Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-10-09, 04:29 PM   #1
Tennessee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Need some help with reel break down

I have a couple of the Quantum TG400cx's

After the handle and the 3 screws I can't get the side plate off and get to the bearings I don't want to break the plastic side plate am I missing something???

Thanks Will
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 05:26 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Take the other side plate off , there is a chrome lever on the bottom of the reel.Push it in towards the center of the reel and the side plate pushes downward and out. Up front by the nose of the reel, you will see a screw. That is holding your other side plate on. Let me know if you need any more assistance. Once you have the side plate off ,pull the spool out and wax the spool shaft.See if that doesn't help your reels performance a little bit.Remember no oil or grease in the instant anti reverse roller bearing.Ivan

Last edited by pig n jig; 01-10-09 at 05:43 PM.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 11:37 PM   #3
The Doc

I have one of the same reels, and I took it apart to clean it. When I put it back together, I broke it. Now when I depress the thumb bar, the reel will re-engage, but the spool will not rotate. It makes a clicking noise. If I turn the reel on its side, the spool will rotate while turning the handle, but if I turn it the other way, it goes back to not rotating the spool and making the clicking noise. Anyone have a clue about it?
Old 01-11-09, 12:36 AM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Doc, it sounds like you may not have put it back together quite right. Try breaking it down and reassembling it. If that does not work you may have stripped a gear.
Old 01-11-09, 04:54 AM   #5
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
I have one of the same reels, and I took it apart to clean it. When I put it back together, I broke it. Now when I depress the thumb bar, the reel will re-engage, but the spool will not rotate. It makes a clicking noise. If I turn the reel on its side, the spool will rotate while turning the handle, but if I turn it the other way, it goes back to not rotating the spool and making the clicking noise. Anyone have a clue about it?
Did you have line on the spool ? Sometimes it might have looped down around the spool shaft .

Sometimes you didn't get the gear to the line pawl and the crank handle aligned properly.You can even break the teeth off the line pawl gear if you force the two together.

The other thing is make sure the star drag and spool tension knob are applying the pressure required.In example,don't tighten the spool tension knob down before assembling the reel complete with the spool shaft.

* Another thing is make sure your two little pinion gear springs are where they are supposed to be.One or both can fall off the post and not allow the pinion gear to hold up against the spool shaft connection.They are difficult to find at times as well.

Its difficult to say.Take it apart and redo it and check the things I mentioned. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 04:20 PM   #6
pig_n_jig

Hey Tennesee, How did you make out with getting the reels apart ? P N J

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.