Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-01-10, 09:06 PM   #1
BigBurlyBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Gear ratios and baits

What other baits are really hard to reel in other than deep diving crankbaits. And what gear ratios should I use for those baits?
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-10, 09:24 PM   #2
BassBandit

I prefer a 4.7 to 5.2 gear ratio for deep divers.

Welcome aboard!
Old 09-01-10, 09:44 PM   #3
BigBurlyBass

Thankyou for the welcom and your preference. What about the gear ratio for swimbaits and spinnerbaits?
Old 09-01-10, 10:05 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'll use two different gear for spinnerbaits. I like a 7:1 when I'm long casting using it as a search bait, and a 6:1 when I'm target casting it along docks, to weed pockets, etc.

For deep cranks, definitely a 4 or 5:1.

I'm not big into swimbaits, but when I fish them, I use a 6:1.

Welcome to the site by the way!

BB
Old 09-01-10, 10:24 PM   #5
bamabassman

dis is covered very well.
Old 09-01-10, 10:45 PM   #6
Strike_King 609

5;3.1 for crankin on a 6"6 rod
7:3.1 for topwater Buzzbaits/ swimbait 7"3 rod
6:2.1 for for jerkbaits 7" rod
5:2.1 on my spinning rod
Old 09-02-10, 12:10 AM   #7
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First off, Welcome
On swimbaits:
The size of the bait changes my preference. I treat big swimbaits 8" and larger like a deep crank. I prefer to use a 5:1:1 or even a 4:7:1 I like to keep those moving at steady slow pace. When I throw the smaller baits, I like to move up to a 6:1:1 because I do a lot of stop and go with them.
Old 09-02-10, 08:51 AM   #8
BigBurlyBass

Thankyou everyone for the welcomes and suggestions. All of these posts really helped alot! thanks!
Old 09-06-10, 01:29 PM   #9
BigBurlyBass

So baisiclly i can throw any bait on a 6.3:1 reel except those deep diving crankbaits will be harder to reel in, but swim baits (just not GIGANTIC ones) , spinner baits/buzzbaits, shallow running crankbaits/lipless crankbaits, other topwater baits and soft plastics. I will be able to throw/retrieve them in well? Why I am SO finicky about this is because I am gonna be spending alot of money on this reel and i want it to do pretty much everything! And i only have one other baitcaster. Here is the one i am gonna buy!

http://www.quantumfishing.com/produc...Energy-PT.aspx
Old 09-06-10, 02:25 PM   #10
Jrob78

6.3:1 is a good all purpose gear ratio for bass fishing.
Old 09-06-10, 05:45 PM   #11
BigBurlyBass

Well I am going to buy the 6.3:1 THANKYOU! EVERYONE! for all of your help
Old 09-06-10, 05:59 PM   #12
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i have no issue using a 6.3 on cranks...just reel slower? lol
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 10:21 PM   #13
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
Has nothing do with the speed. Try pedal a 5 speed bicycle in 5th gear uphill then come back with a report.
Old 09-08-10, 10:27 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBandit View Post
Has nothing do with the speed. Try pedal a 5 speed bicycle in 5th gear uphill then come back with a report.
It all has to do with torque.

The lower gear ratio reel makes more torque, reeling slower is just a side effect.

BB
Old 09-08-10, 11:29 PM   #15
Garry2rs

I think we can all agree that big baits and big diving lips are easier to reel on lower geared reels.

That said I think most of the talk about gear ratios is over rated.

Just ten years ago gears of about 6:1 was high speed and 5:1 was average. Today 7:1 is high speed and 6:1 is average...But the reels are still only bringing in 25 to 27 inches of line per crank.

Look at these latest reels. What else has changed in those 10 years? What I see is the reels and their spools are getting smaller...With smaller spools you need higher speed gears to pick up the same amount of line.

Trying to matching a rod to every technique or a reel to every bait only benefits the tackle sellers.

Two years ago legendary Bass Pro Rick Clunn settled on one rod and reel combo for everything! His idea makes sense, in-that when he changed baits, the rod/reel always felt the same.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 11:38 PM   #16
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Kevin VanDam says he uses the high ratio because he can burn it back after the strike zone quicker so he can make more casts in a day.
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 09:04 AM   #17
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs View Post
I think we can all agree that big baits and big diving lips are easier to reel on lower geared reels.

That said I think most of the talk about gear ratios is over rated.

Just ten years ago gears of about 6:1 was high speed and 5:1 was average. Today 7:1 is high speed and 6:1 is average...But the reels are still only bringing in 25 to 27 inches of line per crank.

Trying to matching a rod to every technique or a reel to every bait only benefits the tackle sellers.

Two years ago legendary Bass Pro Rick Clunn settled on one rod and reel combo for everything! His idea makes sense, in-that when he changed baits, the rod/reel always felt the same.
Garry2R's
I fully agree with your comments, Garry. Even without the ideas of the 'legends', it seems that eventually we might all come to the conclusion that enough is enough. There is so much overlap among many of these techniques that one line, rod, and reel will cover most of them adequately for the average fisherman. Those who are not satisfied with being average can continue throwing their money in all directioins.

Old 09-09-10, 09:30 AM   #18
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveysMinnow View Post
I fully agree with your comments, Garry. Even without the ideas of the 'legends', it seems that eventually we might all come to the conclusion that enough is enough. There is so much overlap among many of these techniques that one line, rod, and reel will cover most of them adequately for the average fisherman. Those who are not satisfied with being average can continue throwing their money in all directioins.

I also agree with Garry's take on gear ratios. There are only two things that come into play. Inches per turn, and handle throw.

Gear ratio is irrelevant, because it doesn't included any factor for spool size.

Handle throw is important, because the longer your handle, the higher your inches per turn can be and still be easy to turn. And handle throw is conveniently left out of the marketing scheme. This is because selling a replacement handle for a reel is less profitable than selling a whole extra reel.

I do disagree about the need for the other ratios though. I am going to buy 8-10 baitcasters anyway, identical gear ratio or not. I like to keep my guns loaded, so to speak. So they all might as well be as "tuned" to the type of presentation as they can be.
Old 09-09-10, 09:37 AM   #19
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBandit View Post
i understand all that,and its nothing like high gear on a bicycle. its not all that hard to turn to me.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 11:04 AM   #20
walkeraviator

I used to say 6.3:1 would handle it all til i actually got out and threw a deep running crankbait on one... lets just say my next reel is going to be 4.7:1 with deep running cranks in mind... the one i am lookin at will also serve well for slowing down shallower running cranks in the spring as it is only 19" per turn retrieve...

But I still believe that my 6.3:1 reels can do all the other techniques i throw with ease...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 04:25 PM   #21
dave0943

I use 6.3,7.1 reels most of the time. I've got some slower Abu C3's I use once in a while. I will however be buying a BP PQ lower ratio reel in the near future. I think they carry 4.7, 5.1 reels. I like my PQ 7.1 so much that I wanted another. I haven't had any problems using 6.3 for deep cranks, however, it would make it easier with a 5.1. If I wasn't going to buy another PQ, I'd probably make do with what I have. I don't think there will be any time soon that I won't be looking at new rods or reels. It's a disease I tell you!!!
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 04:29 PM   #22
dave0943

By the way, what gear ratio did Rick Clunn settle on? I don't remember reading on that.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.