Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-06, 03:47 AM   #1
bigboss
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to bigboss
Default pig n jig

i was fishing 2 day at lafayette resivor at the handycap dock and i came 2 a good reed line that looked productive...i tied on my pig n jig and started flippin n pitchin. i must have hit every crease and crack in the reed line but didnt get one bite..i tried using scent and everything but nothing worked...any siggestions?

my second question is during the "yoyo" technique how high should you lift it, does it work only for vertical jigging, and how many times should you "yoyo" it?
bigboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 06:47 AM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

#1- What is a reed ? You will have to figure out what types of plants the bass orient to.Here Milfoil is the #1 plant to find because you will find all types of fish holding in it.Not because of the weed itsself, but because of the bottom substance it grows in attracts the fish to it.

#2- What type of bottom substance did it have ? When you pulled the jig up did it stir up alot of debri off the bottom or didn't you notice a cloud of botom substance form where your jig was ?Fish will hold in silt, or muddy stretches, but you find the cleaner hard bottom areas, you will find more fish.

#3- What time of day was it ? I would bet dusk and dawn,or cloudy dark overcast days, you could possibly pull fish from that shallow stretch of water, they tend to move up closer, but as the day brightens, they most likely will pull back into deeper water if thats all they got.Also boat position is very important.I know you were on foot, but was the sun casting your shadow over the same stretch you were fishing ? Bass survive by instinct and if a shadow is moving about where their holding, your not going to catch them as easily.

#4-What lure did you catch the majority of fish on ? First you have got to determine what the bass want, not what you want to fish.If your catching them on a spinnerbait, topwater, crankbait, senko. You might be wasting your time throwing a jig.Notice how the gripper teeth feel as you thumb the bass to retreive your lure from its mouth.If the gripper teeth are sharp, throw the jig back in your tackle pack and tie on a crankbait, spinnerbait, senko, jerkbait type bait. If the gripper teeth are dull, or not noticable at all, drop everything else and tie the jig back on.

There are so many different things that go into putting a jig pattern together at times. And then there are days when you can't go wrong when throwing one.Remember when you are trying to learn the only stupid question is one that was not asked.I do beleive I can catch a fish on a jig any day, any time of year, even though it may not be what the majority of the fish wants, you will always find a fish that will take the jig. Pay attention to what is happening, check the gripper teeth and you will key in what patterns the bass really are on. I didn't mention the gripper teeth thing since the last time here , because it raised such a debate.I really beleive it works, although there is no evidence to prove it. Its just something my dumb hillbilly *** noticed while I am always trying to learn new things while I am fishing. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 12:03 PM   #3
skeeter944

also,if the bass has a red top lip,it is bottom feeding,so try jigs and maybe plastic worms fished on a texas rig. i think that pnj answered your question dead on.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 08:33 PM   #4
bigboss
BassFishin.Com Member

what about the technique? does yoyoing work at a distance or does it have to be fished vertically? and when hopping the pnj how have you guys had good success?
Old 12-04-06, 09:10 PM   #5
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

IF the water is really that cold you shouldnt be fishing around the docks you should be out in middle 10-20 ft water and sink that **** right up in there. find them weed lines / drop offs any structure on the bottom !!!
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 10:08 PM   #6
bigboss
BassFishin.Com Member

the water wasnt that cold .but not only that , its a small lake and its one of the best spots
Old 12-05-06, 06:28 PM   #7
pig n jig

BigBoss, I told you once before how I fish a jig. You did not listen to what I had to say.I cannot go and hold your hand while your out on the left coast fishing, when I am on the right Coast sitting here reading your posts because my bass season has closed for the year.

You are obviously intelligent enough to think on your own, your going to college. I answered your posts as best as I can type what I am trying to teach you.What you have to do is filter through what I've typed out and apply what you think will work for you.

Jig fishing rules

Rule #1- You have to be confident that the jig will catch a fish every cast, pitch, or flip you make with the jig. The truth is, that it will seldom be the case, but think positive every time you make a jig presentation, think a fish is going to be there.

If you are not confident the jig will catch fish, cut the jig off and throw it in the trash can. Tie something else on, go fish and forget about learning to fish with jigs.

Rule #2- You must catch a fish in order to figure out what the fish want.Therefore you will need two rigged rods. A rod rigged with a jig and a rod rigged with a weightless senko.

Alternate fishing the 2 rigged outfits until you catch a fish.Note one fishes the upper water colum, one fishes the bottom presentation. Once you catch a fish alternating those 2 lures through the same areas, your on you way to knowing when and when not to fish the 2 types of presentations. Once you figure out what type of lure to use you can alter different lures to see if one works better on a given day.

upper water colum presentation lures.weightless Senko, super fluke types, topwater baits, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, frogs, hard stick baits, rattle traps....

bottom presentation lures- Jigs, worms, tube baits,creature baits......

I hope this helps, Forgive me if I am confusing,but there are no set rules for fishing. However, there is if you want to catch fish. The fish decide what the rules are. You have to keep an open mind and figure out what type of lure presentation the fish want to commit to.I wish you lived near me, I would be glad to teach you everything I know , it would be alot easier if we were fishing out of the same boat , rather than typing random thoughts trying to guess on what would have worked best for you when in fact each time you go fishing most likely will be different than the time before. P N J
Old 12-06-06, 08:33 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Well buddy u pretty well laid it out in black and white. Hey PNJ have u had any luck with the chatterbait? Just wondering.
Old 12-06-06, 05:32 PM   #9
pig n jig

Laser, Lizardsrule sent me a chatterbait and I really like it alot.I bought the Gambler version and also had good luck with that brand as well.The thing I have found is the slower you can fish it, the better it catches fish.I haven't had many days of fishing them, but I caught fish every time I have thrown them.I think once I learn more about how to use them, they will be tied on from the get go. P N J
Old 12-07-06, 07:08 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Yeah PNJ thats the case for me/ I dont know the intracasies of the bait yet to fully realize the potential. As time goes on it will be more of a staple in the boat. I do like the idea and its action....there have been times that I have wanted a bait like this....glad someone was smart enough to make one. I also use the off brand ones at present but am cutting some plades to try and change up the baits a bit. You know me I cant leave well enough alone.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.