Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-19-05, 11:44 AM   #1
Dyas
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dyas
Unhappy Any suggestions??????

I am looking to get a new baitcaster somewhere in the 20 to 50 $ range. I got a Ugly Stick that is a pitching and flipping rod MH 6 1/2'. Any of yall know a good high qaulity low profile reel in that price range. Thanks
Old 09-19-05, 12:34 PM   #2
Raul

BPS Extreme reels are for sale @ $50. Daiwa Procaster PT100-4Bi are for sale @ $40.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-05, 04:58 PM   #3
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I thought you just got a few new reels for your bday?
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-05, 05:02 PM   #4
Dyas

I did. But my old Ambassaduers True Wind or whatever you call it is messed up and all the line bunches up on one side and when you go to cast it it makes a bader than hell birdnest............ Its about 4 years old......... Tryin to replace it and put it on the same rod............
Old 09-19-05, 10:47 PM   #5
oklahomavsgeorgia
BassFishin.Com Member

I would say the BPS extream or Daiwa PT100. From what I heard it is hard to beat the BPS Extream.

Frank Rolen

I am Going To Work Less And Fish More! :D
oklahomavsgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-05, 10:51 PM   #6
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yea id go with a bps series just to try there reels cause i only hear good things about them.
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-05, 06:18 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

Dyas

It will only cost a couple of dollars to fix that abu if your interested and to top it off its very easy. At the most it cost $13 to replace the pawl and the worm gear and wolla brand new again. If ya need or want to get the parts give me a holler.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-05, 07:51 AM   #8
Unregistered

Also, any suggestions on combo rods/reels/ To get a good one, what is the mionimum you have to spend? Will the $50 Bill Dance combos work as well as anything else for pond fishing?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-20-05, 03:09 PM   #9
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Also, any suggestions on combo rods/reels/ To get a good one, what is the mionimum you have to spend? Will the $50 Bill Dance combos work as well as anything else for pond fishing?

Thanks for the help guys.
You can get a BPS Bionic Blade / Daiwa Procaster 6+1 reel fro $100 and thatīs a good combo, much better than the Quantum Bill Dance combo.
Old 09-21-05, 07:20 AM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
You can get a BPS Bionic Blade / Daiwa Procaster 6+1 reel fro $100 and thatīs a good combo, much better than the Quantum Bill Dance combo.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

OK, thanks for the info! What makes the BPS better than the Bill Dance? More ball bearings and a better gear ratio. like 6:1?
Old 09-21-05, 10:25 AM   #11
Dyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Dyas

It will only cost a couple of dollars to fix that abu if your interested and to top it off its very easy. At the most it cost $13 to replace the pawl and the worm gear and wolla brand new again. If ya need or want to get the parts give me a holler.
No thanks, but thanks for the offer though. Its realy kinda big and I want a smaller reel such as a low profile to replace it. Where can you go to buy the BPS reels besides BPS. The closest one to me is 4 hours away.
Old 09-21-05, 12:11 PM   #12
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

OK, thanks for the info! What makes the BPS better than the Bill Dance? More ball bearings and a better gear ratio. like 6:1?
Is not the ammount of bearings what is important, itīs the quality and the placing of them in the reelīs mechanism what counts, 1 good bearing is worth more than ten lousy ones. Many manufacturers add more bearings in an attempt to catch your attention, sadly most acomplish what they want, you end up purchasing the reel beacuse it has more bearings, a season or two later those poor quality bearings give up and you get a useless reel not worth the repair. In the world of fishing gear you get what you pay for.

Let me give you an example: one of my oldest reels is an AbuGarcia Ambassadeur 521 XLT plus, the reel was purchased in 1984, back then it was one of the most expensive and higher quality reels available in the market with a hefty price of near 100 dollars. The reel came with 1 bearing, 21 years later that reel is still in use even though I have other reels, 21 years of use and abuse with hundreds of fish caught with it many over 10 pounds. Do the math 100 dollars/ 21 years = 4.76 dollars PER YEAR, with the care I give my reels and rods that reel is going to last with ease another 10 years or more. Thatīs what you get when you purchase quality gear. Many of my friends thought I was crazy when I purchased that reel, that the price was obscene, etc, etc, many of them have purchased 3 or 4 reels during the same period of time. Who was the smart one in the first place ?

I only recommend what I found to be the best buy in terms of quality, reliability and durability, I canīt deny it Iīm a Shimano man, most of my reels are Shimano but I do know that Shimano like any other company has lousy gear, in this particular case in reels from 50-70 dollars Daiwa reels are much better than their Shimano counterparts ( Callisto and Crestfire ), the reels are better built and are more quality built. If you are in the search of a 120-150 dollar reel the best bang for the buck is the Curado ( my older Curado in use is 10 years old and I have 3 of them ).
Old 09-21-05, 12:36 PM   #13
oklahomavsgeorgia
BassFishin.Com Member

The Bill Dance combo would probly be good but the Daiwa/Bionic Blade Combo would probly last alot longer and a better rod. You can order online if you don't want to make the 4hr drive maybe Ebay might have some but you have to be carefull on Ebay for Frauds sometimes.

Frank Rolen

I am Going To Work Less And Fish More! :D
oklahomavsgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-05, 05:55 PM   #14
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

All I use are BPS Extreme reels. Being on sale for $49 makes it that much of a better buy. I'd recommend them to anyone wanting a quality reel for a good price.
Old 09-22-05, 06:20 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Just to give you an idea I always look for reels that at the very least have a aluminum frame and bearings that are placed correctly. Most o fmy reels (shimano's ) only have 4 bearings but they are all aluminum construction and the bearings are placed so they actually perorm something. There are reels out there that boast 6,7 or more bearings but will wear out REAL fast because they do absolutley nothing and they in a graphite frame which is much more suseptable to wear from normal use. A graphite frame als cannot stand up to torque froma larger fish as well as aluminum or getting stuck in a tree and pulling on it to free the lure. As far as rods get the best you can afford....at the days end your arms will thank you because of less fatigue and they use beter components in the construction.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-05, 09:21 AM   #16
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Laser you are correct about the graphite frames another point is that the graphite frame is much colder in your hand in cold weather. If you are fishing 35 to 40 degree air temps the reel is so cold that when you palm it freezes your hand. The aluminum frames are cold but will warm up with your body heat much better than the graphite. Fish2win
Old 09-23-05, 05:23 AM   #17
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
Is not the ammount of bearings what is important, itīs the quality and the placing of them in the reelīs mechanism what counts, 1 good bearing is worth more than ten lousy ones. Many manufacturers add more bearings in an attempt to catch your attention, sadly most acomplish what they want, you end up purchasing the reel beacuse it has more bearings, a season or two later those poor quality bearings give up and you get a useless reel not worth the repair. In the world of fishing gear you get what you pay for.

Let me give you an example: one of my oldest reels is an AbuGarcia Ambassadeur 521 XLT plus, the reel was purchased in 1984, back then it was one of the most expensive and higher quality reels available in the market with a hefty price of near 100 dollars. The reel came with 1 bearing, 21 years later that reel is still in use even though I have other reels, 21 years of use and abuse with hundreds of fish caught with it many over 10 pounds. Do the math 100 dollars/ 21 years = 4.76 dollars PER YEAR, with the care I give my reels and rods that reel is going to last with ease another 10 years or more. Thatīs what you get when you purchase quality gear. Many of my friends thought I was crazy when I purchased that reel, that the price was obscene, etc, etc, many of them have purchased 3 or 4 reels during the same period of time. Who was the smart one in the first place ?

I only recommend what I found to be the best buy in terms of quality, reliability and durability, I canīt deny it Iīm a Shimano man, most of my reels are Shimano but I do know that Shimano like any other company has lousy gear, in this particular case in reels from 50-70 dollars Daiwa reels are much better than their Shimano counterparts ( Callisto and Crestfire ), the reels are better built and are more quality built. If you are in the search of a 120-150 dollar reel the best bang for the buck is the Curado ( my older Curado in use is 10 years old and I have 3 of them ).
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

Many thanks, Raul! That's the kind of info I needed.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.