Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 06-27-11, 08:49 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fishing with 2011 PVA leader

My friend Tony asked me if I'd take him out on the Potomac to get ready for the upcoming PVA tournament. He's currently the points leader and if he does well, a top 10 finish, he's a lock to win AOY and that means he fishes the Federation Championship which also means he's got a shot at the making the Classic. For anyone that's a huge opportunity. How could I turn him down? Plus Tony can whack some fish!!!
So we meet up, get to the ramp, load his boat, and head out. Now for those who haven't fished with PVA members you have to remember that these guys are either disabled or paralyzed and it takes a lot for them to just go fishing so keep it in mind.
We get out on the river and I take him to a small grass bed that I've fished in the past but not this year. He's never fished it so I explain the what's and why's about the area and pick up two quality keepers. The second one, about 3lbs, sucks down a RC Wake.

We head back into a feeder creek and fish our way out. We both catch a couple keepers and Tony whacks a good fish on a creature in the pads. I should have snapped a pic but didn't. We get done and Tony asks for me to take him into the creek I've been fishing for the past month so we make a little run. This is the tough part about fishing for Tony since he's paralyzed and can't get up and down like most of us can. So when we fish an area we stay there and really fish. Which is something I've learned can be very good. Makes you really work an area before giving up on it. I've learned over the times I've fished with him that two to three areas is the most he's comfortable fishing and it's tough for him to spend a full day on the water. So we head to the third spot of the day...and the bite turns on heading out of the creek.

and I hit another on a Nemesis Bullet Craw (this time I got a little better pic of the craw).

While fishing in the creek Tony sets the hook and comes back empty. He puts the craw back in the same spot and sets again but this time comes up with braided line. He's about to unhook it and dump the line and I tell him to hang on that there might be a lure on the end of the line. He jokes that there could be a rod on the other end too. So I start pulling up line and get a big ball of grass and line. I set it on the deck and start pulling from the other direction. More and more line comes up and it seems like 5 minutes of tugging I finally get to the end and theres a pfluger 6'6" IM6 rod with an Abu Black Max attached to it. Both are in good condition but a little muddy . The other end has a Kermie Popper on it but isn't in the best of condition but not bad for just pulling up some "discarded" line.

For those who have the opportunity get out and support the PVA or Wounded Warrior organizations.

And next time I'll post a pic or two of Tony with his fish...... He caught a bunch and some good ones too.
Old 06-27-11, 08:57 PM   #2
bcklash

Smitty this is so cool. Please keep us updated on Tony's tournaments.
Old 06-27-11, 09:51 PM   #3
WatterBoy

Great post, Smitty. Looking forward to reading the next update and seeing pics of Tony and his fish!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 05:02 PM   #4
3dkicker

I'll see what I can do about posting up to date pics of Tony. Probably get a bunch from the Potomac event at the end of July from the PVA website. I'll be out competing against him, sort of, so I won't be in his boat to take any.

Plus I kept all the good spots for myself.....
Old 07-01-11, 05:21 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

smitty.......AWESUM!!! hurry up witht he other pics man!!!
Old 07-01-11, 11:33 PM   #6
3dkicker

I'd be happy to but the PVA Potomac is 24-25th of July. I'm sure he'll be fishing the club tournament next weekend. I'll see if I can get a pic or two of him on the water.
Old 07-01-11, 11:35 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

we'll be here smitty..........we'll be here pal.
Old 07-01-11, 11:46 PM   #8
3dkicker

I'd like to see the pics of him at the Fed. Championship......now that would be cool!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.