Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 06-26-11, 10:43 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default My half day of fishing.

Yesterday my brother and I got out on a lake I've never fished before called Dewart Lake. It's a 500 some acre lake located in the NW portion of Indiana. We were on the water by 5AM. It was one of those days full of high expectaion but without the results we were wishing for. For the first time this year I got skunked. lol But I had a great time on the water. I shouldn't have got skunked though. I was working an area with a 3" Excaliber popper where it looked as though the bass were chasing shad. No takers except on one cast where a huge bass exploded on my popper as I was lifting it from the water. Man I wish I'd hooked into that one. About an hour later, I had a strong hit on a spinnerbait but missed the hookup. The previous night I had strung new line on that reel and had turned the drag way back when I was running the line back through the guides of the rod after remounting the reel to the rod. I FORGOT TO RETIGHTEN THE DRAG!!! I went to set the hook and nothing happened except slipage. Grrrr I will never make that mistake again! I also watched a small bass shoot up and grab my new Larry Dahlberg Swimmin Frog by the legs and run off with it. That Swimmin Frog looks great! Can't wait to use that again. My brother caught 1 rock bass on a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait. Sheesh. What was that rock bass thinking??? We tried everything"almost". The lake has a reputation for good fishing and no doubt it does. This lake looks great across the board. Very good weedbeds boarder deep water aboound. Shallow humps surounded by deeper water. Lots of long wide piers, All kinds of different vegitation growing in the lake, a real nice mix. Strong breaklines where you can visually see where the deeper water drops off along the weed edges making it easy to follow and work both shallow and deep at the same time. I worked surface lures, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, frogs, jigs, senkos given to me from nobass, both t-rigged and wacky rigged. But once the sun rose and we had a bright cloudless sky the fishing tanked. I know there will be days like that and thats ok. Just makes me want to get back out on that lake and try it again!
Old 06-26-11, 11:09 AM   #2
Bassboss

Dang, that sucks. I've done also left the drag backed way off when I set the hook, and it's cost for fish for sure. Good luck next time though buddy!
Old 06-26-11, 11:20 AM   #3
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Keith, you're not the only one that got skunked yesterday. It happened to me too. The high pressure weather conditions also had my fish shut down. My bass were very reluctant to bite; and when they did, it was more like a nibble rather than a bite.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 12:02 PM   #4
Bender

Keith, I've always heard that Dewart is pretty good but I have never been there. There are a lot of lakes in that area that I'd like to check out. I used to live in Warsaw and sure wish that I fished back then. Hopefully your next trip to that lake will be a lot better.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 02:54 PM   #5
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Keith, I've always heard that Dewart is pretty good but I have never been there. There are a lot of lakes in that area that I'd like to check out. I used to live in Warsaw and sure wish that I fished back then. Hopefully your next trip to that lake will be a lot better.
I didn't know you were from Warsaw. If you ever make it back this way maybe we can get together for some time on the water.
Old 06-27-11, 10:24 AM   #6
nofearengineer

Keith, I went fishing yesterday and got skunked too! It must be something in the air. Usually, I won't give up until I catch something, but the weather report was not too nice, so I decided to hang it up.
Old 06-27-11, 10:01 PM   #7
WatterBoy

Sorry to hear you got skunked, Keith, but at least you got out there and enjoyed the time on the water. I fished all weekend with my nephews and will try to post a report in the next day or two.

Dean
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 10:52 PM   #8
bcklash

I also got skunked Sat. But thank goodness we stayed and fished Sun. Like the song says they think we're just fishing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.