Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-13-05, 01:42 PM   #1
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default cold fronts

When a cold front moves through, but it stays cloudy and drizzly for a few days, does it affect the fish as severely as a cold front does when it is sunny and dry right after?
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 02:25 PM   #2
WaterWolf_MN
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: cold fronts

I dont think it affects them.I think they act like before a cold front.
WaterWolf_MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 04:56 PM   #3
United_Bass_._Com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to United_Bass_._Com

I dont think it affects them as much. IMO you should slow down your lure presentation. Cold weather will make fish pull closer to cover.
United_Bass_._Com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 05:27 PM   #4
WaterWolf_MN
BassFishin.Com Member

What if the fish wont bite during the rain before the front?
WaterWolf_MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 07:03 PM   #5
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Hula, I dont think this cold front is going to do much. The weather is still staying pretty warm and the cold is mostly coming at night and only for a few hours. Probably not enough to drop water temps to much. The change in barometric pressure may increase the feeding habits until the front hits. I was out yesterday and had a decent day. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 08:11 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=HulaPopr link=board=news;num=1105634538;start=0#0 date=01/13/05 at 11:42:18]When a cold front moves through, but it stays cloudy and drizzly for a few days, does it affect the fish as severely as a cold front does when it is sunny and dry right after?[/quote]

OK I don't live in Florida, but if it's truly a cold front it will affect them. I did fish in a cold front in FL dec 2003, and it was tough. Even the locals kept saying give it a couple more days. Especially in FL where the water depth is pretty shallow it can turn the fish off. Yes there are always a few who will eat, but it can give them the lock jaw. SLOW DOWN, and keep trying different stuff till you find what they want, and look at the deeper parts of the lake.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 09:10 PM   #7
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Well I'm going to be fishing a river (ST. Johns) on sunday. I'll see whats going on then cause the front is supposed to move through tonight and it might come somewhat back to normal by then. The shad are supposed to be running in this particular area, so the bass may be feeding regardless.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 10:03 PM   #8
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=flfireman link=board=news;num=1105634538;start=0#4 date=01/13/05 at 17:03:28]Hula, I dont think this cold front is going to do much. The weather is still staying pretty warm and the cold is mostly coming at night and only for a few hours. Probably not enough to drop water temps to much. The change in barometric pressure may increase the feeding habits until the front hits. I was out yesterday and had a decent day. 8)[/quote]

It is not actually the sudden temp change with fronts that shut the fish off. it is the barometric pressure changes.Low before the front, and high after the front.Generally the stronger the front, the worse the pressure change. The days with cloudy drizzly days after a cold front SHOULD be better than the high sky days. the pressure does not rise as much.

Good call

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 11:49 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

its susposed to stay in the 50's this weekend. thats a pretty big drop in the weather considering that we have been having highs in the 80's recently. its susposed to stay like that through monday. i would think that would change the water temp. im also goin out this weekend. ill let u guys know how i do
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.