Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-21-12, 11:33 PM   #1
T7HeadTurner
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Weightless Worm Rod Line

What line do you guys use....? I was thinking 10lb Braid, or 10lb -12lb, mono?.... Not a big fan of Fluorocarbon.
Thanks
-Tim
Old 03-21-12, 11:45 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This is actually a technique where I feel fluorocarbon really shines. You're constantly fishing a slack line and usually don't have a solid contact with your bait, I think fluoro gives you the best sensitivity in this situation. Fluoro also sinks which will help you get your bait down a little faster, that can be important for weightless techniques, especially Senkos and weightless finesse worms.

If fluoro is definitely out, I would use a copoly. I like P-Line CX and do use it for weightless worming.
Old 03-21-12, 11:57 PM   #3
Tavery5

I agree with Jrob78, FC would be my line of choice, but if it is a nogo, then I would go with a good copoly. Braid just does not transmit well on a slack line.
Old 03-22-12, 12:58 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I fish a lot of soft jerks and weightless baits, but I like to go with #12 Sufix mono for the job. I love for the jerk bait to break the surface of the water on light twitches or to jump out on harder twitches. I can't seem to get this effect with FC line because of its lack of buoyancy.
Old 03-22-12, 05:29 AM   #5
kennethdaysale

I have been fishing LOTS of weightless worms for the past couple of years, as a matter of fact-deep hooking too many fish was the problem that prompted me to join this forum last year. I am an outspoken fan of mono especially Sufix. Last week during Academy's Grand Opening I bought a spool of #12 Seaguar Invisx (i really want to like fluoro) and spooled it on my fav weightless rig (my trusty CuradoE and a Bucoo MH Micro 7').
Anyway....the line cast like a dream and even though I might have argued before that I could feel them breath on my #12 sufix mono, I was truelly impressed with the Seaguar. Not only could I feel the worm gently rub against individual grains of sand (not really but you get the point) my hooksets were noticably "crisper". I did have 3 hookset line snaps (one at the knot) but considering the # of fish I caught vs mono (subjective) I probably netted an overall gain.
Old 03-22-12, 07:54 AM   #6
IowaBasser

You guys are pissing me off... I really want to not like fluoro. I don't want to re-spool my current reels and buy more line... and I thought that with a quality braid (Suffix 832) I didn't think I was giving up anything except a little bit of line visibility. I figured it I could fix the visibility issue by just tying on a leader.

I fish a fair amount of weightless worms and flukes. I always used something like 10 pound spider-wire or fire-line. Now I'm having to re-think my line choices.

As always, thanks for the opinions.

P.S. I don't want to hijack this thread, but does anyone fish flouro-carbon on spinning reels?

Last edited by IowaBasser; 03-22-12 at 08:10 AM.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 08:05 AM   #7
MIbasser

Another vote for 12lb FC here.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 10:46 AM   #8
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post

P.S. I don't want to hijack this thread, but does anyone fish flouro-carbon on spinning reels?
I know several people on here do, but it's really difficult to use anything over about 12lb fluoro on a spinning reel....it has a tendency to jump off the spool because of its stiffness. A lot of people use maybe 20lb braid as a mainline with a fluoro leader for this reason.
I'm no expert on it, but that's the info I've gathered on here....
Old 03-22-12, 10:57 AM   #9
WatterBoy

Quote:
You guys are pissing me off... I really want to not like fluoro. I don't want to re-spool my current reels and buy more line... and I thought that with a quality braid (Suffix 832) I didn't think I was giving up anything except a little bit of line visibility. I figured it I could fix the visibility issue by just tying on a leader.

I fish a fair amount of weightless worms and flukes. I always used something like 10 pound spider-wire or fire-line. Now I'm having to re-think my line choices.

I fish FC on spinning reels all the time, anywhere from 6 to 12 pound test, but typically I keep it at 10 pound test and under. I use Seaguar InvisX. It is WAAAAAAAY more sensitive than mono, at least in my opinion.

And as far as the OP's question goes, I fish weightless worms (and dropshot) over half of my time on the water (at least I did until I learned how to jig 'n pig late last year! ). Anyway, I use FC exclusively when I do this, see my prior comments above. I set the hook like a crazy man when I get a bite and I've never had any line or knot breakage issues with InvisX.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 11:13 AM   #10
Jrob78

My spinning reel has 2 spools. I always keep 8lb fluoro on one of them. The other I keep spooled with 10lb Sufix braid. I would guess that most people who finesse fish with spinning gear use a light fluoro or at the very least, braid with a fluoro leader.
Old 03-22-12, 12:21 PM   #11
MIbasser

Quote:
On my 2 tube rods I use 10lb Invisx FC. I also use a 2500 size reel. Most guys want to save weight and go with really small reels and they are the one's that have issues with it jumping off (but they will say how great of a combo they have because it's so light).
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 02:54 PM   #12
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

I use 12 lb P-Line Floroclear. Floroclear is mono with a fluorocarbon coating-the best of both worlds and MUCH less expensive that pure fluoro. I use this line for all mono apps except topwater since fluorocarbon sinks. This line is abrasion resistant yet handles like a dream. After trying MANY different lines, and I do mean many, a buddy turned me on to this line and I haven't looked back.
Old 03-22-12, 06:08 PM   #13
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Fluorocarbon is the only choice in this particular situation. Its going to do better on rocky bottoms, twisted up structures and around rip rap because its more abrasion resistant. It does better in all waters because its less visible. Its sensitive so you can tell more about what your bait is pulling across and when you have a bite. Its going to sink to keep your plastics on the bottom. I started using Vicious Brand pure fluorocarbon this year and so far I really like it. I use it in 6lb, 10lb & 15lb test.

I personally use only 3 types of line: Mono, Fluoro & Braid. I don't use any of the "superlines" or blends of lines. If I want floatation like on my topwaters I'll use mono and also on a floating worm rig. If I want for all the reasons above I'll use Fluoro & I have 2 heavy rods set up with Braid: 1 is for jig pitching & 1 is for Frogs. The braid is great when you are in heavy dense cover (heavy limbs or vegitation). Something is going to hit the bait hard and run with it on top or its going to be in some nasty tangled up mess underneath so either way its tough and strong. I don't like it any other time because it has no stretch quality and doesn't have the sensitivity that I want.

But use whatever you have confidence in or just feels right....
Old 03-22-12, 07:21 PM   #14
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If you really don't like FC, go with a good low-stretch fluoro/nylon coplaymer. P-line Floroclear, and Yo-Zuri are both good ones. 14 - 16 pound is what I'd go with.
Old 03-22-12, 11:54 PM   #15
skeeter1804

I use 10 or 12 lb Suffix mono for weightless worms. I just haven't found a knot that doesn't break on hooksets with fluorocarbon so I quit using it.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 12:29 AM   #16
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter1804 View Post
I use 10 or 12 lb Suffix mono for weightless worms. I just haven't found a knot that doesn't break on hooksets with fluorocarbon so I quit using it.

Think about it this way, 100's of pro's out there using FC, it's what they use to make their living, pay the bills, feed the kids.

If FC was truely that poor of line, do you think they would trust their livelyhood to it.

You may need to evaluate why you are having so many break offs.
Old 03-23-12, 03:05 AM   #17
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I see where all of you are coming from with FC to get it to bottom and I would try that. But if you want it to stay up on the surface, I would stick with the mono IMO.

Everything has its time and place.
Old 03-23-12, 06:51 AM   #18
Mumpy

10# FC here
Old 03-23-12, 10:44 AM   #19
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I see where all of you are coming from with FC to get it to bottom and I would try that. But if you want it to stay up on the surface, I would stick with the mono IMO.

Everything has its time and place.
I agree with you, when I am fishing a soft plastic jerkbait, I normally like to fish it on or near the surface. I always use copoly for this, it floats and I can kill the bait without worrying about it sinking too far too fast.

I do prefer fluoro for Senkos and weightless finesse worm applications though. Like you said, everything has its time and place.
Old 03-24-12, 07:40 AM   #20
rrw4258

I use two different lines for my Senko fishing. In super shallow (4' & less) I use 16 lb. Sunline Super Natural Mono so the bait does not sink too fast. In deeper water (5-15 feet) I use 12-14 lb. Sunline Sniper or Shooter. The fluorocarbon sinks which makes it the best choice for keeping contact with the bait in deeper water.

Ryan

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.