Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-18-05, 11:28 AM   #1
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default quick drop shot or braid users

i have decided to go back to braid this year.if you are like me and hate cutting your braid all the time then you may use a snap.i use the berkeley cross lock snaps that my friend uses.this presents some unique challenges when trying to use a dropshot.i rigged up a pre rigged drop shot that i am going to use for this.my spinning rod has 12/50 power pro on it.i made the drop shot out of 2/10.this gives the least visible braid possible and also if you get stuck it will break first and you won't loose 50 feet of line.at the top of the drop shot i put a size 2 split ring.then the drop line goes down approx 2.5 feet.then the hook and any where from 2 to 3 feet is the sinker.i used a tungsten 1/4 oz. bullet weight with a berkeley snap on the bottom.the snap is so when i am not using the setup i can clip the snap onto the rods hook holder.next season i will try this out but it should work fine.
Old 12-19-05, 11:31 AM   #2
bassinDan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassinDan

Dodgeguy, why not use a snap instead of a split ring? PowerPro line is great! I put it on all but one of my baitcasters (various lb. tests). One thing about it though. It's soooo slippery you have to be careful with your choice of knots and how you tie 'em.
I haven't used PowerPro on any spinning reels yet. It seems like after several casts, it would be REALLY twisted up. Do you use any lube? ...like Reel Magic?
Old 12-19-05, 12:13 PM   #3
Joe_S.
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Actuallly you would be suprised at how well braid works on a spinning reel, I don't hink I've had any twisitng or loop problems.
Old 12-19-05, 04:47 PM   #4
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Why not use a swivel and a leader of flourocarbon line instead of thinner diameter of braid.Your going to have a clearer line, I suspect that is why your down sizing the braid , so it won't be seen as easily. For the weight I tie a knot on the end of the leader put a split ring on the weight line tie and use split ring pliars to open the split ring up to insert the leader with the knot between the wire of the split ring. If the weight snags bad enough all you have to do is apply enough pressure to pull the knot through the spilt ring wires freeing up your rig to retrieve to install a new weight on without having to rig a new leader up. p n j
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-05, 05:37 PM   #5
rrw4258

i love my braid on my spinning reels. I have not had a problem with it yet!! I strongly reccommend Power Pro to anybody who has not discovered it's strength, and durability. With mono line i was changing like once a month (mainly because I fish like every day in spring through fall), but with Power Pro line i only change once a year! Just my 2 cents!

Ryan
Old 12-19-05, 07:55 PM   #6
dodgeguy

p and j,basically because i am trying to see if line diameter or visibility is more important.i used cajun red cast last year which is the least visible line next to flouro.i can't say it increased my catch rate at all.it was a great mono line and i would reccomend it to anybody.i have read articles which say that line diameter is more important than visibilty of the line.the fish pick up the thicker line through their lateral line.the fish found it harder to detect thinner line.so,in conclusion,i am trying to see if it works good with the braid.i prefer braid over any other line so if this works i will let you guys know.
Old 12-19-05, 08:55 PM   #7
pig n jig

DodgeGuy, Bassintom posted a while back about red cast line not working as well as it was supposed to. I believe he switched to Yo zuri and the bite ratio increased.Give him a holler, he is very helpful and very knowledgable on things I don't know the answers to.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-05, 10:10 PM   #8
dodgeguy

i could always get some flouro for a leader if i'm ever getting skunked and see if it helps.i just really don't believe in bass being line shy.i have seen guys with braid outfish guys with flouro.i think it's all in the presentation.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.