Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-15-06, 07:41 PM   #26
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would rate myself a 7. I have been bass fishing for over 12 years, I win a few tournaments every year, but I credit those wins to my good friend Jeff, who wins the majority of the tournaments he fishes, no matter who he has for a partner.Latley, I have been kicking around the idea of giving up bass fishing,but can't figure out what to do to fill the huge void that I would have in my life ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 08:11 PM   #27
HulaPopr

2,4,7,8. Have only been fishing about 2 years, own more than 7 rods, I am obsessed and fish as often as I can, I've confidently used just about every technique and caught fish, not all, but most, and I've got plenty of bass over 8.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 11:48 PM   #28
Deacon
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I guess Im a combo of a few of the numbers....

5- Active in a bass club, and have 8 years of fishing under my belt
8- Have mastered all techniques of bass fishing, have several fish caught that weigh over 8 lbs
9- Feel confident that you can win or place in any local tourney, and have done so in the past.

So I guess if I took the average that would make me a 7.3333333. So there ya go....Thanks Jb that was kinda cool!
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 04:58 AM   #29
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm #11. I fish like a fool and love the hell out of it. I read anything and everything I can to learn, have the utmost fun doing it every chance I get..and don't care one single bit about proving my "wang" is bigger than someone elses. I don't care about competing with anyone or anything but the fish and if I catch em, I beat em..and thats what counts. I've fished for 12 years, don't know everything, know a little more than "nothing" and probably never will know it all. I've "mastered" what I know(theres ALWAYS something new that you haven't tried), but haven't caught a fish on everything I know.

BOTTOM LINE: I love fishing and I'll do it until the good Lord won't let me.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 08:37 AM   #30
BassAddict

I've been bass fishing since I was old enough to hold a fishing rod. About 30 years now. My dad fished in a club when I was a kid and I fished father son tourneys with him. Now my brother and I fish tournaments together. Year before last we won the Virginia-East division of Fishers of Men Tournament Trail and got to fish the National Championship tourney on KY/Barkley lake last summer. We finished 39th out of about 114 teams. Missed the top 25 cut by 1.5 lbs.
I fished one BFL tournament as a co-angler on the James River and finished 16th and got a check.
I wouldn't say I've mastered all techniques but I'm pretty versatile. I could stand to improve fishing real deep water.
Well that's my deal so you can rate it where you want. I just love to fish whether it's competitive or just relaxing in a private pond!

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 08:52 AM   #31
Set-The-Hook
BassFishin.Com Member

A big 7 I took 2years off of work and moved to texas and fished , and fished and fished. Many tournyies under the belt. But then gas prices went up and this year I went back to work and only fish for fun and to practice, for one day I will make a living through fishing. In some capacity not sure what but fishing is my passion.

great list!
Set-The-Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 09:16 AM   #32
HOG Ranger

I have been bass fishing for 30 years but have little or no desire to fish in tourneys. I simply enjoy fishing and when things become competitive sometimes you lose the purpose of why you had the passion for it when you started.

I am not saying you shouldn't be competitive, I am saying that after a stressful week it is nice for me and my wife (sometimes my dog) to enjoy some quality time and relax.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 12:41 PM   #33
pretjah

i'm a 3 going on a 10...lolol just kidding about the going on a 10 part....
pretjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 03:02 PM   #34
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Not sure where I would fit in on your scale there JB,

I've been bass fishin for close to 15 yrs now, but have never fished a tourney. I have about 15 different rods n reels, but use mainly four or five consistanly. I fish about 3 days a week on average a year, and I feel my experience and confidence are my best attributes, but don't consider myself a top notch angler, since I fish for fun and just to be out on the water, catching fish is not the main goal for me, but it sure is nice when I do....

I rarely get skunked, I usually catch anywhere from 4 to 15 fish per trip, depending on the weather and the fish themselves. I have been outfished on several occassions where others where catching fish and I could not, and then again, the shoe has been on the other foot as well.
On my own scale of 1 thru 10, "HOW GOOD A FISHERMAN ARE YOU", I would rate myself a 6, maybe a 7 on a good day.
Watching the wild life, and enjoying the water/weather, and just kicking back with a good friend is my idea of having a good time.

I take my bass fishing seriously, but I don't get all wrapped up in it, I'll leave that headache to the pro's. The only ad on our boat is Ranger VS175.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 03:06 PM   #35
Captmikestarrett

I guess I am the last one, but prefer to take people fishing since I am always a money winner there.

Oddly after fifteen years guiding and several years before that in the tournys I still get that giddy feeling each morning I wake up to go fishing. I am truly addicted..

Capt Mike
Captmikestarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 04:01 PM   #36
flbassman

Well you know, it's hard to rate yourself or others. I have never seen anyone on this board throw a cast, and they haven't seen me. I do know, that I am not as good as many on here with years of fishing behind them, and a god-given ability to catch fish. My dad would not rate on that scale. He's fished for forty years, but has never won a bass tournament. He might fish twice a month, but when he goes, he can pull 'em out of a mud puddle. He owns one rod that is set up for bass fishing, and very few bass lures. He fished on the mako tournament trail, and was George Poveromo's right hand man until I came along. I don't see a " Fished entire life, but not bass crazy, yet still full of knowledge" on the scale. It is hard to rate something as broad as fishing experience on a rigid scale. Still a cool idea though
Old 05-16-06, 04:12 PM   #37
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

what number best describes your bass fishing experience

actually these random thoughts were written not as a scale, but
rather was posted to stimulate sharing our experiences, most interesting indeed! and thanks all for the replies, and insight.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 07:04 PM   #38
flbassman

Yeah Jb, it did promote stimulating conversation, and I definitely enjoyed reading it.
Old 05-16-06, 09:00 PM   #39
lizardsrule

I don't rate on your list LOL I fish anywhere, anytime I can period! I fished some tourneys, and haven't won. But I bet ya I can I just fish, and fish more, and then when I get uptight I fish more

Lizards
Old 05-16-06, 09:29 PM   #40
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
I´ve caught over 100 10+ lbs fish, my PB is 13.86,
A few months ago, I would have really thought that BS Now I realize it's possible, and look forward to getting halfway to that point LOL. But I should get a handicap, I had to fish in Indiana for 30+ of my 41 years. Nice resume, couldn't imagine what would be more fun than fishing though

Lizards
Old 05-17-06, 08:09 AM   #41
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

I rate myself as a "10" on everything.....I have to ....I have noone that will do it for me.....hehehehehe......
Old 05-17-06, 04:20 PM   #42
bassnman30

Some of the terms are related to each other.
Old 05-17-06, 04:42 PM   #43
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
A few months ago, I would have really thought that BS Now I realize it's possible, and look forward to getting halfway to that point LOL. But I should get a handicap, I had to fish in Indiana for 30+ of my 41 years. Nice resume, couldn't imagine what would be more fun than fishing though

Lizards
Itīs not impossible when you live in a country where a 10 pounder is a "good" fish , in order to be a BIGUN it needs to be in the teens, high teens . Whatīs more fun than fishing ? being a veterinarian.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-06, 04:46 PM   #44
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintxlady
I rate myself as a "10" on everything.....I have to ....I have noone that will do it for me.....hehehehehe......
A 10 on everything ? You know if you anit got a cowgirl hat,Laser rules reads that its an automatic deduction of 2 points,only leaving you to be 8 at best, unless you do in fact have the hat, then Darlin you could be a 10 instead of just being 8 ? P N J
Old 05-17-06, 04:52 PM   #45
pig n jig

Not to mislead anyones thoughts from the thread, we are talking about fishing skills here. Zooker, I could only imagine what direction your thoughts were going,except that they be headed in the wrong direction . P N J
Old 05-17-06, 05:10 PM   #46
zooker

now pnj
don't make post the picture of your girl friend..

zooker
Old 05-17-06, 05:58 PM   #47
pig n jig

Does she look any of Tommy's latest avatars ? P N J
Old 05-17-06, 06:17 PM   #48
bass kicker

i have also caught tones of fish over 10 lbs just none of them were bass
Old 05-17-06, 07:23 PM   #49
lovinfishin9

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

I have to give myself a 3. ive been bass fishing for a few years now but ive fished in a couple small tournies.
Old 05-18-06, 12:21 AM   #50
flamez

8 years of bass fishing exp (half of my life O_o) and can catch a fish on everything but a jig -.-

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.