Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-06, 05:34 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Rear Hook Issues

(I put this post up on another thread but should have created a new thread rather than rambling on . . . )

Anyway, I am having a mental conflict with myself. I changed a bunch of hooks on my other cranks . . . most of them now have size 4 Katsu's. However, some people have told me that this can change the action and/or ruin the wobble. Last year, I changed hooks on my DT-4s (they come with size 6, but I put the larger size 4's on). This size upgrade worked for me. At the end of the season the DT-4s (with the size 4 hooks) were the bomb.

I know that I have asked this before, but do you guys think that the larger hooks on my other crankbaits (including the recently purchased Bandits) will ruin the crankbaits' action?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 05:41 PM   #2
bass kicker

it could and it might not it all depends on the action of the crank bait and the size
Old 03-04-06, 05:48 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You're just going to have to field test them and make the necessary adjustments
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 05:52 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing

JB, you are probably right about the field testing thing. It is just too damn cold right now. I wish I had my own personal pond loaded with bass so I could go outside and know right away whether the larger hooks are going to work out. Ultimately, the best test is whether these cranks will catch the fish.
Old 03-04-06, 05:55 PM   #5
JB

come on over, i got a pond in my back yard , it comes in handy....btw we have relatives in your town...Boudens..ever heard the name?
Old 03-04-06, 05:56 PM   #6
Wishing2BFishing

JB, I would take you up on your offer but I can't find "Parts Unknown" on the map.
Old 03-04-06, 06:00 PM   #7
Wishing2BFishing

JB, you are sure lucky to have a pond in your backyard. Regarding the Boudens, I am not sure that I recognize the name. Although I have lived in Morgantown for the past five years, I am usually in my office in Paoli. What community do your relatives live?
Old 03-04-06, 06:01 PM   #8
JB

I am not sure, their name is art and kat, and they are old, its my wifes aunt and uncle...
the pond comes in handy when you see how the fish relate to weather changes, plus I feed them , and know when they wont eat, the bass probably have lock jaw too..
Old 03-04-06, 06:03 PM   #9
Wishing2BFishing

Morgantown, Pa is a very small town so I will keep my eyes open for the Boudens.

I am still jealous about the pond thing.
Old 03-04-06, 08:28 PM   #10
Marty

My guess is that it wouldn't affect the action, especially when the hooks have been increased by just one size, like from #6 to #4. I just put a pair of #4 trebles on the kitchen scale and the scale barely moved. If the #4 hooks weigh that little, just think how little the difference in weight there would be between the #4 and #6. I just don't understand how the change could affect the action, except perhaps by a whisker, with no change in effectiveness.

That's just an unproved personal opinion.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 08:38 PM   #11
pig n jig

Wishin, I posted on this to you today somewhere else here. Yes it will change the action if you go from a 6 to a 4.Did you know that Gamakatsu makes a size 5 treble hook. It just might be the ticket you are looking for. When replacing hooks on a bait, I replace the same size , just a better brand, or I downsize the hook , but I would never jump up unless I want to change the action. A bigger hook takes away some of the action of the bait, a smaller hook increases the action, maybe not enough for us to notice it, but the fish seem to know. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 08:42 PM   #12
pig n jig

http://www.gamakatsu.com/new_products/new_roundbend.htm
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 11:01 PM   #13
bass kicker

you would be suprised at how much that extre weight can make a difference

best way to see if it affects it is to let it sit in the sink and if it usally floats and is sinking then the lure will have lost some of its original action
Old 03-05-06, 12:32 AM   #14
lizardsrule

WTBF,

It possibly could change the action. You won't know how much until you test them. However changing the action may be a GOOD thing. You just stated the the hook change on your other crank, ended up being the Bomb, these may be also. You might however get the hooks caught together more often though. Just like those stinking Manns -1, that keep catching fish LOL

PNJ,

You have a memory like a Elephant, you have a link for everything LOL

Lizards
Old 03-06-06, 12:27 PM   #15
Wishing2BFishing

PnJ, I saw those Katsu' size 5's on the Katsu' website. Now, I must find a store that has them in stock.

Marty, I hope you are correct about the larger hook size not changing the action (at least not for the worse). While waiting for the weather to break, I changed many of my hooks to size 4s. I know the change worked well last year on the DT-4s. I am hoping for the same result on the other cranks. If it doesn't work, I am going to be stuck changing back all my hooks.

You know, I was thinking, perhaps Katsu should also make short shank trebles. Of course, then I would be trying to decide whether to go with the original vs. the short shank. One more decision that I can live without.
Old 03-06-06, 08:51 PM   #16
Marty

Quote:
Marty, I hope you are correct about the larger hook size not changing the action (at least not for the worse). While waiting for the weather to break, I changed many of my hooks to size 4s. I know the change worked well last year on the DT-4s. I am hoping for the same result on the other cranks. If it doesn't work, I am going to be stuck changing back all my hooks.
Well, there seem to be some differences of opinion, just like there are on just about any topic. So I guess you'll find out on the water. Let us know how you make out.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 09:27 PM   #17
crankybait

does this mea i can make all my hooks the smallest size and have lures with really nice action?

oh and you can test your lure in a tub. thats what i do with the stuff i make. doesnt show it for distance or much, but you can see what 3 cranks or so would look like
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 09:32 PM   #18
Rebbasser

It probably wouldn't make much difference in the action but you would probably lose a lot of fish.
Old 03-06-06, 09:34 PM   #19
crankybait

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
Wishin, I posted on this to you today somewhere else here. Yes it will change the action if you go from a 6 to a 4.Did you know that Gamakatsu makes a size 5 treble hook. It just might be the ticket you are looking for. When replacing hooks on a bait, I replace the same size , just a better brand, or I downsize the hook , but I would never jump up unless I want to change the action. A bigger hook takes away some of the action of the bait, a smaller hook increases the action, maybe not enough for us to notice it, but the fish seem to know. P N J
seema like it might be worth the risk... mybe just down onse size. would it matter so much?
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 10:07 PM   #20
bass kicker

i am not realy sure what would happen just go out fishing and try it
Old 03-07-06, 10:48 AM   #21
zooker

actually i go down a hook size in front and up a hook size in the back. all cranks run nose down a smaller hook up front tends to hang up less. the bigger hook on the back aids in better hook ups...

zooker
Old 03-07-06, 11:16 AM   #22
Wishing2BFishing

Zook, it is interesting that you go down a size in the front and up a size in the back. Many of the crankbaits on the market have a larger hook up front and a smaller one on the back. I absolutely hate the small hook on the back . . . I honestly believe that I lost several fish because of puny hooks.

Anyway, after changing to the larger on the back end, did you see any noticeable changes in the action? Did you still catch fish on the cranks that you changed?
Old 03-07-06, 01:43 PM   #23
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

wtbf
I don't think you see much of an action change with a 6 and 4.
I change a lot of my hooks from trebel to single and have notice quite a bit of difference.
I also cut the 3rd hook off the treble so they fit flat against the body of the lure, to stop hangups.
I do miss a fish or two, but it is a trade off that I can live with.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 01:55 PM   #24
Wishing2BFishing

Huck, thanks for the info . . .

You actually cut off a part of the trebles? It makes sense that it would prevent hangups, I just don't know if I could bring myself to do that.
Old 03-07-06, 01:57 PM   #25
Wishing2BFishing

Huck, it is intersting to hear eveyone's preferences regarding hook modifications/changes . . . I was surprised to see that there were so many different approaches and ideas.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.