Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-10-09, 11:35 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Placing Structure

Lets say you have a lake that was man made , about 10 acres , and just bowl shaped , no creek channels or deeper water ,where would you place artificial structure ? If there was no other structure in the lake ? What if there were a few trees down in the lake from the bank ( blown over into the water ) ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 12:10 AM   #2
WIUbassin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

well if your fishing from a boat, I'd put it somewhere bank anglers couldn't fish/snag it.
Old 01-11-09, 12:26 AM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

take yer christmas trees and tie a concrete block to em and throw em out in da middle or a little closer to one side. you can make good habitats for fish easy in a pond that size. old tractor tires are good too. regular tires work as well. heck, get some pallets and throw em in. just remember WHERE ya put em.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 01:10 AM   #4
Nitro 640

Plastic pipes with holes in them. Make a H shape with it.
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 07:04 AM   #5
pig n jig

Any where you find hard bottom is where they will be, so placing structure on hard bottom areas will attract more fish on a regular basis.They might not always bite but they probably will always be some fish there. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 10:43 AM   #6
CMorg

PNJ I really doubt theres any hard bottom there , I am sure it was silted over years ago..This lake or pond , used to be a power plant lake , there is two of them , one lake fed the other in times of low water , now its our city park lake , its close to home for me , and I fish them alot when I dont want to be gone all day long...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 11:53 AM   #7
Jigger

I'd mix it up. Put something near shore where the spawn of the year could hide from predators and where shallow fish could hang out and also sink some deep for the extremely cold or hot months and for crappie to hang in.

Christmas trees are good for a short period but they don't last long. Hardwoods and cedar trees last longer.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 11:53 AM   #8
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
PNJ I really doubt theres any hard bottom there , I am sure it was silted over years ago..This lake or pond , used to be a power plant lake , there is two of them , one lake fed the other in times of low water , now its our city park lake , its close to home for me , and I fish them alot when I dont want to be gone all day long...
I am guessing wherever there are bass ,there must be something suitable or close to hard bottom if they are reproducing ?Find the spawning beds and then plant your structure close to the spawning area but out in deeper water . If you want to relocate the spawning beds to an area near you, dump stretches of pea gravel in nearby areas of the lake.Maybe you can get your city or D.E.C. to do it for you, Maybe go house to house and get a partition signed stating X number of people support the idea in the name of preserving nature or some stupid thing ? It seems to be the trend these days ? Where there is a will there is a way. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 01:16 PM   #9
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

you'd be surprised how much a wind storm can move placed structure even when cemented down. I've watched
guides each spring replace trees in spots that no one fishes and is close to the marina so that they dont spend a ton on gas each day. I was talking to Rodney who is the guide at big bear marina and he claims those big wind storms are a pain in the arse LOL
Its also been my experience that when we put christmas trees in a pond, after a few years the vegetation covers some after it dies and you kind of loose the branches , it ends up looking like a hump of green vegetation.

That being said I'd still recommend trees in any body of water, just keep in mind each year you may have to hunt for them.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 10:30 PM   #10
BassBandit

Lay your tarp on front and back boat deck. Place a couple of flat stone then with shovel pile up with pea gravel. When at desired spot, dump em all in except tarp of course. Mark it with GPS. You can make another trip to add something else to it. Place it in deep part of pond not far from shallow. Hot spot year round
Old 01-12-09, 10:38 AM   #11
Bob Smith

Guys, here's an interesting article on Structure Fishing that will clarify the issue a little bit. It begins with the difference between structure and cover. It's very important to understand that difference.
http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/cr...cture101.shtml

In fact if you Google "Structure, fishing related" there are numerous articles available.

I think that Pig N jig makes a good point that if you can find some hard bottom somewhere in that pond, that would be where I would place the cover (trees, brush, PVS drain pipe, oak pallets) anything that would allow algae growth and attract baitfish, and provide potential predator ambush cover. If there is no cover of any type and no significant changes in structure, then place it on the side that receives the most prevalent wind, so that the photoplankton will be blown into it.

Last edited by Bob Smith; 01-12-09 at 02:19 PM.
Bob Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 11:52 AM   #12
Fish2win

Morg this is something that I have done for years. By trial and era I have learned certain things that may help you in your choice of material and location. The best places to place locators are along sections of banks where there is absolutely no other cover. A red clay bank with out a single laydown or rock would be great. I have therorized the reason is because there is no other cover there to compete for the fish and these are also banks where other anglers most usually wont fish. Isolateing you cover will concentrate the fish. Strangely, fish will find it very fast even in these locations and will tend to stay longer.
Watch your depth. Most often I see brush that is way to shallow. Take drawn down or draught conditions into account and also time of the year. Make sure that any trees you use are securley anchored tio the bottom if they float or move from wind or wavers they will not be very effective.
Consider the loss of folage. Christmas trees look much bigger when they are put into the lake than they will be once the needles drop off. I use 2 to 3 times what you would think. Old tires mixed with trees are great. Cedar trees are much better than pines or other evergreens. They last longer. Try taking 2 or 3 old tires. Lash them together and stand them up. Then tie brush over the top. Gives bass a great ambush point. Also lash several together placeing hard wood branches between there sides to make artificial stumps.
Place your trees so that the limbs are facing the direction you will retrieve your lure from. make for less hangups.
Off shore humps are great locations.
Rock piles also work well when placed in deeper water. This is especially true for spotted bass. Stack them up like a fence. Once they get algea growth they will attract crawfish and make cover.
You will be able to catch all types of fish from this type cover. I usually try to place them were they will be 15 to 30 feet deep during the summer. Consider the depth you find fish in the summer. That is when you need these spots.
The lake I build these on has a draw down typically of 30 feet. After one year lots of guys find them and fish the devil out of them.I just build new ones every winter and have at least one year of privacy. They still hold fish for many years but get fished more and more as people find them. During this time of year I can usually place them on dry ground that may be 30 feet deep next summer.
Fish2win
Old 01-12-09, 01:21 PM   #13
Raul

You canīt place structure, you place cover.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 02:06 PM   #14
woody

I would try to place your cover near a defined edge in the structure.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.