Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-08-09, 01:46 AM   #1
weezymagic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic
Default another question on jigs

searched around a bit and couldnt find the answers...
so im goin on a float trip soon and i hear that jigs are decent lures to use for the smallmouths in the river. so heres my questions being very unfimiliar with using jigs...

1. trailers? i hear both yes and no. i always use a trailer on my spinners for a bit of extra action but id like to be prepared instead of wrong off the bat.

2. what is a good jig setup? (mostly clear water with slow current) im thinkin 3/16oz or 1/8oz jig (color being white or chartruse) with a matching small curly tail trailer on fluoro 20#. ill prolly buy 3 jigs with trailers this week if i get some tips on what to buy.

3. Retrieve...i heard that in lakes/ponds, toss it out, let it sink, maybe get a hit, stop and go / jerk retrieve, maybe get a hit, repeat. what is my best options for a slow moving river? id assume toss it up stream parallel to breaks, cover, drop offs, etc.

thanks for all the help in advance
Old 07-08-09, 02:00 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

1. i would use a trailer for sure, a zoom little critter craw or super chunk would be my first choices for smallmouth in current.

2. you are probably right for the size but i might also go up to a 5/16 in places where the current is stronger. and for color you really should consider crawdad colors. i don't think there is a smallmouth anywhere that can pass up a crawdad (this is my reason for trailers i mentioned above).

3. i would fish it by hopping it along the bottom with a pause every once in a while where you just let it sit still. if you bump a large rock or stump then let it sit there for a while because this is a high percentage spot for a fish to be looking for a crawdad so there is a good chance of a fish coming by looking for an easy meal.
Old 07-08-09, 06:46 AM   #3
Mac2

I use the Netbait Tiny Chunk in green pumpkin or black as trailers on my hair jigs. I'm told that they are not necessary to use on hair jigs, but I've found they also attract largemouth with the flailing claws of the tiny chunk attached, as well as smallmouth. Instead of threading on the trailer, I just run the hook up through the body from underneath and out the top. Simple, quick and easy.

In addition to rocks, stumps, etc, also don't ignore where the current changes such as the edge of eddies, riffles, etc. Also put a couple in the outside of bends where sometimes ledges and undercuts have formed, making good ambush spots. Sometimes shade spots can be great as well.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 09:07 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Is it gonna be used like a swim jig? Other wise you color is quite frankly horrible! You should go with darker colors (darn Linux, think colors is spelled colours!) black/black blue, green pumpkins, and brows are best!

As for the mater of using trailers or not, I never don't use a trailer! Peca chunks, critter craws, and rage chunks, are my faves in warm water. In cold water get a trailer that has less action is better! Pork, and zoom chunks are good!

With the retrieve, cast it out let it sink, and use it as a worm. 20lb flouro should work fine, but I like braid with a flouro leader unless you're fishing thick cover, than use just braid.

Check out Kevin video for more GREAT info! http://www.bassfishin.com/videos/fishing-player.php?v=3

Good luck!
Old 07-08-09, 05:08 PM   #5
weezymagic

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic

@bb, lol - i watched his vid like 3 times last night.

i will probably use a fluoro leader since my BC is braid atm.

after further looking around, i think i will go with crawdad colors. i am not familiar with sm as i am with lm but one last question is which way do i toss and retrieve in direction with the current direction. i guess it wouldnt matter much if im imitating a crawdad.

so heres my buy list...
3x 3/16oz jig in crawdad color (ill play it safe since i wont have much time to test different sizes
1-2x packs of zoom little critter craws
1x spool of seagur invizx 20# (havent tried invizx and ive heard good things)

and maybe more if the baitmonkey sees my paycheck but ill bring a tazer in case he starts monkeying around
Old 07-08-09, 05:33 PM   #6
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Cast upstream, retrieve with the flow of current. That's the way 90% of the life in a river/stream behaves, so anything out of the ordinary might make the fish wary. Target the breaks in the current, like rocks, laydowns, points on the inside of bends. Predatory fish like to lay in the eddies generated behind these obstructions and wait for something to drift by in the main current.
Old 07-14-09, 11:56 PM   #7
bigjim

Great Video!!! ive never really fished jigs before, mainly because i didnt know how to or the best way to fish it. i do have 1 but it never got much use for the reasons i just stated..but after getting all that info from the video + all the numerous posts ive read here at the forums on the subject of jigs. i cant wait to start utilizing this lure much more.
just have to get a few more in some select colors that i want, like green pumpkin & watermellon, im sure ill get more , but ill start with those along with the black one I already have.
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.