Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-05, 12:00 AM   #1
nb122679
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1st tournament next Saturday.

Â* Â* Well, Â*it is about time. Â*I don't think I could go much longer. Â*I just can't wait. Â*I have no idea how I will do, but I will be fishing. Â*For those who are familiar with the central Virginia area, the tournament will be on the Chickahominy River(Launch from Powhatan Resort). Â*Any tips would be appreciated.

Â* Â* The water temp will probably be in the mid to upper 40's, unless a heat wave comes in. Â*This is a tidal river, water clarity (stained) unless it rains a bit before then, then it might be muddy. Â*I am probably taking 5 rods, but I don't know what I am going to have tied on yet. Â*I know a crank bait will probably be on one, but as for the rest, I haven't decided yet. Â*Any suggestion? Â*I was think may be a t-rig or maybe a c-rig on one of the other rods also. Â*

Â* Â* I put new string on three of my reels today. Â*I have a few more to redo before Saturday. Â*I put Fireline on 2 of them and Ironsilk on the other one. Â* The fireline was just a recent decision after hearing Lizardsrule and a couple of other talking Â*about it on here.

Â* Â* Any suggestion on what to maybe try would be a big help. Â*Thank you in advance.

Kevin
nb122679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 12:10 AM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: 1st tournament next Saturday.

Kev-lose the Iron Silk. It breaks if you look at it wrong. I love the way it handles but if you can't get fish in the boat it does not do you much good. Worst line I ever tried. The fact they were selling it for $1.50 ought to tell you something.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 12:16 AM   #3
nb122679
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok Reb, Thank you for the tip. Now that you say that, I think I read where some people here was talking about that. I only put it on one reel. Maybe I will leave that one at home.
Old 03-13-05, 12:21 AM   #4
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=kshort29 link=board=MessBoards;num=1110682843;start=0#2 date=03/12/05 at 22:16:18]Ok Reb, Â*Thank you for the tip. Â*Now that you say that, I think I read where some people here was talking about that. Â*I only put it on one reel. Â*Maybe I will leave that one at home. Â*[/quote]

Just change it out with some PowerPro and your worries will be over. I agree. Iron Silk is the worst line ever made. Even worse than stren, if possible.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 01:23 AM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=kshort29 link=board=MessBoards;num=1110682843;start=0#0 date=03/12/05 at 22:00:43]
Well, it is about time. I don't think I could go much longer. I just can't wait. I have no idea how I will do, but I will be fishing. For those who are familiar with the central Virginia area, the tournament will be on the Chickahominy River(Launch from Powhatan Resort). Any tips would be appreciated.

The water temp will probably be in the mid to upper 40's, unless a heat wave comes in. This is a tidal river, water clarity (stained) unless it rains a bit before then, then it might be muddy. I am probably taking 5 rods, but I don't know what I am going to have tied on yet. I know a crank bait will probably be on one, but as for the rest, I haven't decided yet. Any suggestion? I was think may be a t-rig or maybe a c-rig on one of the other rods also.

I put new string on three of my reels today. I have a few more to redo before Saturday. I put Fireline on 2 of them and Ironsilk on the other one. The fireline was just a recent decision after hearing Lizardsrule and a couple of other talking about it on here.

Any suggestion on what to maybe try would be a big help. Thank you in advance.

Kevin[/quote]

Well go get em tiger. I really think you'll like the Fireline. Have you ever fished with Braid or Fused Line before? If you haven't it does take it a little of time to break in really well. So practice casting before the tourney if possible to loosen it up some. As for what to throw, sorry but I don't have any tidal waters around so I would be lost. Cajun would probably be your best source of info there. Just don't tell him your using anything other than MONO Have fun first and foremost, and then the winning will come.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 11:13 AM   #6
nb122679
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards,

Last year, I had that spiderwire braid on one of my reels. It was ok. I didn't use that one very much. I didn't like it that much. The fireline feels different that that stuff, well to me it does. I am sure I will have fun, I will be happy to just be fishing.
Old 03-13-05, 08:18 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=kshort29 link=board=MessBoards;num=1110682843;start=0#5 date=03/13/05 at 09:13:53]Lizards,

Last year, I had that spiderwire braid on one of my reels. It was ok. I didn't use that one very much. I didn't like it that much. The fireline feels different that that stuff, well to me it does. I am sure I will have fun, I will be happy to just be fishing.[/quote]

It does because it is Braid is well Braid. Fireline is a FUSED line, which is a different manufacturing process. zooker has made mention a couple of times about it slicing his fingers It will also cut through vegetation just as well It really is MY Favorite line ;D I personally use the 20lb mostly, but jump up to 30lb occasionally. Haven't hooked into the log yet that will break it :-[ Unless of you course you don't use the proper maintenance with it. WHich you will need to replace the last 10 feet or so, every so often, just depends on how much you're using it. As you can also attest to now, it's not cheap, so I always use cheap mono as backer line on it.

Lizards
Old 03-13-05, 08:24 PM   #8
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

KShort, I have had bad experience with a spool of Iron silk breaking off and I quit using it for a while, but I went back and bought it again last fall and had good luck with it.I am not sure if they fixed the problem or what ,but I like the line alot. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 12:08 AM   #9
nb122679
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey everyone,

Tomorrow is the tournament day. I am excited, I guess that is why I am not asleep yet. I have been trying to figure out what to rig on my rods, and I think I might have made up my mind. Here is what I am thinking. I am taking 5 rods.

2 rods rigged with crankbaits. Haven't really decided what colors yet.
1 rod rigged with a spinnerbait
1 texas rig
Well I can't make up my mind on the last one, but I am open for suggestions. The water temp will pobably be in the upper 40's. The water clarity probably stained. It is suppose to be partly cloudy with rain tomorrow evening, hopefully after the weigh-in. We launch at 7am. The air temp is low 44/high low to mid 60's. Any tips or pointers! Thank you in advance.
Old 03-19-05, 12:18 AM   #10
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

For the fifth rod try a jig head and yami creature bait. Good luck tomorrow.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 12:24 AM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=kshort29 link=board=MessBoards;num=1110682843;start=0#8 date=03/18/05 at 22:08:39]Hey everyone,

Tomorrow is the tournament day. I am excited, I guess that is why I am not asleep yet. I have been trying to figure out what to rig on my rods, and I think I might have made up my mind. Here is what I am thinking. I am taking 5 rods.

2 rods rigged with crankbaits. Haven't really decided what colors yet.
1 rod rigged with a spinnerbait
1 texas rig
Well I can't make up my mind on the last one, but I am open for suggestions. The water temp will pobably be in the upper 40's. The water clarity probably stained. It is suppose to be partly cloudy with rain tomorrow evening, hopefully after the weigh-in. We launch at 7am. The air temp is low 44/high low to mid 60's. Any tips or pointers! Thank you in advance.[/quote]

C-rig it or weightless plastics for slow presentations.

Lizards
Old 03-19-05, 12:35 AM   #12
morrow50
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to morrow50

I live in the central Va area and talked to people from Ed Allens and they said the water is about 43 degrees warming throughout the day. So areas can be found with 48 degree water. Folks fishing my home river (James River) have been having mixed results. Jigs and Crankbaits have seen the majority of the success in our area thus far. Good Luck tomorrow!

Mike
morrow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-05, 10:37 AM   #13
javelinguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to javelinguy

Probably left for the tourney already, but with those water temps and conditions I'd concentrate on the lowest point of low tide. Fish (if you find them) are grouped up a lot more due to the fallen water. At this time if you're not catching be paying attention shallow cover that becomes revealed as the water level drops so you can attack at a higher point in the day.

For baits:
Crankbait or C-Rig (more for feeling the structure and bottom contact--sort of a transmission bait--underwater eyes).

Jig and Trailer for bulky slow presentation.

Tubes or Senkos in the current breaks

Chart. 3/8 oz tandem spinner bait (blades based on sky conditions) to fish around laydowns into the river.
javelinguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.