Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-06-05, 05:46 PM   #1
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983
Default best lure non/topwater

In your opinions or experience what non topwater and non plastic (worms, lizards, etc.) that are snagless work best in heavy weeds. Also on a bait caster what do you think would be a better line, braid or florocarbon?

Thanks
Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 06:42 PM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: best lure non/topwater

[quote author=bassinbob link=board=news;num=1105044394;start=0#0 date=01/06/05 at 15:46:33]In your opinions or experience what non topwater and non plastic (worms, lizards, etc.) that are snagless work best in heavy weeds. Also on a bait caster what do you think would be a better line, braid or florocarbon?

Thanks
Bob[/quote]

Just say my name out loud, and that should answer your question from my perspective anyways, fished weightless. I would suggest lots of scent when fishing the weeds, as it helps it slither across them(any plastic you choose, use the scent). I won't comment on the baitcaster, there are too many other folks here that use them more than I do.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 07:00 PM   #3
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

There's no such thing as a best lure!All lures are tools,it just depends on how you use them.
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 07:14 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have to go with nick on this one lures are like wrenches if you work on your own car you know that one wrench is never enough. same with tackle.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 09:18 PM   #5
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

There is no "best" anything. But you asked about non-topwater and non-plastic snagless, and the only thing that comes to mind at the moment is a weedless spoon, the Johnson Silver Minnow being perhaps the best-known.

If your weeds aren't too thick and you can use a semi-snagless lure, then I'd definitely throw a spinnerbait into the mix.

P.S. Another snagless non-plastic would be a skirted jig with weedguard.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 09:24 PM   #6
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I'm suprised noone said this yet, but jigs are great for heavy cover. There is no such thing as the "best" lure for a situation, each lure is used differently for different purposes, I don't know why you'd limit yourself from using soft plastics. As far as the braided vs. fluoro goes, both can be used on baitcasters for different purposes. If you're fishing heavy weeds, you'd want to go with some braided, it slices through weeds really well and won't break.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 09:46 PM   #7
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

A good clear choice for weeds Hula. ;D ;D ;D You had better use braid in the thick stuff, braid cuts through weeds better than the mono. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 10:13 PM   #8
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Best- sorry. preferred- spinnerbait. As long as its moving the snag ratio is pretty low. Unless your talking about just dropping down a grass mat or something. Line- you're gonna get a ton of answers for that. I use braid on all my rods. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 12:21 AM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

If I had to pick one I'd also go with a jig-n-pig. For any lure that depends on feel for detecting bites I use 50 lb PowerPro braid-for worms, jigs, Carolina rigs and flipping.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 12:58 AM   #10
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

No best. My favorite is the scum frog, but since u ruled out TW, i would go with the Jig-N-Pig
And most definitly braid. I have PowerPro on almost all my rods. I really do not use mono or flourocaebon but for a very few applications.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 02:31 AM   #11
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

Sorry guys I really didn't mean best. What I should have said is any lure that works. I also do not rule out plastics because I do good with plastics. Being fairly new to bass fishing plastics are what I started with and they have worked great. I needed to know because as I build up my lure supply I didn't want to buy anything that wouldn't work in that perticular situation (weeds). I also did great on buzz baits and other top water lures. I can't wait to use suspending lures and since jigs were mentioned those also. For about 45 years all I fished for were walleyes. I can't say I wasted my time but bass fishing is so much more (to me) rewarding and fun. To experience a top water hit is something I hope to do for many more years. Thanks for all the replys.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 06:07 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

well now that ya done did narrow it down just a tad spinner bait any where and every were there is vegataion.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.