Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-10-06, 07:15 PM   #1
shwagy357
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trolling Motor Selection

I am getting ready to purchase a 16' Lowe Roughneck jon boat with a 20" transom height. I am planning on putting a bow mounted trolling motor on the front. Right now I am trying to decide between the minn kota edge 40 and a motor guide trolling motor both are about the same price. Right now I am leaning towards the minn kota because I have read some bad things about the gator flex mount on the motor guide. I would appreciate it if you guys could give some advice or any first hand experience you may have with any of these motors before I make this investment. Oh yea how long of a shaft should I get? or does it matter that much. Thanks!
shwagy357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 07:18 PM   #2
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Our old boat had a minn-kota, and we never had any trouble with it. Some people aren't fond of 'em for one reason or another, but that's how most things go... Sounds like a sweet little boat you're getting. What type of big motor are you puttin' on?
Old 08-10-06, 07:22 PM   #3
shwagy357
BassFishin.Com Member

1980 Johnson 35 HP
shwagy357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 09:21 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ford VS Chevy argument LOL. I have owned both, and think both companies make a decent product. Minn Kota appears to be quieter, but both work, especially at that size. I do wish that someone would come in and give these guys some competition. Just helps get better quality and features from everyone. Good luck with the boat, sounds like a nice deal.

Lizards
Old 08-10-06, 09:42 PM   #5
keithdog

I agree Lizards, I too have had both. Right now I have a Motor Guide 54 pound thrust and it is very quiet and does the job superbly. My last motor was a Minn Kota. It too was a good motor. The only complaint I had was that it was too small for my present needs. It had nothing to do with quality. The main reason I chose the Motor Guide was because a professional guide I know has a Motor Guide on his boat and he loves it. So really, either way I don't think you can go wrong with either one Shwagy, just follow your gut instincts, pick the features that are important to you and either way I'm sure you will be quite happy.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 11:07 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Same here-Ford or Chevy. I've got a Motorguide but Minnkota make a good product as well.

If I had to do it over again I think I'd get a variable speed rather than a 5-speed. The difference is the 5-speed is just that-5 speeds. The variable lets you adjust to match the conditions. For example, there have been times when speed 2 is too slow and 3 is too fast. With a variable speed I could dial it up or down depending on the conditions. That said, it really isn't that big of a deal unless you are trying to hold the boat in a certain spot in wind or current.
Old 08-11-06, 12:57 PM   #7
bassking22
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have never personally owned one, but have been in boats with both, and have friends with both, and they seem to like the Minn-Kota better. And I think the variable speed is way better, because my friends dad has one,, and it's pretty sweet. As to the other argument... FORD.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.