Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-23-08, 11:29 PM   #1
tpttooter946
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile Great Fishing Quote

Many men go fishing all their lives not realizing that it's not the fish they're after.

Henry David Thoreau

Thoughts????
Old 11-23-08, 11:31 PM   #2
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i go to get away and relax.
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 11:38 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I fish to relax and unwind from the work day. When my son is old enough, I will fish to spend quality time with him and to have those father/son talks.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 11:48 PM   #4
tpttooter946
BassFishin.Com Member

I like the deepness of this quote. I really analyze myself and my actions more when I am on the water than I do during the regular days.
Old 11-24-08, 12:11 AM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've said many times, I don't fish for fish-I fish for fishin'. Most if not all here understand exactly what I mean.
Old 11-24-08, 06:35 PM   #6
Fish2win

Fishingolf said "I fish to relax and unwind from the work day. When my son is old enough, I will fish to spend quality time with him and to have those father/son talks."

That is why I fish2win. Winningis not just money, Its al kinds of things that have value money cant buy. I fish for the sport, the relaxation and the quality time with my boys.
Fish2win
Fish2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 06:56 PM   #7
zooker

man versus beast..it is simple to prove to your self "YOU CAN" do it.the pics are proof to any nay sayers...

zooker
Old 11-24-08, 10:47 PM   #8
flbassman

Zook definitely has a point. There's somethin real cool in fishing or huntin when you say, yup, I'm still a predator. I'm at the top of the food chain. And gettin away, relaxin and hanging out with your buddies just makes it better.
Old 11-25-08, 04:50 AM   #9
weezymagic

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic

i have thought about still being the alpha-species. Fishing to me is a very deep thing. its not really a hobby or a way of life. its apart of my life. I do fish to relax, to get away from all the fast moving and drama and stress of various thoughts. When i fish, i am usually smoking a cigar or cigarrettes (i am of age and i do not advocate these actions to anyone. anyways...) and pondering. i think about everything. i reflect on past actions and events. i ask myself am i doing good as a person, as a bofriend, as a son, etc. i often wonder about my future and my life to come. When i think of the future, i would love to start a family with my girlfriend and have kids. whether my kids are boys or girls, i think i would like to have a relationship with my kids and fishing is a great activity for adults and children. One of my best friends goes fishing with me and we always have more meaningful and useful conversations while fishing. I am always wanting to catch fish but beneath the obvious, those are my thoughts.

+rep to tpttooter946, i love philosophy and henry david thoreau
weezymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 08:43 AM   #10
Mac2

I used to live for the moment of catching a fish......now, being older, I live between fish...

I also like the quotation........"And God does not deduct, from a man's lifespan, the time he spends quietly fishing..."

And another from John Steinbeck... something to the effect that "If a man pits his mind against that of a fish, and the fish wins, he had it coming."
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 10:18 AM   #11
doc

Here is one I find particulary funny, being from the south.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.'
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 12:40 PM   #12
Lilmoosecountry

It's spiritual for me. I know somtimes i don't act like it. But i'm trying to be a better person. But on the water i am a diffrent person. It's about be with one with my father. It's about enjoying his creation. I think there a few christian brothers that know what i'm trying say.
Old 11-25-08, 02:54 PM   #13
woody

When I fish, I sense that which really matters.

Woody
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 04:56 PM   #14
mont_lunker_hunter

When i go fishing, it reminds my wife of everything else i could be doing.
Old 11-25-08, 05:13 PM   #15
Earl Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
It's spiritual for me. I know somtimes i don't act like it. But i'm trying to be a better person. But on the water i am a diffrent person. It's about be with one with my father. It's about enjoying his creation. I think there a few christian brothers that know what i'm trying say.
I know exactly What you are talking about. Its all about the main man above.
Earl Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 10:12 PM   #16
bamabassman

i have to say it is EVERYTHING mentioned here. god, nature, the beast, all rolled into one. relaxing, time to think and plot the next move in fishing, life and everything. it is MY time to do it all. even if it is just in my head. it helps me figure out alot of things.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 08:14 PM   #17
CMorg

I dont even know why I go fishing
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 09:34 PM   #18
doughboy
BassFishin.Com Member

I like the challenge and being outdoors.
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 01:55 PM   #19
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Yup. Sure do. I feel that way when fishing and golfing. Just enjoying nature and the beauty that He created.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 02:06 PM   #20
ROBZILLA

Well dont forget my own famous quote.

Hang them high till the gills go dry!
Old 12-02-08, 11:53 PM   #21
Rebbasser

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Marshall View Post
I know exactly What you are talking about. Its all about the main man above.

I truely believe the Good Lord has a soft spot for us fishermen. After all, the first four disciples were all fishermen.
Old 12-03-08, 09:29 AM   #22
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm a huge river fisherman who floats mostly. Here's what's up in my office:

Tips for Fishing and Life
• On high-competition smallie rivers, he who castest the mostest, usually catches the mostest. Keep yer danged lure in the river! Converse: If you don’t want to catch dinks, don’t throw to dink water.
• There is no magic lure … just magic moments … so never be ashamed to switch to what your partner is slayin’ ‘em on that day. And always be willing to share your killer baits with your partner. But consider fishing with someone else if he constantly bums baits he knows he should have brought based on previous trips.
• If you ain’t eddy-turnin’ below every drop to fish the hole with the roar of the rapids in yer ears, buy a jetboat and go fish something flat, you just ain’t a floatfisherman.
• Fishing with people you love is only about a billion times more important than catching fish in front of people you love.
• Losing a big smallie shouldn’t break your heart; it should thrill it … once you learn the truism that when the smallie wins so do you, you’ll really understand why it is a better gamefish than a largemouth.
• Never, ever draw to an inside straight, and get it through your thick head that jacks over is NOT a winning hand in seven card stud if at least two other people call.
• If you haven’t camped on an island in the middle of a smallie river, you haven’t encountered the river in all its grandeur. Do a genuine overnight float this year.
• If is true that watching a kid catch an 11-inch smallie is infinitely more enjoyable than catching a 15-inch smallie yourself, so if you wanna have fun, take a kid fishing.
• Bass-lip thumb is a wonderful and painless ailment that will go away tomorrow; catch some fish, even if they ain’t bigguns.
• A broken rod or frozen reel is not the end of the world. Either one without a backup in the boat is.
• If throwing cigarette butts into the river doesn’t make you feel guilty, it should. So carry an empty film canister as your personal ashtray. But never tell the on-smokers who appreciate you doing so that it’s mainly to keep yourself from feeling bad.
• The classic “shore lunch” is the single greatest waster of fishing time ever devised. Gobble your sandwich and get back to fishin’ … better yet, cast between bites.
• The current is your FRIEND. Fight not with your friend; rather, juxtapose strengths to achieve harmony.
• Wind is your ENEMY, no matter where it’s coming from. Curse it. Loud. Often.
• The River Gods are impartial yet capricious. Know ye that one day they will screw with ye, and the next shine upon thee. Accept this, and just fish.
• Give a man a fish and he’ll burn dinner. Teach a man to fish and he’ll flip your canoe – after forgetting to bring sandwiches.
• Adversity becomes adventure upon fond remembrance.
• Weather only counts when you’re in it … and with the right attitude, not even then.
• Don’t stop my boat to take time and smell the roses … but if you don’t retrieve blindly in order to watch the deer, you need to get your mind right.
• Speaking of that, there are lots of critters to enjoy while on the river. Maybe that’s why they call it a “fish hook” rather than a “critter hook”.
• God won’t subtract from your total the number of days spent on the river … but he’ll punish you for every single hour spent drinking the night before!
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 09:48 AM   #23
woody

It sure is nice to meet ya Hookup, Join the clubWoody
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 11:26 AM   #24
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Woody

Right back at ya!
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 02:21 PM   #25
Wishing2BFishing

• On high-competition smallie rivers, he who castest the mostest, usually catches the mostest. Keep yer danged lure in the river!

Very true . . . Gotta' keep at it and not stop.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.