Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-15-12, 12:01 PM   #1
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

Default First outing strategies & recommendations?

Hey Guys,..... weather here in Iowa has been unbelievable for the past couple of weeks. We are just now into a 4 day stretch of highs in mid 70's with nightly lows in mid 50's. This is almost 30 degrees above normal for this time of year. Ice has been off most of the lakes now for approx. 10 days or more. Forecast is calling for 80 degrees tomorrow and mid 70's for the next 5 days..... my day off is on Mondays.

I generally don't even think of getting my boat on the water before mid to late April due to ice coverage and then very cold water. But due to the unseasonably warm weather I am scrambling this weekend to get my gear ready and make a trip out next Monday the 19th. Planning on trying to make most of a day of it. I do not know the current surface water temps but I am guessing it should be at least in the mid 40's or possibly slightly higher.

Forecast is for partly cloudy skies and highs in mid to upper 70's by Monday. Winds out of south at 15mph with gusts up to 30mph. There are two lake choices in my area that I am trying to decide between. The smaller lake is 400 acres and the larger 800 acres. We have had very little precipitation for the past month so I am anticipating both lakes to be quite clear to very lightly stained.

I am thinking lipless crankbaits, suspended jerkbaits, maybe a few shallow squarebills near cover, and possibly a football jig probing creek channels if the bite is slow on the other techniques..... Am I thinking along the right lines here? ..... anyone have any other suggestions, and or thoughts?

Sorry for such a long post.....
IAFrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 12:59 PM   #2
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yep your game plan is pretty solid. If the water is pretty clear, like 3 to 4 ft. or better, I would also recomend a 4 inch worm of some type, like a french fry or centipede, on a #2 EWG and an 1/8th oz. T-rigged, speacially if the water is still in low to mid 40's. Rapala DT's work well for me in colder water as well, I generally won't start throwing square bills untill the water temps in the lower 60's. I do think though a lot of people throw them early like this. Slow rolling a spinnerbait is also something that works great if the water temp is in the lower 50's. Kind of have to let bass tell you what's going to work though. Good luck with your fishing.
Old 03-15-12, 02:09 PM   #3
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

I live in TN and last month when the water temp was low 50' we caught them well on the Red Eye and the Spro Lipless crankbait. Also had good luck with some OSP's and CP "Craig Power's" flat sided homeades. When we went o the jerkbait it was the Luck E Strike and Smithwick. We did well in some of the smaller tourney's as the larger one's weren't going just quite yet. But like basstech seems like you have a good plan. Hope things go well for you on your trip out.
Matt
matt3mckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 05:28 PM   #4
BlueRaider
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey, Matt. Where do you live in TN? I live about 30 miles East of Nashville in Lebanon.
BlueRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 06:38 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFrogger View Post

I am thinking lipless crankbaits, suspended jerkbaits, maybe a few shallow squarebills near cover, and possibly a football jig probing creek channels if the bite is slow on the other techniques..... Am I thinking along the right lines here? ..... anyone have any other suggestions, and or thoughts?

Sorry for such a long post.....
I'm in northern Indiana and facing pretty much the same deal you are. I'm heading out for a day of bass fishing tomorrow. Took a vacation day. I'll be using pretty much exactly what you are, but I'll also be working a Chatterbait as I often do well with them in early spring. I just work them slowly along the bottom just fast enough to keep them off the bottom. I'll also be pitchin a jig around shallow wood cover as woody cover holds heat and also holds bass. Crazy warm spring this year for us northern brothers. Might make for some exciting angling!
Old 03-15-12, 06:57 PM   #6
IUbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaider View Post
Hey, Matt. Where do you live in TN? I live about 30 miles East of Nashville in Lebanon.
I LOVE Labanon. I already have a house picked out after I graduate...
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-12, 04:10 PM   #7
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm from Maryville, right below Knoxville
matt3mckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-12, 10:47 PM   #8
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm in kansas and the last week the temperature has jumped up from the 40's to the high 70's during the day and the mid 60's at night. The water temp went from the high 30's to the low 60's within the last week. I caught my first fish of the year from shore on monday, and have fished every single day of the week since monday in the boat. It might not be the same for you there, but I have been tearing it up with a red cotton cordell super spot. I like to rip it as fast as it will let me without stopping. The vibrations just make the fish go crazy! I have also been using a t-rigged 7" black curltail worm, 3/8 oz brown jig, and an unweighted fluke. Also, if you can, take some ultralight gear with you. I have been using a 1/8 oz red rooster tail to catch finicky fish.
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.