Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-05, 10:05 PM   #1
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983
Default Help needed for light weight plastics

Well since the weather was pretty nice here in Pa. I spooled up the new Curado SF and mated it to my new Kistler Helium LTA 7ft. MH. The Curado was a Christmas present along with a spool of 15lb. test floro. I practiced yesterday with a 3/8oz. bullit sinker and a 6in. lizard. After about 30 casts and 30 birdnests I think I got the hang of it. Today i took off the sinker and just used the lizard. That didn't work at all. I have 4 brakes on and need to try some other combinations. I've read other posts on the subject but are there any methods for casting light weight plastics. I think a senko or tiki-stik would work out ok. My guess is to practice but any hints or short cuts would help out.

Thanks,
Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 11:26 PM   #2
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman
Default Re: Help needed for light weight plastics

BOB,
Try setting your curado with three on/three off. I have found that to be the best combination on my Curado's. Also, the factory bearings are packed with light grease that is not conducive to casting light lures. I would suggest that you get a 1/4 oz or 3/8 oz weight and cast that a couple hundred times to "wear in" the fit of the reel parts, then clean the bearings with lighter fluid or lacquer thinner and re-lube with either Zebco "Hot Sauce" or "Rocket Fuel" lubricant. Also, I would change the line to Berkley "Extra Limp" line. I think that the flurocarbon line may be a little stiff for light lures. Also, You should mate the Curado with a more limber rod for light lures. I think that the MH rod is a little stiff for trying to cast plastics weightless.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-05, 11:34 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Bob, you are correct-a senko type bait is no problem. They cast real well. For lighter baits I find I can cast them better on a short rod. I throw a weightess soft plastic like a finesse worm on a 5'6" pistol grip rod without too much trouble, but with a longer rod it is backlash city. If I don't have that rod handy I just use a spinning rod.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 08:37 AM   #4
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

For very small, light lures, a split shot rig or modified Carolina rig works great. I've thrown 1 1/2" Fish S Fish this way.

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 09:19 AM   #5

I am just the opposite on the short rod. Sure if you use the rod's tip to throw you will get a backlash. I fish a weightless worm or finesse bait almost exclusively here in east Texas. On toledo Bend if you are not fishing a wacky worm in the early spring you ain't catchin many. I build my own rods and currently prefer a 7 1/2 foot heavy action rod. The rod resembles a salt water surf type thing. I USE A TWO HANDED CAST.... i sort of fling it out and because the tip is so heavy I get no backlash. i also use an underhand cast with this same type of rod when fishing jig n' pig. Two things are workin here 1 greater leverage to get the fish headed in the right direction 2 good hook sets also because of the rods length. The reason for the custom build is that i do not know of a manufacturer selling a 7 1/2 foot bass rod comercially that is 1 piece. Questions ? Comments /?
Old 01-03-05, 03:57 PM   #6
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Bassinbob, The lighter the lure the more centrifugal weights you need working.Its just the opposite of what you would think.The lighter lures are a problem because you try to load the rod tip up on the cast resulting in a backlash because the spool is turning faster than the lure can keep the line tight.The heavier lures requier alot less effort to cast because their weight of the lure does the work for you.JackL could also be 100% correct about the new reel bearings being loaded up so they aren't working as well as a used bearings work. When fishing light lures do not cast in one motion, make it two parts of motion. put the rod tip where it would be stop the motion and then cast forward as you normally would. This prevents you from loading the rod tip and causing a backlash.Also adjust the spool tension knob a little tighter until you get more comfortable with the reel. I hope this helps you. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 05:24 PM   #7
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

Thanks guys, all great ideas. Would mono or braid be better for casting light weight baits?

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 07:44 PM   #8
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I throw them on both-it depends on the cover.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 11:10 PM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1104714332;start=0#2 date=01/02/05 at 21:34:25] If I don't have that rod handy I just use a spinning rod.[/quote]

As Cajun repeatedly states, use the right tool for the job. And for weightless plastics(as many will attest is my Favorite way to fish them) a spinning reel is a better tool. Now there are lots of folks who can use a baitcaster effectively with them, but it takes a heck of a lot more experience and effort. When you can cast them farther and easier, whithout any backlashing with a spinning reel. Again you can use a baitcaster, especially if you're good at it, but a spinning reel is a better tool for this application.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 06:04 PM   #10
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards, People buy spinning gear when they have bought everything else and that is all there is left to buy at your favorite swillmart tackle store.I used to think they were a pretty good antenna duct taped to the truck until I bought a real antenna at a yard sale. ;D P N J
Old 01-04-05, 07:47 PM   #11
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

I dont know about the antenna, but I use spinning gear for all my plastics. Still have accuracy and dont have to worry about backlash. Still do practice w/ baitcaster occasionally but for reliability its spinning gear. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 07:54 PM   #12
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

This is your problem, you are fishing a weightless lizard on casting gear with 15lb line. You have little casting distance so you overexert the cast thinking it will buy you more distance, what happens is that the lizard catches air and slows down while the line and spool revolve at a quicker speed, thus causing your birdsnests. Two things to try. Take all the brake weights off and use that little tension knob on the same side as the reel handle near the drag. Free spool the reel and adjust the knob so the bait barely pulls off line by itself. Next keep your thumb near the spool during a cast. Flick out your bait and thumb the spool to slow it down. This takes time to learn but it works well. I throw a ton of light stuff on casting gear. You can decrease the line as well, maybe go to an 8 or 10lb line.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 08:36 PM   #13
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=news;num=1104714332;start=0#9 date=01/04/05 at 16:04:37]Lizards, People buy spinning gear when they have bought everything else and that is all there is left to buy at your favorite swillmart tackle store.I used to think they were a pretty good antenna duct taped to the truck until I bought a real antenna at a yard sale. ;D P N J[/quote]

Yeah the bullseye is still on my back ;D Keep shooting, you'll hit it sooner or later If your backlash doesn't keep you from it that is

Lizards
Old 01-06-05, 10:02 PM   #14
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards, I honestly can't remember the last time I had a backlash.casting reels are just another tool like spinning reels but they are more durable and comfortable to use.They are slower speed which is a plus when fishing certain lures. P N J
Old 01-06-05, 10:57 PM   #15
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i normally use a critter bait or a 4"cuttail worm with a 1/8oz bullet. along rip rap or open water areas i use a 6 foot rod -pool cue- with a older reel. using 12 pound mono.

i work docks with a light action 6 foot spinning rod to skip small finesse worms under docks. some thing that can't be done with a bait caster.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 08:04 AM   #16
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=news;num=1104714332;start=0#13 date=01/06/05 at 20:02:47]Lizards, I honestly can't remember the last time I had a backlash.casting reels are just another tool like spinning reels but they are more durable and comfortable to use.They are slower speed which is a plus when fishing certain lures. P N J[/quote]

OK PNJ, if you want to use your baitcaster for weightless soft plastics I understand ??? But you've stated more than once you fish a PNJ 95% of the time. I fish weightless plastics 75% of the time. I'm not very good with a baitcaster, but that's besides the point. I fish 6" lizards more than anything else. I can assure you and everyone else there's no way you can get the distance on a 6" lizard out of a baitcaster, that you can with a spinning rig. Also skipping weightless plastics, under docks/limbs/etc is sooooo much easier with spinning gear than baitcasters. As for the slower retrieve speed, that may be the case, but I use the rod to move the plastic, not the reel, when fishing weightless, so that has no bearing for me. I agree(finally) that the baitcaster is a better tool in certain applications, but just because you can use one well enough, doesn't mean you should. I stand behind the statement I made, and that for fishing weightless plastics a spinning reel is the BEST TOOL FOR THE JOB. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree ;D

Lizards
Old 01-07-05, 09:00 PM   #17
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards,We do disagree on one thing. The spinning reels retreive more line per turn of the handle than most casting reels. ;D Whatever you use is fine with me as long as you keep fishing and posting here as to what you have learned. You are correct, I do fish a jig 95% of the time maybe safe to say 100% of most times,but there was a time when all I fished were light lures on spinning tackle. Next time your out fishing shallow under docks and such, Fish in the opposite direction from shore in 4ft.- 8ft depth range. P N J

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.