Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-05, 05:02 AM   #1
jason
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jason
Default flippin

whats the technique for flippin, also what type of gear would i need. thanks
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 08:28 AM   #2
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261
Default Re: flippin

[glow=orange,2,300] Flipping and Pitching

Flipping and pitching are short line presentations normally used by pros when working dense cover. They are highly effective presentations when bass are inactive; both have accounted for many victories in many tournaments.

FLIPPING: Flipping was developed to allow the angler to saturate cover with a lure slowly and thoroughly.

WHEN TO FLIP: 1. When bass are inactive following a frontal passage. 2. When bass are tight to shady cover on bluebird days. 3. When bass have been highly pressured, such as on weekends or during a major tournament. 4. When bass aren't responding to more active presentations like crankbaits, spinnerbaits, topwaters, etc. 5. When the water is stained or muddy. 6. In water 5 feet deep or less.

FLIPPING TACKLE: Use a flipping stick ( a collapsible 7 to 7 1/2 foot graphite rod ), and a baitcasting reel with heavy line ( usually 20 to 30 pound test, abrasion resistant mono or any of the new high tech products ). Many pro anglers prefer a special flipping reel with a thumb bar over the spool. If high tech lines are used, use a fiberglass or composite flipping stick to compensate for lack of stretch, since a hard hook set is used with this technique.

FLIPPING LURES: 1. Rubber Legged Jigs. Use jigs from 1/4 to 7/16 oz. These should have a weedguard and be rigged with a pork or plastic trailer ( pork frog, plastic frog, plastic crawfish, plastic lizard, plastic grub, etc. ). 2. Plastic Worms or Lizards: These should be Texas rigged with the sinker pegged ( set in a fixed position next to the lure's head ) via a piece of toothpick or section of spinnerbait skirt material. 3. Spinnerbaits: When bass are holding in dense cover but seem to want a lure with flash as it falls, you can flip a spinnerbait, especially one with a short arm and single blade.

FLIPPING TIPS: 1. Flipping is 100% wrist action. Rely on the leverage of the rod and the pendulum motion of the swinging bait to do most of the work. 2. The importance of a silent lure entry cannot be overemphasized. A loud splash puts bass on alert. 3. Since flipping is normally done in murky to muddy water, a bulky, high visibilty lure is recommended. Dark colors ( black, blue, purple ) are most visible in murky water. Contrasting dark colors ( black/blue, red/purple ) are favorites of many anglers. Of course, your presentation may be further refined by altering the color of the jig's trailer. 4. As the lure falls, use your thumb to gently feather the spool. The lure should drop straight down, so to avoid too much thumb pressure, which will cause the lure to be pulled away from its target.

Robby. [/glow]
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 08:30 AM   #3
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

PITCHING: Pitching might be called long range flipping. It normally is used when bass are on cover, but conditions won't allow flipping.

WHEN TO PITCH: If conditions are tough and the bass are holding tight to cover, but the water is clear to moderately stained, pitching is usually the best presentation since it allows you to stay farther from your target than flipping.

PITCHING TACKLE: Use a collapsible pitching rod, which is usually from 6 feet, 6 inches long to 6 feet, 8 inches long, and the same reel you'd use for flipping. However, because you'll be working in clearer water, use lighter line ( 14 pound test is employed commonly ). Many anglers use spinning tackle to pitch light tube jigs and other small lures to bedding bass in extremely clear water.

PITCHING LURES: Again, because you'll be pitching in clearer water, use slightly smaller, less bulkier lures than you'd use for flipping. Jigs with trailers and plastic worms or lizards are commonly pitched, but you can pitch virtually any artificial, including diving crankbaits. The clearer the water, the more natural your lure should appear to be.

PITCHING TECHNIQUE: 1. Put the reel in free spool and let out a rod's length of line. 2. Hold the lure in your free hand so it's even with your reel. 3. Dip the rod tip toward the water and quickly snap it upward while letting go of the lure. 4. The lure should swing forward toward the target and starts pulling line off the reel, begin lowering the rod tip to control the lure's height off the surface. 5. The lure should fall silently down into the cover. Use your thumb to gently feather the spool as the lure drops.

PITCHING TIPS: 1. With practice and a properly adjusted reel, it's possible to speed up the pitching procedure by not grasping the lure in your hand. Merely dropping the rod tip can put the lure back in motion. 2. Because pitching is used in clearer water, it's a faster technique than flipping. Once your line has left the cover, reel it in quickly and pitch again. 3. If the water is murky to muddy but obstructions such as standing timber prohibit you from getting close enough to flip, try pitching instead.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 04:56 PM   #4
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

I do recommend a 6:1 reel.
Faster in and faster out. More time fishing and less time reeling. I pitch with the same size jig that I flip with. Same line and a 7'6" rod.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 05:14 PM   #5
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Robs got that right about flipping after a front has passed, also flipping and pitching aren't usually as effective when it is windy. Pitching is basically just to get the lure a bit further out there, cause flipping is a very short distance technique. I go with 6:1 reels, faster retrieve allows you to cover more water.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 05:30 PM   #6
randycanfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randycanfish

it should also be said that pitching is quite a bit easier with a spinning reel

atleast that's what i've found.
randycanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 06:52 PM   #7
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

As you can see everyone has their own idea of what when & where flippin & pitchin should be done.I will tell you what works for me.I flip or short pitch 95% of the time I fish everyday, the other 5% is a zara spook jr topwater bait or a spinnerbait but generally flipping no matter what day it is cold front or not.I use 7'6"castaway Bud Pruitt flipping sticks 1 MH & 1 Heavy. I t depends on the reel as to whether you will want a 6.2:1 ratio. Alot of good brand name reels will lock up under flipping pressure.I am talking about $150.00 price range reels, not your basic mid line reels. I use Daiwa TD-1 HI Tournament reels with the Delux pro Hog Handler handles replacing the originals.I use 30lb Tuf Line braid line.I do not use any jig weight but 1/2 oz. and 3/4oz. & 1 oz. jigs.I vary the trailer sizes to control the rate of fall.One key note on jig trailers is that I have found that the small claw craw trailers will produce more than the bigger claw trailers. I do not know why, I have proven it time after time. Jig color does not matter until the fall of the year, Brown color jigs produce alot more than standard colors.Cold front situations, you have to really slow down and fish tighter to cover or you will miss alot of fish. Saturate the heart of the cover with the jig , don't flip around it and expect to get bit.Remind your self the bites are going to be slow compared to most fishing situations until you find where the fish are holding in the weed beds.If you have milfoil weeds, look for the red tassels on the weeds, this is where the plants are producing alot of oxygen which is a high percentage area to fish.I flip & pitch in 4ft -8 ft range as a rule unlees heavy rain or wind has moved them shallower.The reel adjustment is critical on detecting strikes, Your reel should allow the jig to fall free but does not over run on the spool when the jig hits bottom. Hold your rod in front of you as the jig is falling so you can watch the line and the reel spool at the same time.If the line starts moving sideways engage the reel and set the hook, if the line snap jerks at the spool on the fall. engage the reel and set the hook hard, I have found these fish to be the biggest fish caught.There is not a bad day to jig fish unless they are busting bait at the surface, switch to the zara spook jr or what ever you have . I hope this helps you. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 07:17 PM   #8
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

one technique i use on a reservoir near here is get my boat right up into the willow bushes.use a 7 1/2ft heavy rod,50 lb power pro,5/0 EWG hook and a red shad senko.texas rig w/o weight.just drop it straight into the bushes near the roots.shake it a little and wait for a tap.yanked a 7lber out last year,and over 30 others.works well during the spawn.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 07:52 PM   #9
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

flipping also works for me when working trees and docks in a muddy water condition. i use a wooley hawg tail pumkin/chatruse color peg a 1/8 oz bullet on it work slow and close to the trees and dock pilings. i use this if the bass are deep on the outside of the docks only.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.