Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-07-07, 11:19 PM   #1
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Pig n' Jig

I just like saying it. How do you guys fish this amazing bait? What is your favorite model and trailer? What are the best conditions to throw one? Football jigs?
I like mann's stone jig for most applications although I will be using footballs for deeper stuff.
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 11:21 PM   #2
hackattack

ooh-favorite colors?--black and blue for me but a great one is green pumpkin with a pumpkin grub, looks just like a 'gill.
fav trailer is zoom salty chunk.
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 12:19 AM   #3
DadofJolly
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm desperately trying to increase my confidence with a jig. There is something special about jig fishing. So many 11 and 12 pound bass are caught in our home lake on jigs - but not by us. Over time the best producer for me has been little finesse jigs. We hand made some last year and tied a little deer hair with them on a 1/8 oz green pumpkin head (green black flake skirt / black deer hair). We use a brown pumpkin Strike King XXX plastic craw trimmed very short (just 3/4 of the head and the claws) The XXX plastic floats like crazy and really slows the fall way down. We flipped it and fished it deep ve-ry slowly like a worm, takes some patients though if used deep. Probably caught more on that jig than any other. But, I probably fished it more than any other also.
God Bless.
Old 03-08-07, 12:41 AM   #4
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

I like the Strike King Pro Model and Mann's Stone Jig in watermelon, pumpkin, or black and blue. My favorite trailers are the Net Bait Paca Craws or Paca Chunks and Zoom Ultra Vibe trailers. The only way to find out the best time to throw a jig is whenever the fish are biting on it since fish are sometimes picky eaters. Or, as one of my esteemed colleagues would say, "When all else fails, throw a jig."
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 01:00 AM   #5
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

booyah jig with paca chunk. I also put northland double barrel rattles on mine.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 06:36 PM   #6
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

All I fish is black and blue jigs. Mostly the ones I make.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 07:24 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ultra vibe trailers are all i find that works for me..

i caught over 30 bass last year fishing one in 10+ feet of water.. alot of poeple think anything over 5 feet is too deep..

my advise keep throwing it and find where it works for YOU..

zooker
Old 03-08-07, 08:12 PM   #8
bfd300

i use stanley jigs w/ a rattle ...most productive color is black/blue w/ a black/blue plastic craw...when the bite really gets tough i remove the craw and fish just the jig....downsizing...........but thats only in the summer when the sun is high and the water it very warm.

otto
bfd300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 08:35 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofJolly View Post
I'm desperately trying to increase my confidence with a jig. There is something special about jig fishing. So many 11 and 12 pound bass are caught in our home lake on jigs - but not by us.
I've been thinking more and more about why bigger bass are caught on a PNJ, and the theory I have is as follows.

1. They are usually fished slower, and bigger bass are to say the least usually lazier, and don't chase a ton of baits IMO.
2. Most people will fish them in heavier cover than they usually fish other baits, thereby getting more chances where the big gals hang out IMO.

These are just my "THEORIES", no scientific data to back that up, but on the other side I still have caught quite a few smaller bass on them also.

I prefer to fish PNJ more in the heavy grassy areas, punching through with a rattle, and the Grassmaster jig(thanks again PNJ for getting me started on them) has been far superior for this than any other jig I've used. I pretty much use a Baby Paca Craw as a trailer, and prefer green's and greenpumpkin's as my colors. I use a t-rig for just about everywhere else.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 03-09-07 at 03:45 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 10:04 PM   #10
bassfanpa
BassFishin.Com Member

We catch a ton of fish up here in the "north" on a png. I throw big jigs like a 3/4oz arky with a Yammamoto 6" double tail as a trailer. It is a big package, but works well when focusing on bigger fish. The Yammamoto double tail is an awesome trailer that most folks don't think about. Try it!
bassfanpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 02:14 PM   #11
keithdog

One technique I use with my P&J, I discovered by accident. I was casting to some shallow water brush and overshot my target, landing the jig about 2 foot onto shore. So I figured I would try slowly crawling it back into the water and just slowy reel and twitch it back to the boat. The jig didn't make it 4 feet before a nice bass engulfed it. The lightbulb in my head clicked on fast. I've had success often since then by using this approach. I mostly use a balck and blue jig with a craw trailer. However, the jig I was using the day I accidently cast onto the shore was white. Both seems to work in shallow water for me.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 08:37 PM   #12
knukles
BassFishin.Com Member

all these guys are right black & blue and Peanu butter are the only colors your gonna need. as far as a football jig goes use that when cover or hang ups are slim
knukles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 08:55 PM   #13
commanche

use big jigs for big bass..i make my own..my favorite size is 3/8 oz.best colors,black in dirty water and brown in clear..

i caught a 8.1 pd bass in tournamet here at raystown lake in pa..thats a record bass for pa. here in north.

i was using a 3/8 oz jig with a 10 inch worm on rear, yes, 10 inch worm..black jig with a 10 inch blue worm..

put your small stuff away and throw nothing but big when you are after big bass..

been at this for 45 years..as said, big bass are lazy,they want it big ,so give it to them..
commanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 10:01 PM   #14
knukles
BassFishin.Com Member

commanche is right.
knukles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 12:01 AM   #15
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I suppose i'm like everyone else, I like to fish jigs in heavy cover, black/blue for shure, also like pumpkin/blue a lot, couple of green pumpkins, etc. I get some excellent ideas from the folks that procure jigs from me, things I would have never thought of! As far as trailers, I have recently started using little paca's, used to use the Uncle Josh Phantom Craw, not entirely sold on the paca yet, working on a chunk that resembles the Luck-E-Strike Rick Clunn. I have been known to swim jigs a fair amount too, nothing like a bass chasing it down, and hammering it!

I do not think there is a 'wrong' condition to throw a jig, but I personally tend to throw them more in the cooler months, then again in the dog days.

Football jigs, to me, are for rip-rap.

I like the shape of the Stone Jig, hate the way it sits, but I'm working on a solution for that too!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.