Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-20-04, 02:43 AM   #1
FloridaBassAssassn
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FloridaBassAssassn
Default Advise on how and where to find bass Part 2

The more often you can put more then one type of cover together the better chance it might hold some fish. Next thing to the right is a pile of rocks in deeper water. Bass will seek out rocks because crawfish like rocks and bass love crayfish. Any good boulder pile will hold some big fish at some time or another. This is a good mid-day type of place to fish when the sun is high and bass are deep. Next is a shallow weedy hump out in the middle of the lake. Places like this are good bass habitat as long as the water nearby is deep enough for the fish to feel safe. One thing you don’t want to overlook is manmade structure, such as an old car body on the bottom, or just a big tire. Rock walls and jetties are also good spots. Possibly the best manmade structures that hold fish though are boat docks. Not all docks hold fish though, you want to seek out the ones that are made from floating logs and the closer to the water the better. If you can combine a dock with some weeds under it and maybe a patch of lily pads next to it. You’ve got a prime spot. Don’t waste time on metal docks as they rarely if ever hold fish. Any dock that is very low to the water can hold fish though. The next piece of structure on the drawing shows a patch of lily pads with an inside and outside edge. Look for big bass on the outside edge in the summertime and in early spring. Bass will be on the inside edge to the bank in the spring when the fish are spawning, if the bottom is not to muddy. Bass need a sand or gravel bottom to spawn in. They will scoop out a shallow bowl in the gravel about 18” to 24” around to lay their eggs in. Bass at this time of the year in my opinion should only be caught and released immediately, as other fish will move in and destroy a nest in a few minutes if left unguarded. I’m not a fan of any tournaments held at this time of the year that keep fish in a livewell . I also am a firm believer in total catch and release for bass. I wish that all states would adopt a live release policy of all bass. If you were fishing a tournament it would be legal to have fish in the livewell, but other wise it would not. Ok, enough preaching . The last thing on the map is a reed patch on the far right bank. In late spring to mid summer bass can be found in the shallowest water on the lake, as long as it some type of cover. If it has more then one type of cover it can equal a fishing “bananza”.

This last drawing of lake structure shows flooded trees on the left with a stump field in front of it. A brush pile in deep water. An old creek bed with a steep bank on one side with a weed covered point that runs deep to shallow above it. Next is has a outside edge weed bed and a shallow point inside edge. It has a shallow flat with some short grass and gravel with a deadfall over it. Where do you think you would find fish in the early spring before the spawn? How about during the spawn and then after? Late fall? Winter? Learning to read the water and figuring out where the fish would be for that time of year and time of day is the most important part of becoming a successful bass fisherman. In general you would find fish on the outside weed edge in the early spring , up on the flat during the spawn and into the late summer in the evenings. Back out into deeper water on the stumps and sunken tree top, or brush piles for the cold month's. This will not hold true everywhere in the country but will help 95% of you find an catch more fish. The my sinking bait will catch bass shallow and deep. Fish it in the thickest cover you can find rigged weed less like I covered and get ready to catch some big ol hogs."

Anything missing here? Any comments are always welcome.
Tnx FNF
FloridaBassAssassn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 03:38 AM   #2
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown
Default Re: Advise on how and where to find bass Part 2

fish-n-fool, a few of the things that were stated in your post or posts are true, but most of it is opinion, and most of it isn't wrong, its just not accurate. How can you discuss cover, and ways to fish it without discussing times of year, water temp, clarity, pressure, etc..Insert the above information in the right places, with factual data and it would be a great post. Not to mention some of the things you said were not true at all, and seemed to be made up completely. Good fishing
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 05:04 AM   #3
FloridaBassAssassn
BassFishin.Com Member

Mt, This is what I would have expected coming from you, as you have never made a post that you didn't make negative comments about my posts. *If you have a beef with me you could send it in a private message, instead of muddying up the waters here.
Nothing here is made up, it all comes from my 40+ years of bass fishing experience. Granted I have never fished in any lake East of the Mississippi, or even the Rocky MT.'s for that matter, but I don't think my fishing has suffered from it. Some of it may be my opinion, but that's my right. It is merely a guide to help novices (like yourself) catch more bass. If you have something positive to add I'd like to hear it.
Tnx FNF
Old 12-20-04, 05:32 PM   #4
FISH11
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FISH11

You guys kill me
If you could find structure like he has shown there, it wouldn't matter what time of the year, there would be fish there.
For FishnFool putting a plug in for his lures, this shouldn't bother anyone. Just because he doesn't pay Kevin big bucks to advertise. I don't see Bass Pro Shops helping Kevin out, but they sure do get enough free advertising.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 07:54 PM   #5
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I have no problem with fish-n-fool putting a little plug in at the end after providing two pages of good info. We plug enough stuff here anyways, fenwick, culprit, BPS, 4in red shad powerworms, and the list goes on.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 07:55 PM   #6
FloridaBassAssassn
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't agree that it was a shameless plug for my lures but I removed the one comment I made that named my products. I was just looking for comments on the article not to get a big hassle for advertising. If Kevin's rates were more affordable, he might actually get some one like me to advertise here, as I have NEVER see anyone the did advertise. But who can pay $250 a month for a little tiny banner ad that would maybe bring me $50 worth of business a month. You guys that are not in the lure business have no clue how hard it is to get your name out there without spending more money then your business will make in the next 10 years. I believe in my baits! I know that if bass fishermen will try them they will catch fish, that's why I put the guarantee on them. All I have is a few message boards that I post on and some word of mouth from a few guys that have used my baits. *I would really like to put an ad here if I could afford one.
and tnx to hula popper and eyes for the support. *Nice to see somebody here has something positive to say.
Tnx FNF
Old 12-20-04, 09:30 PM   #7
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

Quote:
The more often you can put more then one type of cover together the better chance it might hold some fish.
Not sure what you mean.

Quote:
Next thing to the right is a pile of rocks in deeper water.
Bass will seek out rocks because crawfish like rocks and bass love crayfish.Any good boulder pile will hold some big fish at some time or another.
This isn't true for smallies though. Gravel to softball size rocks on a flat will hold more smallies than large boulders, in my experience.

Quote:
Next is a shallow weedy hump out in the middle of the lake. Places like this are good bass habitat as long as the water nearby is deep enough for the fish to feel safe.
I usually find fish schooled just off the hump after 9am, but right on the hump from sunrise to 9am.

Quote:
One thing you don’t want to overlook is manmade structure, such as an old car body on the bottom, or just a big tire.
I guess junk and garbage could hold fish, but not any place I fish.

Quote:
Rock walls and jetties are also good spots.
Also two of my favorites, especially in tidal rivers!

Quote:
Possibly the best manmade structures that hold fish though are boat docks. Not all docks hold fish though, you want to seek out the ones that are made from floating logs and the closer to the water the better.
I also find bass under wooden docks versus metal posted ones, but floating logs??

Quote:
Don’t waste time on metal docks as they rarely if ever hold fish.
Metal, boat-elevators may be an exception. A few years in a row, I've picked up a few bass near metal boat-elevator docks adjacent to deep water drops, everytime a pitch a lure to and under them.

Quote:
The next piece of structure on the drawing shows a patch of lily pads with an inside and outside edge. Look for big bass on the outside edge in the summertime and in early spring. Bass will be on the inside edge to the bank in the spring when the fish are spawning, if the bottom is not to muddy.
Pads don't do well in mud. In the northeast, there are distinct stages of fish activity that relate to what is spawning (not necessarily bass), the size of emerging vegetation, water temperature and it's rate of increase and water clarity. The more of everything (except water clarity), the more prespawners feed.

Emerging weeds can hold bass equally in 2' as in 4'. Small bass seem to like the outside edges and get stupid trying to take down a 11" plastic worm, but larger bass are real shallow, well into the pads, and are very irritated when a topwater splashes 5 yards away. Pad edges aren't too important in the lakes and rivers I fish, the lanes between pad clusters are, regardless of the depth or location.

Quote:
Bass need a sand or gravel bottom to spawn in. Bass at this time of the year in my opinion should only be caught and released immediately, as other fish will move in and destroy a nest in a few minutes if left unguarded. I’m not a fan of any tournaments held at this time of the year that keep fish in a livewell.
Fishing for spawners, regardless of quick release, doesn't seem too much different than keeping fish in a livewell. A bass will not always go back to a nest or might not have started or completed her egg laying. I leave spawners alone, but that's just me!

Quote:
I also am a firm believer in total catch and release for bass. I wish that all states would adopt a live release policy of all bass. If you were fishing a tournament it would be legal to have fish in the livewell, but other wise it would not.
Harvest is a good thing for lakes overpopulated by small to medium size fish and the purpose of fishing for some anglers is their enjoyment of fresh bass meat or other species of fish. Of course the idiot that keeps over the creel should be hung by his ****s.

Quote:
The last thing on the map is a reed patch on the far right bank. In late spring to mid summer bass can be found in the shallowest water on the lake, as long as it some type of cover. If it has more then one type of cover it can equal a fishing “bananza”.
The last of the post spawners head for open water and move within a horizontal range to feed. Shallow ponds see the same locations on a daily basis - deep to shallow, back to deep. Some bass stay deep, some stay shallower, but as you say, something seems to hold them.

One exception are school bass. They get together to feed on whatever is abundant, *but can difficult to predict regarding location.

Thanks for the post. Other input sometimes clarifies central ideas and expands upon them. Much of what I posted is relevant to where I fish, but may not be, where you fish.

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 10:07 PM   #8
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=news;num=1103521408;start=0#4 date=12/20/04 at 17:54:18]I have no problem with fish-n-fool putting a little plug in at the end after providing two pages of good info. *We plug enough stuff here anyways, fenwick, culprit, BPS, 4in red shad powerworms, and the list goes on. [/quote]
Hula, I disagree. Regardless of what one thinks of manufacturers plugging their products, there is NO COMPARISON between that and individual fishermen talking about and recommending the products we use. That's what the boards are for.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 04:05 PM   #9
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Well, FishnFool has plugged his stuff on here, but he has also been a usefull member of this board. I mean if you have a crankbait question he is one of the guys to ask here, and based on that I think he benifits the board more than he hurts it with advertising. I have no personal problem with people plugging products on a board as long as they are accesable and participate in the other subjects on a given board.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 07:02 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

well put wtl .

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-04, 05:48 AM   #11
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

LOL, yeah fish-n-fool, I am a little hard on you sometimes. As far as the private message thing, thats not me. If I have something to say I really don't care who reads, or hears it. I am not trying to muddy any waters, I just say what I think or know, thats all. I do apologize for any negative things I have said about your fishing ability or skill. I realize you are just trying to help people, and learn a little yourself, just like I am. We do fish in different parts of the country and strategies, techniques, cover, and all that good stuff does tend to differ. Good fishing.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.