Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-27-06, 08:35 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default As some of you know........

Being that I am old school alot of you know it takes awhile for me to change up my way of thinking. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Well I finally jumped on the bandwagon about using florocarbon line for cranking. Well it looks like I have been missing out on some good action. Since using the floro I definatley feel the crank better and I do know I am getting baits a little deeper using the floro. Hooksets are GREAT using the floro. I don't seem to loose as many fish using the floro due to the fact that I get a better hookset and as well dont miss the fish as I would using braid because of setting the hook to fast. Just thought I would let ya'll know that YES you can teach an old dog new tricks.....................sometimes you gotta beat it into my head but I eventually listen.
Old 11-27-06, 08:38 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i've never tried it, what brand ya recommend?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-06, 08:39 AM   #3
1FASTLASER

Well as you know I have been fishing P-Line for years now so I went with the P-Line Floro. So far cant complain at all. All I have is good things to say about P-Line and there products.
Old 11-27-06, 06:17 PM   #4
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm glad you are having good luck with it. I was using vanish line but didnt like it. Might try the P-line.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-06, 09:26 PM   #5
1FASTLASER

I always recommend P-Line products. Been fishing them now for many many moons and pound for pound NOTHING compares to there product.
Old 11-27-06, 09:30 PM   #6
JB

I'll try some, is this one you use?
Old 11-27-06, 09:39 PM   #7
1FASTLASER

Thats it buddy. Thats the line of lines.
Old 11-27-06, 10:07 PM   #8
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I gave fluoro a shot, using the Vanish, and was not happy at all, might give that P-Line a try.

The vanish performed exceddingly well on my first outing with it, fishing in the back of a buddies boat, same lure, same presentation...different results, I was scoring big time. Second trip...not so well, every time I went to set the hook, be it a gentle sweep or a get-back, uh! (with my bad self), the line broke. In a tournament. Off the spool it came!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-06, 11:11 PM   #9
ToPwAt'R GuY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampeoples View Post
I gave fluoro a shot, using the Vanish, and was not happy at all, might give that P-Line a try.

The vanish performed exceddingly well on my first outing with it, fishing in the back of a buddies boat, same lure, same presentation...different results, I was scoring big time. Second trip...not so well, every time I went to set the hook, be it a gentle sweep or a get-back, uh! (with my bad self), the line broke. In a tournament. Off the spool it came!
I had similar results. It just doesnt hold up.
Old 11-28-06, 12:36 AM   #10
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I'm using the same line, 12, 14, & 15 pound test, depends on what reel I am spooling up. I can't put a lot of heavy stuff on my Shim. MG, so I go with 12 on it. By the way, the Shimano MG and the Shimano Crucial are an excellent light weight combo set.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-06, 07:09 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

Any time line breaks for no apparent reason you really need to step back and think abit. 99% of the time you probably bought it at one of the chain stores and/or a big sale at the local tackle shop. The reason its breaking is it has gotten old and been on the shelf to long. I dont care what line it is if its old it's gonna give ya problems. Once you find a line you like buy it in bulk and take care of the line yourself. I buy in 1 lb spools every year. Yes its pricey but I dont worry at all when I set the hook whether or not the line is gonna hold.
Old 11-28-06, 08:02 AM   #12
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Floroclear(TM) is one of my favorites, though more for slow presentations than cranks or spinnerbaits. Be mindful, however, that Floroclear is not one of the "pure" fluoro lines, but a hybrid. Pure flouro, one of which is offered by P-Line, is markedly more expensive.
Re the generally poor reviews of Berkley Vanish or Vanish Transition: I too have little faith.
I purchased some Vanish Transition in 10 and 12 tests two years ago, attracted by the promise of hi-visibility (above surface) when the line is wet. I spooled it on some Chronarch50MG and 'Rado 100B reels (w/wiffle conversion) and was quite disappointed.
The VT tended to spring off the spool and I experienced a few instances of knot failure; moreso than with Floroclear or my leaders (with braid) made from P-Line's excellent leader material (LEADER! Not fluoro line.)
I have not used any "pure" fluoros, except for the purpose-formulated leader material, since I fish my slow/soft stuff on braid with a fluoro leader. Exception: I do use Floroclear OR the super-tough P-Line CXX for some slow/soft presentations, usually under dingy water/low light conditions.
New fluoro users, (not you,JB. The newbies,) might wish to read my post in the thread linked below, regarding braid/leaders, and pay close attention to just how critical knot-tying is when using any form of fluoro, to include Floroclear, BTW.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=10181

Ya'll have a nice day!

F.Rod
Opinionated Old Grouch
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-06, 08:15 AM   #13
JB

Thanks for the input you guys, it may lessen my learing curve when I get it..I'm happy with the braid I'm using, but plan on replacing 2 mono spools and give this Pline a try!
Old 11-28-06, 07:05 PM   #14
ToPwAt'R GuY

I picked some up this afternoon. I'll give it the test this weekend.
Old 11-28-06, 10:25 PM   #15
Rodman_Rob

i love fluro especially in clear waters and more so when the bass are timid. its an excellent choice when using live bait as well as it makes your presentation that much more natural. I've only used the berkley fluro and vanish transition. both had more memory than I like, especially the transition. i'll have to give the pline fluro a try to see if I like it any better.
Old 11-29-06, 06:39 PM   #16
HulaPopr

Floroclear is probly my favorite line. Whenever fishing clear water, finnesse fishing, or throwing just about anything with treble hooks, thas what I go with. I didn't realize this many people use it.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 03:49 PM   #17
thebus71h
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

From what I understand just sitting isn't near as hard on the line as the sun is. For what it's worth, I fish mono, and my father in law fishes mainly with floro. He catches more fish than me cause he knows what the hell he's doing (we mainly flip and pitch near banks), but when we go offshore and crank, I'll catch just as many fish as he does.

I've tried it once, and wasn't a fan of it breaking twice after having it spooled up for only a week, and using it twice. I'd give the P-Line a try to see how that reacts, but the sunlight is the worst enemy for floro fishing line from my understanding. It makes it very brittle, and breaks easily. Anymore all I use is P-line CXX mono, and that stuff is amazing, but I think I'll give this floro a shot.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 07:40 PM   #18
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
Floroclear(TM) is one of my favorites, though more for slow presentations than cranks or spinnerbaits. Be mindful, however, that Floroclear is not one of the "pure" fluoro lines, but a hybrid. Pure flouro, one of which is offered by P-Line, is markedly more expensive.
Re the generally poor reviews of Berkley Vanish or Vanish Transition: I too have little faith.
I purchased some Vanish Transition in 10 and 12 tests two years ago, attracted by the promise of hi-visibility (above surface) when the line is wet. I spooled it on some Chronarch50MG and 'Rado 100B reels (w/wiffle conversion) and was quite disappointed.
The VT tended to spring off the spool and I experienced a few instances of knot failure; moreso than with Floroclear or my leaders (with braid) made from P-Line's excellent leader material (LEADER! Not fluoro line.)
I have not used any "pure" fluoros, except for the purpose-formulated leader material, since I fish my slow/soft stuff on braid with a fluoro leader. Exception: I do use Floroclear OR the super-tough P-Line CXX for some slow/soft presentations, usually under dingy water/low light conditions.
New fluoro users, (not you,JB. The newbies,) might wish to read my post in the thread linked below, regarding braid/leaders, and pay close attention to just how critical knot-tying is when using any form of fluoro, to include Floroclear, BTW.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=10181

Ya'll have a nice day!

F.Rod
Opinionated Old Grouch
Good perception as usual This is the only line I use(FlouroCLEAR) other than Powerpro, and Fireline Well I guess I did just buy some 15lb Ande, that I haven't put on yet, but the monkey made me do it

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.