Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-06, 01:45 AM   #1
BigNiner19
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to BigNiner19
Default Fishing Line---Bass

Down here in south florida fishing for large mouth bass and peacock bass out on Lake Osborne a lot and I've been having a lot of luck...However...I been struggling with fishing line...Im kind of out of the loop with fishing line, but I was curious to see what most of you all use. I like to use a light pound test line because its easier to cast...but I need something that is easier to tie a lure on with. Im using stren 8lb test line right now and it casts well and all but it takes me a solid 5 or 6 attemtps at tying a strong knot. Ill tie up perfect clinch knots and they will snap with just a little bit of pressure....I have mostly saltwater fished my entire life, so Im used to dealing with much heavier line...and never had any issues. Any suggestions?

Cory
BigNiner19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 08:12 AM   #2
grug
BassFishin.Com Member

Switch from a clinch knot to a Trilene Knot. Two wraps around the hook eye/5 turns around the main line/slide tag end thru the 2 loops you made in the eye and pull on both tag and main line, after wetting with some saliva. wont have knot problems anymore.

Or a Palomar Knot, but that uses alot of line and gets gangly when tying on a spook or spinnerbait in my opionion..

Retie often too with 8lb line, especially when chucking and reeling faster moving baits.

Tight Lines!
grug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 10:15 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

if your in to salt water also you know this stuff ande a better mono is hard to find. using ande braid an calcutta ultra braid also handles alot a like totally hate power pro.

it could be old line. it does get dry rot if not stored properly..
jackl turned me on to storing it in a freezer, it works. ole jackl is a very elder man with over 50 years of bass fishing experiance behind him.. if he says it belive it..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 07-02-06 at 01:07 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 10:44 AM   #4
WarEagle
BassFishin.Com Member

Use a braided line. As small of a diameter as you can get away with. It will cast a mile, and tying a strong knot should be no problem.

I use Sufix braid in the 3lb diameter on several of my spinning reels.

WAR
Old 07-02-06, 12:41 PM   #5
Rebbasser

Are you wetting your knot before you pull it tight? If not, that may be your problem, especially with mono. If you don't wet your line friction from pulling it tight will weaken it to the point it will snap like sewing thread.
Old 07-02-06, 12:55 PM   #6
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've fished osborne. Great lake. Ever fish Ida?
Old 07-02-06, 02:53 PM   #7
Christopherkeene9

Get some 10 lb. fire line and then some 15 lb. Ande mono and then put a small section of 15 (2 - 3 ft.) as a leader and attatch it to the fire line via a double uni-knot, You should know that as a saltwater angler.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 06:37 PM   #8
BigNiner19
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to BigNiner19

thanks for the responses all...Ill test out some stuff and maybe get the hang of this light weight line stuff...

cc
BigNiner19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 07:01 PM   #9
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

IMO,(and i have only been bass fishing 20+years), i have tried over a dozen times to put a mono leader on power pro(using the double uni knot) just to see if it works.every time the braided line sliced through the mono like a hot knife through butter.
i have no idea why you could possibly want to put a mono leader on braided.these are 2 different types of lines for 2 completely different applications.the only time they should be used together is on a carolina rig where there is a swivel between the lines.
you should not be using braided line in clear water(IMO)...unless it is a very thin light braided.braided is for fishing the nasty stuff or c-rig where you need the sensitivity.you can listen to other anglers that say to do it if you want to.i guess they have much more experience with it than i do.like i said i have only been bassin just over 20 years and i may not know what the h*** i'm talking about.
i'm sure a few of the anglers that have been bassin maybe 6 months to 2 years know much more than i do.
Old 07-02-06, 08:06 PM   #10
zooker

tom
i have to point out ck said FIRELINE not braid. fireline is a fused copolymar line the uni knot described by ck will work. kind like linking florocarbon with mono. it WILL work!!!
on the other hand tom you are correct braid chews thru mono like a chain saw.. the uni knot will NOT work with braid. nor will a bunch of other types of knots work between the two.. i personly have tried the blood and nail knots with braid and mono. both failed..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.