeping on the boat has some advantages.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 02:45 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sweet!! Glade you like your new combo man!

I've heard pretty good stuff about the reel before!
Old 06-23-10, 09:18 PM   #3
Rebbasser

That's a good combo for the price. Haven't fished the rod but have handled them and they have a good feel. I have a prodigy baitcaster and it is a really good reel. I like daiwa reels so knew it would be good quality. You done good!
Old 06-23-10, 10:00 PM   #4
keithdog

I have 2 Prodigy reels. You got an excellent deal my friend. Enjoy your toys as I know you will.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 09:19 AM   #5
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Those brakes on em are pretty amazing
Old 06-26-10, 05:13 PM   #6
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Right on! I have a mag touch myself. Many times house brands can be had for very good prices.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.