Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-10, 11:21 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Flipping Switch?

Does anyone know of any high-end reels that have a flipping switch/lever? Right now, it's sort of comical...I have a $30 reel on a $400 rod. My Abu Silver Max has always worked great, but I'm not too confident on it surviving the pounding of hard hooksets. It's got quite a few plastic and graphite parts. It was a good little reel to learn baitcasters with, but it really might be time to pass it on to another beginner and upgrade to something made out of 100% metal. However, I will be using it until I find a replacement, because I really like the switch. You don't even have to think about touching the reel handle unless you get a bite.
Old 01-21-10, 11:37 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The most epensive reel I've seen with one is the Quantum Accurist for around $80 I think, but don't quote me on the price.

BB
Old 01-21-10, 11:49 PM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

The Shimano Castaic has a flipping switch and I hear it works pretty good. I've never owned a Castaic, but have some close friends that have a few. I don't recall them every using the flipping switch when they've fished with me, though. But I've also never heard anything critical of it either. I'm a Shimano fan so I'm sure it's a good reel.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 12:00 AM   #4
nofearengineer

Thanks, Kevin. I was looking at the Castaic, but their description sounds a bit weird. I'm used to just using the thumb button to let line out, and then just releasing it to engage the anti-reverse. It sounds like you have to push something on the Castaic to do that. I'm sure I'll have to go down to Gander and check one out. I've set a goal of an 8 lb'er this year, and I don't want to tempt fate and hook it on a plastic reel. Losing one like that would kill me.
Old 01-22-10, 12:26 AM   #5
BigBassin144

The Shimano Core 100MGFV has Shimano's Instagage II. I don't really know how this compares to the flippin switches I've seen on reels like the Accurist.

Oh, and price wise, it's fairly close to that $400 rod!

BB
Old 01-22-10, 12:32 AM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I don't know anything about them but:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageARDCR-ACF5.html

I looked at one at Gander Mnt last time I was home.
Old 01-22-10, 12:49 AM   #7
nofearengineer

I know aesthetics aren't everything, but good lord, man. I wonder if Ardent purposefully made those reels look like toys. I would expect a calliope to be playing in the background when I crank it. It's a pretty heavy s.o.b. too.

Thanks for a chuckle, Bubba.
Old 01-22-10, 12:51 AM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

You're very welcome my friend. It is a red headed stepchild.
Old 01-22-10, 11:51 AM   #9
cassidyta

I have the accurist and am pleased with it. They list them at $120, but can be found on sale for $70.
I have used the castaic and am sure that I could get used to it. The button caused me a few issues early on though.
Old 01-22-10, 12:06 PM   #10
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I own 4 of accurist. Bought 4 for 200 bucks brand new off ebay last year.

Nofear, more info about the reel.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantaccurist2.html
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 12:32 PM   #11
WaffleJaw

Not to change the subject,but Im curious as to how a flipping switch makes it easier?
I dont have much experience in flipping,but from what Ive done it seems simple enough without a switch.
Old 01-22-10, 01:33 PM   #12
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Im curious as to how a flipping switch makes it easier?
The link I posted above has that info.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 02:00 PM   #13
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Does anyone know of any high-end reels that have a flipping switch/lever?
Yes, Shimano Core 100 MGFV, but itīs not really a flipping switch, a flipping switch when in the "on" position disengages the spool as long as you keep the thumbar pressed the moment you release the thumbar the spool engages, the Instagage system found in the Core MGFV and the Castaic disengages the spool when you press the thumbar and it maintains it disengaged until you push the thumbar upwards or turn the handle.

So whatīs the difference ? well the difference is if you happen to lift your thumb while the spool is rotating on a reel with the flipping switch in the "on" position ---> bye-bye idle gear teeth. That will not happen with the Instagage system.

Been there done that.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 02:10 PM   #14
Jrob78

Quote:
Yes, Shimano Core 100 MGFV, but itīs not really a flipping switch, a flipping switch when in the "on" position disengages the spool as long as you keep the thumbar pressed the moment you release the thumbar the spool engages, the Instagage system found in the Core MGFV and the Castaic disengages the spool when you press the thumbar and it maintains it disengaged until you push the thumbar upwards or turn the handle.
Isn't this basically the same feature that most Daiwa reels have? You can manually push the thumbar up and engage the spool.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 02:20 PM   #15
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Thanks, Kevin. I was looking at the Castaic, but their description sounds a bit weird. I'm used to just using the thumb button to let line out, and then just releasing it to engage the anti-reverse. It sounds like you have to push something on the Castaic to do that. I'm sure I'll have to go down to Gander and check one out. I've set a goal of an 8 lb'er this year, and I don't want to tempt fate and hook it on a plastic reel. Losing one like that would kill me.
I bought my first Castaic (after years of wondering) last February. I now own three.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 02:24 PM   #16
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Isn't this basically the same feature that most Daiwa reels have? You can manually push the thumbar up and engage the spool.
No, you canīt push the thumbar up in any conventional Daiwa BC reel I know about.

Daiwa did have reels with flipping switch, TDZ and TDX models that looked like this ( manufactured only as lefties ):

And the Procaster Rojo which has a flipping switch.

Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 02:43 PM   #17
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBandit View Post
The link I posted above has that info.
Got it,thanks..So basically it just locks the thumb bar when you take your thumb off automatically...neat.
Old 01-22-10, 02:46 PM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
No, you canīt push the thumbar up in any conventional Daiwa BC reel I know about.
Hmm...I'll have to check when I get home, I have a Zillion, Fuego and a Exceler and I'm pretty certain that you can on the Zillion and Exceler, don't think I've tried the Fuego.
Old 01-22-10, 03:33 PM   #19
bassboogieman

+1 on the Castaic. Or if you want to spend just a few more bucks look at the Shimano Quickfire which is the Japan version of the Castaic. The Quickfire is the only Shimano reel I own, as there is nothing else like it on the market. I use right hand reels and the thumb bar engages the reel without turning the handle - which I really like - should I be a little slow getting the rod transferred to other hand, or when flipping I sometimes don't change hands unless I get bit.

The picture is a lefty, buy you can get an idea.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 05:21 PM   #20
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Daiwa did have reels with flipping switch, TDZ and TDX models that looked like this ( manufactured only as lefties ):
I have some of the old TD-Z (or is it X?) lefties pictured above, and that switch isn't a flipping switch... it acts like a regular thumb bar clutch. Just FYI.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 05:28 PM   #21
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post

So whatīs the difference ? well the difference is if you happen to lift your thumb while the spool is rotating on a reel with the flipping switch in the "on" position ---> bye-bye idle gear teeth. That will not happen with the Instagage system.

Been there done that.
Quote:
Just what I thought. So Shimano is using this feature, which seems standard on Daiwa's (USDM ones anyways), and markets it as some special, highend thing...

Quote:
Hmm...I'll have to check when I get home, I have a Zillion, Fuego and a Exceler and I'm pretty certain that you can on the Zillion and Exceler, don't think I've tried the Fuego.
The illion does, the Procaster I have does, and so does my viento. Ithought it was really weird when I first used another reel (my first two reels were Daiwa's)

BB
Old 01-22-10, 05:34 PM   #22
nofearengineer

The Viento does this? Great! I had already snagged a used Viento off ebay for $85 this morning for tubes, jigs, and T-rigging. Now I can see if I like the Daiwa thumb bar approach too before making any decisions.
Old 01-22-10, 05:42 PM   #23
Jrob78

Quote:
The illion does, the Procaster I have does, and so does my viento. Ithought it was really weird when I first used another reel (my first two reels were Daiwa's)
Cool, thanks for verifying that for me, I was sure Daiwas did that.
Old 01-22-10, 08:45 PM   #24
nofearengineer

By the way...I was just at Tacklewarehouse, and they have dropped the Viento even more, down to $130. Not a bad deal at all.
Old 01-23-10, 12:30 AM   #25
RichZ
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Flipping switches

I have some old Daiwa TD1s with real flipping switches on them. But the only time I ever use the switch is when pitching, not flipping. At the end of a pitch, as my lure hits the water, is about the only time in fishing that my reel is more than in inch or two from my reel hand. The rod is in my left hand, which is extended toward the target, and my right hand is typically down by my side. By pitching with the flipping switch on, I can engage the reel by lifting my thumb, and be ready for a bite on the sink.

But in actual flipping, I might not go into free spool or turn the reel handle but once every 15 to 20 flips, unless I catch a fish in that time. I get the appropriate length of line out, and keep it out until there's a reason to change that line length.
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.